SAU Community

R32gtr Turbos Rebuilt To Steel Wheels

I'm now contemplating changing my turbo's before i do anything else

( current mods: nismo front and catback exhaust, pod filters )

My main reason for the upgrade is reliabilty..although any power gains to be had will do.

Im considering buying a pair of rebuilt 32gtr turbos with steel wheels.....

Just after advice on whether this is worth paying the labour for..

i'm just really paranoid about the current ceramics and was told the steel wheels could handle

mid to high 200's(kw) and honestly i would be happy witth that sought of power.....

cheers

1200 each i think or there abouts and thats new so yeah.

I personally wouldnt get second hand ones, if your getting rid of the risk of spitting a wheel (Ceramic) which is a good idea... you might like the added insurance of freshly rebuilt ones that way you know where they came from etc.

just something to think about

its not even worth the risk.. bite the bullet and buy some proper turbos like i mentioned in first post.

thanks for your advice....

i have brought several items off this person i intend to buy the reconditioned ones ,

and therefore for the purpose of my application i think the reconditioned ones may be ok.......

i would like to use the saved money from buying the cheaper turbos on a pfc to maximise the turbos potential..

Although i will definately keep in mind the turbos mentioned by "rb26s13" but by the time i buy them and

pay for labour to install i'm already past my budget and am afraid wont have sufficent money to utilise the better

turbos with a decent tune............

thanks for your advice....

i have brought several items off this person i intend to buy the reconditioned ones ,

and therefore for the purpose of my application i think the reconditioned ones may be ok.......

i would like to use the saved money from buying the cheaper turbos on a pfc to maximise the turbos potential..

Although i will definately keep in mind the turbos mentioned by "rb26s13" but by the time i buy them and

pay for labour to install i'm already past my budget and am afraid wont have sufficent money to utilise the better

turbos with a decent tune............

if your on a budget look around for a pair of r34 N1's..

and i take it your not mechanically minded enough to change the turbos over.. which sucks cause that'd possibly save you extra money you'd need to buy the decent turbos..

im interested to hear how much you get stung to get them exchanged as ive done it a couple times now

yea mate

from memory i got quoted a few months back around 700 i think for labor

cant remember if that was just for turbos or other stuff i asked quoted

but im pretty sure it was 700 for turbos

how much did you pay and is 700 alot?

yea mate

i dont pay.. i do it myself.

Can get brand new garrret 2860 -7's in the group buy for $2150 delivered. If your looking @ the rebuilt N1 steel wheeled 32gtr turbos on ebay there $1595 + shipping?. Better of having all brand new parts than recon ones IMHO. Garret 2860's are BB to.

Instead of paying $1000 for a power FC + fitting, tuning etc etc just reflash the original (find a tuner that has nistune....think its called that). My brother just had his done for $880. After this $140 for a retune in the future if you change anything. Just leave it on 1 bar and should pull a comfortable 260kw.

mike

yea mate

$700 is cheap, i would call $1000 normal

Had the exact thing done to my turbos by slide on here (rebuilt with steel wheels, turbo size is still the same). Just got the car back together and had a run in tune. got 275.3hp (205kw) at the wheels on 9psi with awsome response and drivability. Will be pushing them to 16psi or so in about two weeks. Dyno sheet and a few other details here: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Gtr-t215759.html

Edited by bnr#@

Heres my 2 c

Good: Steel stockers - cheap, can be rebuilt - feel great running heaps of boost midrange (where you drive the car mostly on the street).

Better: 2860-7's but running .48 rear housings - (but around double the money of the above once you put .48 rear housings on them)

Even better: Apexi AX53B60's..... sadly discontinued

Theres a lot to be said for -5's, GT-RS's, 2530's and so on. However I have a personal soft spot for the above mentioned :)

.... bring on the flaming :P