SAU Community

Oil Cooler Cooling

I remember reading somewhere on here in the past that someone had tried some large pc computer case fans on there remote mounted oil cooler, as they weren't able to find a thermo fan small enough. My oil temps aren't exactly out of control, but I do have a couple of 120mm and 200mm case fans from old pc's not put to use. Most pc fans seem to flow less than 50cfm, I've seen some jaycar ones that flow 100cfm but that still doesn't sound like it's enough to be effective?

Has anyone found a small enough thermo roughly 15cm's wide? (to fit a greddy oil cooler) that works?

Or, has anyone actually had good results from using a large case fan/s?

Yeah it's more of a boredom thing :laughing-smiley-014: (90 oil temp on cruise, doesn't go over 100 oil temp ever) I'd still like to see it back down to about 85 on cruise.

Relocated the oil cooler from behind the fmic, to being in the driver's footwell. I found that oil temps are slightly higher with no thermo fan drawing air through, even though it's in the air dam on the driver's side now.

Edited by silman

Yeah it's more of a boredom thing :laughing-smiley-014: (90 oil temp on cruise, doesn't go over 100 oil temp ever) I'd still like to see it back down to about 85 on cruise.

Relocated the oil cooler from behind the fmic, to being in the driver's footwell. I found that oil temps are slightly higher with no thermo fan drawing air through, even though it's in the air dam on the driver's side now.

:laughing-smiley-014:

Have you ever though of getting it out on the bonnet...like a rex bonnet scope?

Seriously....having a higher running oil temp..ie around 90 to 95............not over 110...

can only work to help your motor sustain a better life.

Engine oil is not like water....it does not boil at 100.... :D

Boredom......can kill a man

lol, um no haven't even entertained the thought of having it as a wrx scoop setup :D

So nobody has put a thermo on there oil cooler before and taken some before and after results?

PS your avatar is great.

Edited by silman

Not sure a 120mm PC fan will do much, might not like being bolted a 1000C core either. Dont be fool into thinking a 12V PC fan is the same as 12v automotive unit. A typical 80amp alternator and 400amp battery allows quiet meaty motors used in the automotive area.

Have you got an aftermarket w.temp gauge, or PFC that shows temp? My understanding is, that your not likely to get your oil much cooler then your water due to how close they're linked (and the OEM oil<->water exchanger)

Maybe a automotive style 8" would fit on its side...?

Edited by GeeTR

I ended up purchasing a 7" thermo, will be doing an install this weekend and posting my results.

The pc fan thing was a joke, someone on here had actually done it but as i said, i can't find it in the search results and i can't remember what the application was used in.

As a matter of interest though, there are 12 volt fans for pc's, notably the 20cm Antec style used in there better pc cases.

nice idea - i wanted to do this to my auto trans cooler when i had my R32 but couldn't fit a fan to it given where it was mounted... my idea was to wire it co come on with a switch or with the standard radiator fan to cool it when at idle (eg in traffic on a hot day), and let it go off when the car was cruising

i plan on doing this to my intercooler (and oil cooler when i get one) - run one of those water sprayer kits that activate on a certain psi. if you were handy with the tools you could probably hook up one yourself with a button you press whenever you think your temps are getting a bit high.

my cousin had one of those kits on his rex and worked really well.

Well, it worked :D I purchased a flex-a-lite 7" thermo and mounted it to the back of the oil cooler. Oil temperatures dropped 6 degrees with no other changes. This is just an indicator of the difference with regular street driving.

I've got it controlled by a pivot fan controller, one spal 12" high flow fan pushing onto my air-con condensor, through to my radiator.

The other is the oil cooler thermo, pulling air through from behind the oil cooler.

This is in an RB25DET 180SX. I'd expect an even better result in a Skyline engine bay.

http://img444.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture002cu4.jpg

http://img185.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture001ej2.jpg

http://img185.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture006oq7.jpg

but i dont understand you do u want to put a thermo behind a remote oil cooler? i just installed my cooler right behind me front bar and im not thinking its running a bit too cold when cruise. i think the oil cooler itself drops oil temp dramatically.