SAU Community

Turbo Tune's Stock Rb20 Making 370rwkw

D_Stirls

This is cut and paste from a topic on NS.com.

The engine was put together form spare parts as well as some cheap parts from eBay just to see what power they could get from a standard RB20. Just for shits and giggles

Have a read; it's a bloody good job i say, especially Jeff who remapped the ECU.

Hey all

Micheal and the boys at Turbotune here in Adelaide have recently finished playing with an RB20....

this is how it turned out!!!! w00t.gif

SPECS:

Std capacity R32 RB20det

Std original pistons

Std rods and crankshaft

New rings and bearings

Metal Head gasket

Std RB20det camshafts

Ebay adjustable cam pulleys

Std head

Shimmed Std Valve Springs for extra seat pressure

GTR inlet plenum dodgily welded onto rb20det inlet runners (none of the runners line up, it's awesome)

850cc injectors

Fuel pressure regulator

Ebay 100mm throttle body

Splitfire coilpacks

Ebay Stainless highmount manifold

Ebay External wastegate

Monza 600x300x76 fmic

T04Z turbo

Remapped Std ECU

370rwkw

Limited by cams, traction and stupid tall diff ratio. Hits dyno maxspeed, power still climbing.

373rwkwRB20turbotune.jpg

crazy stuff... the dyno only has a 2 bar map sensor so they think the boost was going up to around 35psi!!

EDIT: Tuned by the one and only Jeff from The Speed Lab!!!!

EDIT::: as people dont understand!!!

I think you guys have taking this the wrong way lol

this car is not a customers car its not a car they drive on the road/track or anything it was made just for and only for the dyno!!!!

The motor was built after hours for a laugh just to see what they could make out of a standard RB20..

It didnt matter if it was laggy or cheap or if it blew up.... they didnt care...

It was made out of spare parts lol

Cheap and easy.... just to see what they could do with a standard motor and a remapped ECU!!!

It is turbotunes car that they made for the hell of it!!! And no... it wont last long..... its running 35psi lol....

I thought it was a bloody good job lol.... Its handled around 40 to 50 dyno runs over 320rwkw’s so far!!!

I believe that the engine has since been taken out of the car and the rebuilt engine that was destined for the car has been fitted.

Original Thread

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.p...howtopic=298289

Edited by D_stirls

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope this doesn't turn in to a shit storm like on ns.com. :)

I'll just make a few comments here to clarify some things, maybe it will stop some people carrying on like the children on ns.

No-one is bragging or making any claims here. It is was it is. It's cheap, laggy, probably won't last. No shit.

Just a fun afterhours project.

It was built using an old smoking motor that was lying around the workshop.

The engine was stripped down, cleaned and reassembled using all the original internals with new rings and bearings added.

A metal headgasket was used and the standard springs were shimmed up to give a little more seat pressure.

The standard rb20det cams are still used but with some "special timing" Without a doubt this is the main limiting factor currently.

One of the reason so much boost is used is to overcome the flow limitations of the std head/cams.

A spare gtr inlet plenum was cut and welded on to the std rb20det inlet runners. The alignment of the runners is off and i am sure this is doing more harm than good, but hey, it's all just for a bit of fun.

There are some cheap bolt on parts used. Cam pulleys, fmic, throttle body, exhaust manifold and wastegate are all ebay cheapies.

The whole project was done as cheaply as possible, in our spare time afterhours, while on the piss.

Now the original plan was to see what sort of numbers could be made from a std internal std capacity rb20det using a remapped factory ecu.

I figured anything over 300rwkw would be a decent number. I also fully expected it to shit out and throw a rod or something.

Pretty much started at 20psi and went up 2psi at a time until the motor blew or it stopped making power. Neither has happened yet.

Personally i am surprised at the result. I can only imagine what it might do with some big cams.

Of course i would never suggest or recommend this as a sensible setup for anyone or anything.

I just think it is interesting to see what can be done with cheap parts on the baby rb.

I'll put some photos up when i can.

Cheers -Jeff

Thanks Jeff, much more insightfull info than the ns thread :)

it read more of a "Look, TurboTune is sick" thread, heh

this makes alot more sense and sounds like some good fun! Thats the sort of machine to take to a dyno comp, something to make big numbers and possibly blow up, people would love it either way!

Thanks for the positive reply JayMei.

Unfortunately i didn't post the thread on ns and neither did anyone from turbo tune. An excited customer had seen the results and decided to start 2 threads on ns about it. Hilarity ensued.

Total shits and giggles affair though. The engine is coming out to be replaced by a properly built rb30/rb25 head combo.

Also it is in an s14 if anyone cares.

I think there is a couple of points to note...

The T04Z is a great choice for big power.

The basic engineering on the rb20det from the factory is fairly decent.

Cheers -Jeff

least this thread is clean an maybe ppl can respect it for wat it is an enjoy the fact that some one is wastin there money to see how much u can get out of one.

will post up video 2moz

think the only way to b near that thing wen on the dyno was with a couple drinks in me dont think i would hav been other wisejust waitin for rod to go

I have a real shitty phone/cam video. It is only short because the memory was full.

A few other people have filmed it so i will see if i can get them to put something up.

Anyway here is the footage i have, it's not that exciting unfortunately. :D

name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>&">
name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

hahahah great effort, i not only think it has shits and giggles value but there is RD value to it also

how hard would it be to control once 30psi hit you in the back would put a surprised look on some commodore drivers faces prolly even some enzo faces too :D 365's on the rear anyone :D

Hey Jeff top work on it all, I was wondering how it was all going. I might be selling my cams and cam gears if your interested in them also.

hows the ns.com mentality too... bunch of douche bags

Nothings changed in years mate........

Yeh good work boys, certianally is making good power, will be interesting to see how long it will/would last for in a track car!!

C'mon guys whether or not the last part of simon's statement is true or not lets keep that negativity off the boards let SAU be the bigger guys and quit all that nonsense

Thats a great effort for a "laugh". Would be awesome to see what this would of been able to do if you guys actually were being "serious" with it.... Either way its Tip Top :D

Jeff you've definately got some talent. Maybe i should pay you guys a visit to get my car tuned.