SAU Community

Short Shifter For Autech Stagea

Lil_Bobby_260

Hi Guys

Im lookin to fit a short shifter to the 260 fairly well as soon as i get the car. Which ones fit? R33 GTR? would a 33 GTST fit? not sure if there are any differences between the two as far as shifters go.

Have driven a 33 with a short shifter, found it to be fantastic.

Is there much difference between $300 worth of nismo/HKS and a $80 ebay item? realistically from what ive seen, its jut a shaft and pivot point - not much that can go wrong as long as the dimensions are the same.

THanks in advance, guys.

yeah ive heard something about stress on synchros but nothing solid... Would realy liketo have one tho, but not willing to risk gamaging anything for it tho.

Anyone know?

*waits for SK... darrin... brad...*

i cant comment as i dont have a short shifter, i have read the cheap ones are shit and the good ones even cause issues with getting it into gear on hard shifts etc but this is hear say and not from personal experience. I can say i still smashed 3rd gear on wed night with a stock shifter, lol, what a pain in the arse i didnt even get 1 full drag pass in before it busted :thumbsup:

There are two types - the Nismo one and others

The nismo Solid shifter reduces the throw by 25% and is much better than all the others in the quality stakes

Most of the rest only reduce throw by 10% so are hardly worth fitting anyway,

If the box is perfect with none of the crunching into gears (especially 3rd or 4th) then the nismo one will be ok as the box is not worn and the results are excellent

If however there is already any crunching leave well alone as a different gearstick wont solve a problem that is in the gearbox

These gearboxes do not have the best change in the world and if worn the short shifter kit can make matters worse especially if its a cheap ebay item.

how does a different pivot point cause issues? still moves the linkage the same distance, just a different ratio due to a higher pivot point... doesnt make logica; sense that that would create issues.

for the most part i guess, in most cases, but im just after the shorter distance. I found that when i was driving the skyline i didnt exactly snap through gears, but i enjoyed the more solid and direct feel.

We'll wait and see when i get the car first - hopefully the shifter doesnt feel like a broom handle in a bag of marbles. Looking at the close up pics of the stock shifter thats in it, its only a fairly short shaft, not that that has much of a bearing on throw distance. The short shifter in the skyline was standard length, but shorter throw.