SAU Community

Superlap Timeattack Is Ago!

giant

Intresting you say that as you will see there are cones on the track representing turn in, apex and exit. Those cones were layed out by John Bowe and I walked the track with him as he did it. We discussed the various lines and the pros and cons of diffrent approaches to the track. I tried to do what he said but who knows what I was doing in the heat of the moment.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Intresting you say that as you will see there are cones on the track representing turn in, apex and exit. Those cones were layed out by John Bowe and I walked the track with him as he did it. We discussed the various lines and the pros and cons of diffrent approaches to the track. I tried to do what he said but who knows what I was doing in the heat of the moment.

Interesting, watching your video seemed like exactly how I drove the circuit for the first time, and resulted in a 1:36.8 (first time there).

But by changing my approach to turn 3 (fast left hand sweeper leading into chicane), and a few other corners my time dropped down to 1:33.4 (second time there).

I've only been to Winton twice, so its probably a good idea not to take advice from me... :down:

as for power only making you faster even on street tyres - you've never seen lower powered cars further up the results in the wet?

I hear what you are saying, but thats not exactly what i said. My point was a well setup car will work nicely on good road tyres, yes the setup could be optimised for the different level of tyre grip. But many less sorted cars like mine hide behind the level of grip the tyres give, and my not so sorted car can still punch pretty good times considering. But tyres hide the vices. So throw a less sorted car on crap tyres and without the grip the better sorted car on teh same tyre will only increase the margin.

Yes less powered cars can often do better in the wet. But if you happen to have more power, with great power delivery and response to go with the chassis then others arent going to do a lot of catching just because of slippery conditions. LOL well thats my take on things :D Wet can help cars with better dynamics but hurt in the power stakes. LOL what happens the the dynamics/chassis are the cream of the crop and they also happen to be top shelf in the grunt department :down:

Nice work Adz, my car straight out of the workshop with that suspension did something like a 1:38.1 (?) whilst being held up by the F430 at Dutton. Having only done 2 laps and if not for being held up would have walked into a low 1:37 if not high-mid 1:36. So obviously the suspension doesnt suit your car and power as well as mine. Perhaps we need to find another set to fiddle with to better suit your car if they changes need to be more dramatic. As my car was a lot more neutral, yours seems to want to understeer a lot more then mine. Being too soft? Perhaps my sway bars are larger then yours because if anything i thought they could have been softened up a little more. But then again your power delivery is worlds different to mine so no doubt pushes the whole traction thing to the extreme.

LOL, i know you have already been there done that, but i say bin the GT35R and go back to the 3076, then you will be able to take the 2nd gear corners in 3rd and use the midrange to push you out of the corners with a more tractable power delivery. I think thats why my car is so easy to drive because i have just enough corner speed so that the shorter gearing of the R32 diff/gearbox means i can honker out of slow corners in 3rd

Did some testing at Winton yesterday for the first time and got some footage. Still have heaps of work to do on the setup if I want to get anywhere near some of the quick RWD's in open class\

Enjoy

Always hard to decifer much from a wide angle video, but here's my 20 cents;

No enough rear squat, I can't see any weight transfer to the rear. With the slow throttle response that it has, you need weight transfer to soak up the torque hit. Rear spring rate? Rear cradle setting?

Similarly at the front it has insufficent weight transfer there as well, so the same questions need asking. Front spring rate? Front anti dive setting?

It seems to skip over the track iregularities, not follow the minor changes in track surface. Spring rates, maybe, but my second guess would be too much high frequency bump valving in the shocks?

It handles the ripple strips and larger bumps rather badly, to do a decent time around Wintoon it needs to ride the low frequency impacts without disturbing the balance.

Have you corner weighted it? It looks like it may handle right hand corners better than left ones. The esses being an interesting comparison.

Is that a screamer pipe I hear? It's damn annoying, I hope you are wearing some hearing protection.

Cheers

Gary

44's around the Island is not mucking around. Sounds like we are going to have some mega serious weapons at this event.

So has anyone else been doing any testing??

JP, how is the NASA aero testing going?

GTR Jason, when will your car be ready for testing?

Looks as though I will be putting on a day at Oran GP in early June. It will be during the week with quality driver training on hand to give free tuition. I will keep everybody posted.

I am definitely in for that. :thumbsup:

44's around the Island is not mucking around. Sounds like we are going to have some mega serious weapons at this event.

Looks as though I will be putting on a day at Oran GP in early June. It will be during the week with quality driver training on hand to give free tuition. I will keep everybody posted.

That sounds good

i think are a few from Queensland that want to get down if they can

yeah, I'd be interested as long as its timed. I'm trying to get the Datto back to IPRA specs for the QLD Hillclimb Championships at the end of May, but should be easy enough to whip out the restricor and upload the old tune back into it afterwards

Harry, buy a timer :laugh:

There is always a problem when insurance firms see timing at a driver training day. That way we don't have to have specific timed and untimed sessions. And the trainers can be in the cars as often as you like :laugh:

I am pretty sure most of the regulars have there own timers.

Honestly if people want to lie about lap times then let them. Nothing is more pathetic then bragging about winning a thrown fight, so if they want to be that fickle then ...whatever floats their sinking boat :laugh:

After last sunday's effort im in for that with the real car :)

Fast fours are looking after all the media side of things so your best option for that is to email [email protected] and ask him as he will be the one giving them out not us.

Cheers

-Nathan

Im suprised MOTOR or Wheels didnt want to do this one, or even HPI seeing as its an "import" event

Im suprised MOTOR or Wheels didnt want to do this one, or even HPI seeing as its an "import" event

It is EMG doing it which means HPI, Zoom, Fast Fours, hot4s and depending on how many holdens and fords enter then street commodores and street fords may do a few pages on it in their mags aswell. ;) There will be alot of coverage in alot of different mags and hopefully some form of DVD aswell.

-Nathan

Not really a MOTOR or WHEELS sort of event. TARMAC would be interested in this though!! I will get onto them ;)

It'd be good if Tarmac covered the event.

Picked up my copy on the weekend, top magazine! About time we had something decent back in the market.