SAU Community

Quick Question

Oddy man

i have read and re-read my post and i never said they wouldn't fit but they would probably be undervalved (due to the weight difference). so the question of whether they would work acceptably is up for grabs.

aftermarket R33 shocks is a different ball game for valving hence you have obviously found something you are happy with.

getting back to what was posted, do you think standard shocks will work acceptably?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

standard is unaccaptable to me

every car i get, within a week they are in the trash

so IMO, no, even on a stagea, standard shocks do not work acceptably

but you act like the remark was directed at you...it was directed to everyone who said they woudlnt work

they will work, maybe not parfet (if standard) but most wont be able to tell. I mean, most people dont know when a shock is blown

its al relative, most of you guys talk out of your ass, and on hypotheticals, while im sitting here DOING the stuff you say cant, or shouldnt be done. I dont have problems making apexes, i dont have problems in touge keeping up with other skylines and silvias. When you buy aftermarket suspensions, its stiffer than stock correct? stiffer than the gtr front suspension? YES I build my cars to handle, comfort is ALWAYS a sidenote to that. You cant have a fantastic handling car and be plush...its not possbile

so yeah, if you were putting stock for stock on the car MAYBE it would be an issue, but aftermarket coilovers (i would never buy anything otherwise) its not going to make a lick of difference to the average driver. And if it does, throw the fronts out to get revalved for 200 bucks and call it a day

quit reading your life away, and start doing.

:D 100%

I love proving people wrong, who say it can't be done!

If I listened to everyone, I would never have done half the things in my life that I've done. Nor built half the insane projects I have.

:)

standard is unaccaptable to me

every car i get, within a week they are in the trash

so IMO, no, even on a stagea, standard shocks do not work acceptably

but you act like the remark was directed at you...it was directed to everyone who said they woudlnt work

they will work, maybe not parfet (if standard) but most wont be able to tell. I mean, most people dont know when a shock is blown

i'm glad we agree on the standard shocks not being suitable.

remind me not to stand near anyone when you are holding a shotgun. :)

remind me not to stand near anyone when you are holding a shotgun. :D

he's in the US defence force, so watch out :)

remind me not to stand near anyone when you are holding a shotgun. :)

shotguns are for people that can't aim

i prefer an M92 :D

but you guys said it wouldnt work

NOT that its undervalved (which i stated) or that they arent for a heavier car

you said it woudlnt work

So yes, i call you that disagree idiots.

I am here, telling you for a fact, not hearsay that it works. You want to know why? I HAVE THEM ON MY CAR. I have r33 shocks on my car. so who are you to tell me it doesnt work, when it obviously does.

Its like the deaf leading the blind.

Tell me then how you fit R33 rear strut tops with 115 mm bolt centres into a Stagea that has 80 mm bolt centres?

Im sure if sydneykid came in here and said they fit you would all bow down and kiss his feet.

That's because I am usually (but not always) right, it's called runs on the board.

Cheers

Gary

Tell me then how you fit R33 rear strut tops with 115 mm bolt centres into a Stagea that has 80 mm bolt centres?

That's because I am usually (but not always) right, it's called runs on the board.

Cheers

Gary

obviously youd transfer your stock tophats to whatever you put them on.

i have stock tophats on my coilovers, no need for anything else.

the argument is if they woudl fit

so yes, they fit

Now, if his car was on blocks with no suspension, that would be different.

you know what

i bet you 1,000.00

that if you picked 5 random people, that dont do track time

and put them in my car

and put htem in a random car with overly expensive shocks with little collars that you move for height

you wont be able to tell the difference

Pick 5 Stagea people and I think you would be proven wrong. That's your problem, the average Stagea owner is more educated on what is good and what is bad than the average punter. Talk to your audience, on the Stagea thread don't treat the readers like idiots.

only diff is mine is stiffer, and handles super duper flat around turns

So it's slow then and lacks traction.

i dont have problems in touge keeping up with other skylines and silvias.

All that proves is they are doing worse than you, not that you are doing it right.

YES I build my cars to handle, comfort is ALWAYS a sidenote to that. You cant have a fantastic handling car and be plush...its not possbile

Wow, you better tell BMW and AMG and Porsche and Jaguar etc that they are doing the impossible.

coilovers (i would never buy anything otherwise)

So tell me, when you buy your V35 or M35 how are you going to use "coil overs" in the rear?

Because the people who really know are aware that "coil overs" is simply a description of the layout of the springs and shocks. That Skyline R32/33/34's and Stagea 34's come with coil overs standard.

Much fun for all

Cheers

Gary

obviously youd transfer your stock tophats to whatever you put them on.

i have stock tophats on my coilovers, no need for anything else.

the argument is if they woudl fit

so yes, they fit

Now, if his car was on blocks with no suspension, that would be different.

So you admit that they don't fit.

But wait there's more............

What do you suggest they do when the standard Stagea rear spring seat is 75 mm and the coil spring in the coil over kit is 60 mm, or 62 mm or 65 mm or 70 mm? They are all common coil over sizes. They have to change the springs? Oh look, another reason why they don't fit.

Cheers

Gary

I have R33's in the rear of my S1 4wd Turbo.

iijj has driven it he and I seem to think it is fine.

ant

R33 what?

R33 rear shocks only? Yes they will fit and they will work OK for a while, as long as they are in good condition.

R33 Springs? Nope they won't fit, wrong dimensions

R33 Strut tops? They won't fit either, wrong stud pattern.

What we are talkibng about here is complete R33 shock/spring units and they definitely won't bolt straight in, for the reasons above.

Cheers

Gary

R33 what?

R33 rear shocks only? Yes they will fit and they will work OK for a while, as long as they are in good condition.

What we are talkibng about here is complete R33 shock/spring units and they definitely won't bolt straight in, for the reasons above.

Cheers

Gary

Must be just the shocks only then.

Was that way when I got it... I noticed it a few weeks ago when I had them out... written on them in white marker.

Ok so I need to keep an eye on them as they wear... good to know.

ant

So you admit that they don't fit.

But wait there's more............

What do you suggest they do when the standard Stagea rear spring seat is 75 mm and the coil spring in the coil over kit is 60 mm, or 62 mm or 65 mm or 70 mm? They are all common coil over sizes. They have to change the springs? Oh look, another reason why they don't fit.

Cheers

Gary

incorrect

tophat has rubber cup base, if you insert it, and drive, the heat generated from the spring will seat it in its new position on the tophat

problem solved, i had the same problem

anything else?

R33 what?

Gary is right.

I just fitted Ohlins coilovers designed for an R33 setup into my S2 Stagea at all 4 corners. I had the rear hats removed and modified by an engineer to change the bolt pattern from 115mm to 80mm, and machine down the hat itself down to 115mm diameter maximum along the mounting bolts length (its actually machined oval shape).

Stag now feels mucho better!

i always get a kick out of this guys suspension theory's, i enjoy a good giggle, but i'm smell'n SK smoke and this guy must be a pyromaniac cause he's getting flamed again.

:shrug:

some people worry about every little detail

some people spend half that time just doing it and makign stuff work and get to the track faster :P

im that guy

im using parts from 5 or 6 different cars on my car to make stuff work

I mean, it doesnt hurt that i have like a junkyard of parts at my house from my past track cars, but its not hard stuff that im doing.

Well FWIW, when the shocks get worn out in my RS4V (which probably isn't far away...), I'll simply fit a set of Nismo S-Tune's to suit. From memory the price quoted was ~$1500 for a complete set (inc springs).

They WILL fit, and should work a treat on the road.

:P