SAU Community

Superlap Timeattack Is Ago!

giant

I agree that in Clubsprint class that the registered owner of the vehicle should be the driver.

A pro driver can make any car go fast.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who were the pro drivers?

Lets not go off on a tangent what classifies a pro driver and whether they have been payed to race or not.

Lets face it, your not an amatuer, your a senior advanced driver instructor with millions of laps under your belt.

I'm sure JP wouldn't have chosen you to drive the boat (in which you did a super job in coming 6th overall) if you didn't have the experience.

P.S Did someone drive the s2000 back home for Elias aswell??? :P

Lets not go off on a tangent what classifies a pro driver and whether they have been payed to race or not.

Lets face it, your not an amatuer, your a senior advanced driver instructor with millions of laps under your belt.

I'm sure JP wouldn't have chosen you to drive the boat (in which you did a super job in coming 6th overall) if you didn't have the experience.

P.S Did someone drive the s2000 back home for Elias aswell??? :P

bozo what would you charge to drive my car next time because im like john p scared of the power then you could drive three cars in a day :D

ps i will even put new retreads on for you ,you did a great job in the big black batmobile looked like a handfull all she needed was wings and robin in the passanger seat

On the whole I agree that it was a good day and I hope it does encourage mpre people to get on the track in an organised way and improve driving standards.

The level of marshalling does need to increase to be more like a proper supersrint at least or the organisers could find themselves in serious trouble. I didn't notice any calls for officials on any forums. I'm sure a few extra experienced track and flag marshalls could have been recruited from CAMS clubs. I know a few who would have been happy to do it.

That QSR RX-7 and the Fast Fours project S15 were sharing our pit garage. That RX-7 was stupid loud and left a nice puddle of oil in the garage when it went out for its final run. It was clear that those guys had SFA knowledge or experience at the race track and were very unprepared.

I believe that the S2000 should have been on the open class on the basis that it had forced induction (not trying to take anything away from JBs brilliant driving). If you could buy a turbo/supercharged S2000 from a Honda dealer then I'd be happy for it to be in the clubsprint class.

It would be nice to see some more Eurotrash and Aussie cars amongst the field. I'm sure that if the concept takes off then they will come.

I may be wrong, but it looked like some of the vendors weren't getting a lot of trade so I'm not sure how worthwhile they thought it was.

Perhaps the final battle needs to be more like the shoot out used at Bathurst with only 1 car on track at a time. That would prevent the controversy at the end of the day when Tim in the Elise was robbed (or given an unfair chance depending on your point of view). Conspiracy time; Would the protest have been upheld if Tim had been in a Jap car :P

I think the constant bullshit commentary was a negative. I had to yell to be be heard over it and eventually went around to the other side of the track to get away from it. The plus was watching cars through the flip flop. The Lotus's (Lotii?) were by far the most composed through there. It looked like they were going to the shops for a litre of milk while everyone else was bouncing over ripple strips and fighting the car, especially the landcruiser (and all credit to him for keeping it on the track)

I witnessed middleton run up the arse of the 34. Rank amateur fu(k up by a so called experienced campaigner and he didn't even have the decency to apologize. It's actually the first time i've witnessed car-car contact at a track day so it makes you wonder how guys with no experience know how to keep a gap and read what the car in front is doing and he doesn't....

I agree with jagr33 about pro driver in clubsprint too (sorry boz) but i'd go one step further and make it privately owned and run cars. There were quite a few cars in clubsprint which were heavily backed by workshops and were obviously entered in that class as they didn't stand a chance in open. While it's not against the rules i think it goes against the spirit of the rules....I'd change them for future events (because i'm not that much slower than that s2000 when it's driven by it's owner :P)

All in all i think it was a good day and hope to see more.

Perhaps the final battle needs to be more like the shoot out used at Bathurst with only 1 car on track at a time.

I totally agree. I had a great day, but even as a spectator i was Extreamly frustrated at how the final shoot out went down. They talked it up to no end, and i wasn't expecting fast times as it was late and the track looked pretty cold. But the timing was terrible. I was watching from the final corner, and nearly every car on the hot lap was coming in close to the car on it's cool down through the dogleg and final corner. It was one of the fastest sections, with plenty of cars getting air time in the earlier sessions :P but most of the shoot out drivers coming through this section, had to worry about the car on it's "cool down"

I had a great day best $15 i spent!

The day payed for itself, free car wash, dyno runs and show bags LOL pluss a full day of pretty much non stop racing.

I hope i don't have to wait another 12months for my next installment.

Was any1 on here the owner of the 32 that hit the wall it looked like a hard hit as it hit dead side on at full speed?

John is not a member of any forums. He is alright and only had a small neck pain after the acco. It was a huge hit and is going to leave us with the huge job of swapping the running gear from this car into their other car and have it ready for the Perth round of Dutton.

I agree with most here that osmeone like John Bozman should have been relegated to the open class but with street tyres i guess this should be enough to make it a level playing field.

I was actually a little disapointed that i couldnt enter the S14 in the Clubsprint class, its an RB26 and had to be entered in Open, as i was hoping to have some fun. After seeing the way these cars were hauling in the Open class i am so glad i didnt enter. This event was designed to entice people into the sport, unfortunately i think it has intimidated more than it has attracted!!!

HAHAHA No Elias drove it to and from the track.

Boys and girls, rules are rules. And we fit the rules with the S2000.

There are penty of good drivers around, and many of them were in club sprint. I love all of this :P

The cars are just going to get faster and faster. We may end up with 3 classes next time.

Everybody likes to have a whinge after the event :D

I was just pleased for Elias. He is a private owner with no workshop backing, and to have his car on the track and entertaining the crowd gave him a huge buzz.

I think I am going to buy it anyway, so next year I will be the owner LOL

GTR Jason I will drive your car for free, as I did with both on the weekend. I can drive as many as you can supply :D

I think the constant bullshit commentary was a negative. I had to yell to be be heard over it and eventually went around to the other side of the track to get away from it.

Yeah i found it pretty loud on start of the straight too, but it was too quiet in the corporate box/pit area... Minor detail though, not much the organisers can do about this!

I hope the event gets more positive than negative feedback. I thought it was fantastic. I'm cool with any driver in any car in any class. If you can pull a better time, then who better to brag about beating... Plus if you can get on the tail of an expert, its bloody good insight into how to get around the track properly..and then knock them off, maybe....

I must admit the commentary was killing me... I had to sit in the car with the windows up to get some peace and gather myself for each session. It was so loud I couldn't even understand the dude..

Well done Nathan and Ian for getting it happening....You can take my entry now...

FYI, I'm still pissed at that knob for ramming me ..... grrr.. what makes it worse is his head is so annoying...

what was annoying about the commentary?

BTW did all the transponders get returned to race control, all transponders to race control, all competitors with transponders return the transponders to race control....and in case you didn't get it the first 13 times....can competitors return the transponders to race control.

Edited by wolverine

A few photos I took at the event, more to come later...

Good representation from Nissan owners (probably 3/4 of the field). This GTR pushing hard...

IMG_13287web.jpg

Mr Boston in the awesome little s2000

IMG_13359web.jpg

Mr Boston proving the batmobile needs a bigger rear wing

IMG_13442web.jpg

And an Evo showing when wings dont work very well - when upside down

IMG_13490web.jpg

And on the topic of wings, who needs them to fly?

IMG_13565web.jpg

I am sure if they approached some car clubs then they would nothave had any problems with officials and flaggies.

What was the ruling at the end of the day with the Lotus guys getting excluded after beign allowed to run again? Poor officials can never get it right for everyone and some people are always going to be short changed, i understand the win was given to the Bel Garage boys because the Lotus gained an advantage for having warm tyres??? Does that sound right? Seems the official didnt have the numbers to be able to run the even as they would have probably desired

If they come to Vic next year then i am sure SAU/WRX clubs woudl be happy to provide officials.

The win was given to the BEL Evo driven by Garth Walden for the shootout part only. The Lotus driven by Peter Lucas still ended up winning the day overall in open class.

I am pretty sure Mackie said he was held up by me actually. I was on my cool down lap and saw him approaching quickly as he was about to start his flying lap.

Not sure if I really held him up, as I saw him and got out of the way. I actually did the fastest cool down lap of any of the sprint class cars. But??????? I don't know what Tim saw or felt. Because his tyres were warm, I don't think it was in the spirit of the shootout as it was a one lap flyer.

15 Dave Loftus 1:41.4448p

18 Tim Mackie 1:13.5610 1:27.4500p6:05.9210 1:12.0270

24 Peter Lucas 1:13.5670 1:19.8576p

30 Mark Berry 1:14.9920 1:25.2130

38 Garth Walden 1:13.4250 1:21.0126p

These are the times from the shootout.

It shows Tim doing a 13.5610 on the lap when he said he was held up (correct me if I am wrong please Tim) and then shows the 12.0270 when he went out the second time when the tyres were warm.

Look how close Tim and Peter were on there first shootout lap. That is why I wondered if Tim actually got held up.

On a side note. I wonder why Tim could not produce a 12.0 during the day. Why Tim, why?? That would have won the day for open overall by about .08 of a second!!!!!!!!!!

This is what I heard, somebody can correct me if I am wrong though.

Edited by Bozman1

The officials were the ones that offered Tim a re-run. He did not ask for one.

He was struggling all day on soft compound tyres, they just went off and never recovered. So I fitted the rears off my yellow Exige road car (mediums) for the Superlap and the car felt much better.

Peter Lucas locked a brake in his SuperLap and hence was a bit slower.

Tim was baulked a little I'd say.

His re-run has not really on warm tyres because he had only done 1 flying lap on them and he sat in the pit lane for at least 8min to run last.

Tim has a lot of experience in Superspirnts and just nailed a good lap.

Either way we are not fussed about who got the trophy on the day and congratulation to Bel and Garth. At least we know our car was the fastest there on the day. :P

Watch out next year!

Edited by LotusHPE

BTW, It's partly our fault for not pushing harder in qually. I miss-understood the way the day works. I assumed that the event was all about the SuperLap so we just made sure we were in the top 5. I seems from the way the trophies and prize money were handed out that the qualifying sessions carried more prestige?? How do you guys view this?

What a fun filled day! Well done to all the entrants was great viewing and there wasn't a dull moment :P

I think it's awesome how many interstate entrants and spectators were there. Was nice to catch up with some of the SAU Vic crew :P and Adz you're wide body R32 is off tap, Love it coming over the bridge sideways was awesome!!

Well Done Greg & Benny for the win on best present car...Autosport FTW!!

I think the day went well, But the event is in desperate need of more officials..in the pit lane area and out on the track. As Roy said some people forget what they are watching and it can be a bit dangerous at times if you are not watching with tyre rubber coming over the wall.

Also what is with some of the cars windows blowing out going down the straight? Is that what happens when you get the perspex type windows put in..Look like the cars had wings and must be distracting to the driver..I seen it happen on the Hi Octane GTR everytime it came down the straight :dry:

Was upsetting to see Johns GTR with the panel damage..It was a gorgeous car :( I hope they get it fixed up and will see Craig and John out on the track again

I think I might enter the next superlap to give it a go, Were there any girl drivers on the day??

Oh, and can anyone explain why Bel won the trophy for fastest 4 cylinder????? I assumed these trophies were based on finishing order in the quallifying. In which case Peter Lucas should have been fastest 4. If they are based on SuperLap times then why did Tim not win fastest RWD car?? Even his 1st SL was faster than Peter Lucas who was handed that trophy. Seems to me that the organisers were under a bit of pressure at the end.

Edited by LotusHPE

I agree that in Clubsprint class that the registered owner of the vehicle should be the driver.

A pro driver can make any car go fast.

This is exactly the reason why we didnt enter clubsprint...

Our car was more than eligible to enter clubsprint as its Dave's daily driver...but because we had our good mate Luke Searle behind the wheel we thought it only fair to step up into the opens.

Luke drives for his dads team in the BMW and is not paid to do so, so technically he isnt a paid proffesional driver. We agree with Jack's and BHDave's comment about this issue in that its not against the rules but also isnt real sportsman like either.

Edited by DiRTgarage

But hats off to Nathan and Ian. Was talkign to people last night about it and it was a great event.

For the first time in a while i am real dirty that i missed an event. If they keep the momentum going it will on to bigger and better, no doubt