SAU Community

Superlap Timeattack Is Ago!

giant

So looks like the BEL EVO is a serious contender, chasing 1:13's??? Fark that's fast. Must have gone on a serious diet.

How does the Lotus compare to the EVO in regards to these times Bozman??

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting theory Nathan. Not sure why BEL would do what you say, as most people with knowledge know most circuits get slower in the afternoon :(

That is probably why they have struggled for so long :P

Hey Jack. The car is super fast but they (the team) I believe have probably lacked real track experience. They are certainly starting to employ the right people now though. They have had so many people jump in that car or the previous car over the years giving feedback....sometimes the wrong feedback.

The Lotus has beaten it at previous track days but I think that may be due the driver they have had. If they had the right driver in the thing to give them proper feedback it would certainly be an outright contender, and would certainly beat the little Lotus.

Hey this might be a silly question but will there be a tyre fitter at the event.

I know there is at a drift event but these grip events are all a bit new to me.

If so will they be able to fit tyres to 18x12.

Cheers

Interesting theory Nathan. Not sure why BEL would do what you say, as most people with knowledge know most circuits get slower in the afternoon :(

That is probably why they have struggled for so long :whistling:

Hey Jack. The car is super fast but they (the team) I believe have probably lacked real track experience. They are certainly starting to employ the right people now though. They have had so many people jump in that car or the previous car over the years giving feedback....sometimes the wrong feedback.

The Lotus has beaten it at previous track days but I think that may be due the driver they have had. If they had the right driver in the thing to give them proper feedback it would certainly be an outright contender, and would certainly beat the little Lotus.

I agree with Boz, roll it out of the pits when the air is cool and blow the competition away with a super quick time straight up, demoralise them. If you, the team and driver, know your stuff, then the car should be the best it's going to be. As the day wears on, the car and the track just get slower. Also you run the risk of the weather conditions getting worse or someone dropping a sump full of oil.

More importantly, for a workshop, I think it shows how good they are. They turn up with a car that's ready to go fast that has been prepared in their workshop. I think turning up with a fully prepared car is a very good thing promotionally. That the mechanics have done the job properly back in the shop. That they haven't had to work on the car all day in the pits is a good sign. Plus a good time early on gives potential customers reason and time to talk to you during the day. You can't sell your product if they only find out in the results the next day because you did it so late in the day that they had already packed up.

Slow early and fast late may not have been deliberate on this occasion as the weather got better as the day progressed, until the oil down of course.

Cheers

Gary

I agree with Boz, roll it out of the pits when the air is cool and blow the competition away with a super quick time straight up, demoralise them. If you, the team and driver, know your stuff, then the car should be the best it's going to be. As the day wears on, the car and the track just get slower. Also you run the risk of the weather conditions getting worse or someone dropping a sump full of oil.

More importantly, for a workshop, I think it shows how good they are. They turn up with a car that's ready to go fast that has been prepared in their workshop. I think turning up with a fully prepared car is a very good thing promotionally. That the mechanics have done the job properly back in the shop. That they haven't had to work on the car all day in the pits is a good sign. Plus a good time early on gives potential customers reason and time to talk to you during the day. You can't sell your product if they only find out in the results the next day because you did it so late in the day that they had already packed up.

Slow early and fast late may not have been deliberate on this occasion as the weather got better as the day progressed, until the oil down of course.

Cheers

Gary

I agree but each to their own. The feeling I got on Sunday was that they wer enot over caring about their times they were more interested in the cars setup.

Anyway whos coming to Oran Park on Saturday?

I agree but each to their own. The feeling I got on Sunday was that they wer enot over caring about their times they were more interested in the cars setup.

Anyway whos coming to Oran Park on Saturday?

Not me, I'm swapping gearbox ratios in one of the race team cars, 4th time in 3 weeks, I'm getting good at it.

Cheers

Gary

I hear what you are saying Nathan, but in reality it probably shows your inexperience at driving as well. You look at people that have been driving for years; Harry, Gary, Lofty etc and they will tell you that you cannot setup a car at half pace. As Harry said they all feel great at 8/10th's.

Bring on Superlap!!!!!

As for saturday, I am picking up a GT2 Porsche that I am testing for MOTOR for the week. I think I might be busy :banana:

Anyway enough of BEL, who else can we talk about :D

Edited by Bozman1

I hear what you are saying Nathan, but in reality it probably shows your inexperience at driving as well. You look at people that have been driving for years; Harry, Gary, Lofty etc and they will tell you that you cannot setup a car at half pace. As Harry said they all feel great at 8/10th's.

Bring on Superlap!!!!!

As for saturday, I am picking up a GT2 Porsche that I am testing for MOTOR for the week. I think I might be busy :banana:

Anyway enough of BEL, who else can we talk about :D

As I said there stratergy has nothing to do with me and it obviously works for them :D. hmmmm GT2 they look like a bit of fun.

Edited by Superlap Australia

Trouble is these days Boz, my 10/10ths will be more like your 8/10ths.

Bring on Superlap!!!!!

Here here, but not too quick I have plenty of work to do on both cars, plus a couple of customer cars.

As for saturday, I am picking up a GT2 Porsche that I am testing for MOTOR for the week. I think I might be busy

A porch in the wet, always fun :D

Anyway enough of BEL, who else can we talk about

How about a Top 10 tipping competition?

Not in any order, my guesses;

Hi Octane Racing R34 GTR - Driver :: Mark Berry

Unique Autosports 300ZX - Driver :: John Penlington

Bel Garage Evo 9 RS - NSW - Driver :: If it's PP

ALS Performance BMW 325TI Turbo - Driver :: Andrew Schmidt

Brandster Services R32 GTR - Driver :: If it's Lofty or Boz

Ric Shaw FD3S RX-7 - Driver :: Ric Shaw

Southern Motor Works Lotus Exige Turbo - Driver :: John Boston

MazSport Series 4 RX-7 - Driver :: Bill Nabhan

Jade Automotive R32 GTR - Driver :: Jason

Stephen Kakavas GC8 WRX - Driver :: Stephen Kakavas

Cheers

Gary

I may have a surprise entry from NZ aswell who may be right up there. And after Steve's efforts on sunday in a stock turbo Evo 9 in his well prepped wrx he may be closer to the top aswell :D he is crazy. Also Cameron Dyal in his Evo 8MR should be up there. This is exactly what we are hoping for, a top 10 that is so close it is imposible to pick :banana:

Edited by Superlap Australia

That Bel garage Evo is quick :D , with one of our race team drivers in it did a 1.44.572 at Eastern Creek yesterday IN THE RAIN. That was the fastest time at the Evo versus WRX Challenge, but not by much (0.05 sec). Driver's report was that it will do sub 40's in the dry with some minor sorting. Looks like my early guess that a 1.12 to 1.13 at Oran Park will be necessary to win this thing.

Cheers

Gary

Who was driving the BEL EVO????

I will be there on Sat.

Tipping comp that is a hard one and hard to beat Mark in hs GTR but such a line up of other top class cars with good drivers and experience. As I said the first one is going to be interesting, and a bench mark and indication of who's who.

Interesting theory Nathan. Not sure why BEL would do what you say, as most people with knowledge know most circuits get slower in the afternoon :)

That is probably why they have struggled for so long :banana:

Doing 1:44's at EC on a wet track, I'd say it would make giant's 32 look slow in the dry...

Can't wait to see it at Superlap, providing they have the right driver for it...

So is there a tipping comp for the top ten in the clubman class?? :)

Be good to see some interstaters in the top ten...

And I'd say BEL EVO for 1st in open class, especially if its raining... :D

Doing 1:44's at EC on a wet track, I'd say it would make giant's 32 look slow in the dry...

Can't wait to see it at Superlap, providing they have the right driver for it...

So is there a tipping comp for the top ten in the clubman class?? :banana:

Be good to see some interstaters in the top ten...

And I'd say BEL EVO for 1st in open class, especially if its raining... :)

it will need to do 1:38's in the dry to beat mark at eastern creek on semi's :D

I will be there on Sat.

Rain is forcast over the weekend John, might be better to sit back in the comfy chair, on with the elbow patched cardy and

a warm cup of tea. :banana:

it will need to do 1:38's in the dry to beat mark at eastern creek on semi's :banana:

My point exactly, so if the claims given by the driver on that day are correct there should'nt be a problem..

I have found that on a wet track my times are at least 10 seconds slower than my best, but that's probably due to my lack of experience aswell...

I guess it comes down to how wet the track was, standing water or light sprinkle.

Either way it should be at the pointy end of the field, going by the times it is punching out lately...

So Russ, the R34 is definetly out for this event???