SAU Community

Help With Tools And Ideas For Building Rollcage

wsln33

Hey guys, i have read the other rollcage thread but it didnt help me. I already have a 4 point cage but need the front half done as I plan to go a bit faster than I origionally thought. I plan to run low 9's high 8's in a vl calais using a 26/30. Im trying to do as much work as i can myself as Im a plumbing apprentice so funds are quite limited! I thought the best way would be to be buy the front half kit in chromoly from Mcdonald brothers racing as i cant bend anything myself. The problem is I didnt get the rear 4 point off them so dont know how its going to match up.

1) Is this the best way to go about it?

2) How do i notch the pipe when butting up to the existing rear cage? What tools will I need?

3) What welder can i use to tack it together before i get someone to weld it properly? I have an oxy? Would that be suitable just to tack it? What filler rod?

Thanks

1) Is this the best way to go about it?

2) How do i notch the pipe when butting up to the existing rear cage? What tools will I need?

3) What welder can i use to tack it together before i get someone to weld it properly? I have an oxy? Would that be suitable just to tack it? What filler rod?

Thanks

1) probably not the best project with out all the tools but if u do than fine

2) pipe notcher or in you case a grinder , die grinder and a program i this section called tubemiter

3) tig with moly filler and oxy to heat "cherry red"

cheers

brendon

also depends on what tube your going for, im pretty sure you can use seemless steel, but with a thicker wall .. you need to read your rule book - im guessing ANDRA - to get exactly what materials you need.. and to ensure what you already have is still usable.

if u plan on anything under 9.99 theres a mininum 6 point full weldin roll cage chromoly is usally material of choice as its lighter than mild steel and aluminum is a no no

but check andra rule book for your time bracket (et) and make sure its the new version as rules to cages changed about 2 year ago

The back half is bolt in and I want the front half bolt in aswell. I know it will be hard but it can be done. I will be racing at calder and they are fine with bolt in cages. Im a bit pissed off that its not up to andra specs though as Ive already paid 1700 just for the rear. Its not up 2 spec in 2 areas - it is bolt in, and the rear 2 points mount to the top of the wheel arch.

post-15091-1207038662_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...

your an apprentice that cant afford a half decent cage but you can afford to run 8's.....?

got more specs on the car? very interested

just realised how old the thread was, never mind

Edited by VB-