SAU Community

Turboing My N/a

skyhighR33

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't even need a stag motor. The sump on your N/A that houses the front diff will bolt straight up to a RWD DET so just get any DET engine that you can find and swap the sumps over, the bellhousings will also be the same so you have nothing to worry about.

Save for a gt-r with abit of work allready done, it WILL end up cheaper in the long run and by far

with the price of petrol / thieves / policemen defecting / speeding fines / extra insurance for the mods.... whats the point?

and wats wrong with N/A :laugh:

Im probally only going an RB25DE on my next project, because of those issues (and I hate turbo lag) :laugh: though I have a realistic budget of $20K for engine/brakes/suspension/etc + unexpected surprises

problem is that mine is gts-4 its awd and i would preferre to keep it 4wd, not sure if the det are awd i know the stageas are.

cheers... michael

problem is that you have no f***ing idea what your talking about buddy.

Decent stagea motor - any import wrecker etc.

Turbo'ing a non Turbo....sure its all fun and games, but were not here to spend a shit load of cash are we.

Buy a RB25DET, RB26DETT etc, swap it with your RB25DE, then sell that RB25DE. Where to sell it? On here? Ebay? etc.

alot easier for you, for your mates down an LMG or whoever the hell they are and alot easier on your wallet.

now.

Please link me to the thread that says its much easier and cheaper whacking a turbo on a NA motor.

all R33 gts-4 were NA due to a RB25DET being closely powered to the RB26

then drop a stagea motor in there which is turboed lol.....gts-4 NA never heard of those

my thoughts are he could get all stock parts for not much $$ at all, you know the why bother parts when i first bought my car except for a dump pipe and full 3" exhaust i had all the why bother parts and still ended up with 187AWKW @ 13.7 psi

2nd hand stocker turbo $300 ($500 to recon it like brand new)

exhaust manifold - stocker $150 (but why bother)

JJR Split Dump & Front Pipe $265 or cheaper X-Force Dump & Engine Pipe - $195

blow-off valve - stocker $50-100

Walbro fuel pump $200 or a GTST one for $50

Injectors $750 - not really needed could look for S15 480cc yahoo autions may get a set of sic for $300

JustJap/ISC Intercooler $300

labour $1,000 MINIMUM

cheapest piggyback ECU Apexi SAFCII $400 - preferred PowerFC $1,200 or go with a standard GTSt ecu with FCD untill more money is available so lets say $200 for factory ecu

tune $400

Metal Head Gasket Nissan RB25DET Thickness 1.2mm $372 delivered from nengun

TOTAL $1617 may cost more depends on how much boostworx would charge but may cost less depending on how much stock parts and how cheap you can pick them up BTW that price for turbo was $300+500 for reconditioning

just to show its all possible

these are my thoughts and dont take them as gospel RING Shaun @ boostworx dont email

yeah a lot less of a head fook if you just drop a turbo motor in!

i've seen a lot of people comming into workshops getting their car turboed and a month later end up in the workshop again! going by the list nightcrawler posted, that should be the minium to make the mechanical side run properly, and then there's the brakes, suspension, clutch etc etc to make the car cope! it'll end up costing you a bit that's for sure

Can it be done - YES

Is it ecconomical - NO (unless you have access to a workshop and lots of cheap parts)

I know the idea of a baby godzilla on the cheap is nice, but it wont happen.

Have you factored in the cost for the brake upgrade?

Extra power = extra heat (will your cooling system cope?)

I beleve the half shafts in the GTS4 are lighter than the GTR and dont take too well to the extra power.

When you finally sell the car you may struggle to get a good price because of the perceived risk of a backyard job - i know i wouldnt touch it.

Edited by 4door_Sleeper

If it was me ...

This would be the point where I'd do it ... in the attempt to prove people right/wrong either way. Whether it works or not, its your mountain to climb and your project to make work or fail. Life is full of lessons learnt ... but this would be one hell of a fun lesson :P

I've built plenty of projects in a very cost-efficient manner (not cheap). One particular project of mine was dogged from the start, so-called experts saying shoehorning a supercharged SR20 into a 200B would not work! Well it worked well, and drove strong for 2 years before I sold it. I did the required brake upgrades and all too. :banana: On the ratio of fun per dollar spent ... it was very much worth every penny spent.

Then again ... One project that went wrong, was when I turboed a CBR1000 drag bike. It was just too hard to match a good turbo to the engine and tune it for decent times. The front wheel just would NOT stay down due to the boost ... despite having a 6.5" swingarm extension!!! ;) In the end, I lost thousands of $ on it, but it was still fun to build and I had no regrets ... its only money! Sold the custom kit to a guy in Germany and swapped the rolling chassis for essential parts for my GSXR race bike ... so I got some money back! There is always someone who will buy your failed projects.

Doing the common upgrades and sharing the same mod stories is boring. Do something different or rarely attempted and have your own story to tell. ;)

Edited by RubyRS4

this thread is GOLD.

why buy a skyline if u dont kno shit all bout em????

just sell ur car and buy a deawoo, or hyundai. u will be better off.

then save up for a GTR and do it that way.

will work out alot cheaper, plus u will be older so insurance will be cheaper!!

Thats just nonsense just because you dont know much about a particular subject does'nt mean you should.nt kool into it

as for brakes the na brakes hold up well for street but i certainly wouldn't take them on track

if ever you want to have a look at my baby gtr im more than happy to show you and discuss options with you

as for running gear you've got a mixture of gtr and gtst

this thread is GOLD.

why buy a skyline if u dont kno shit all bout em????

just sell ur car and buy a deawoo, or hyundai. u will be better off.

then save up for a GTR and do it that way.

will work out alot cheaper, plus u will be older so insurance will be cheaper!!

hmmm seems to be a lot of haters in here. well as for you f*ck off i asked a simple question of good places to get it done and yes i do know some things about skylines. wether anyone likes it or not skylines have no value in the market. youll never make your money back, so what if you have the money what else you going to waste it on, booze and cigerettes. pffff. i thank everyone who has helped.

hmmm seems to be a lot of haters in here.

wtf no haters - just advice. It is a stupid idea and will cost you 5 -10x more than you think (since you were quoting $1,500).

well as for you f*ck off

sounds like you are the only hater here ....

wether anyone likes it or not skylines have no value in the market.

WTF?????? Lay off the crack pipe mate. This is one of the stupidest things I have ever read on the internet ....

youll never make your money back, so what if you have the money what else you going to waste it on, booze and cigerettes.

Of course you won't make your money back, but buying a car for 'X' then spending 'Y' on it, when you could buy a complete car (like a GTst) for 'X+Z', which is MUCH less than 'X+Y' is plain stupidity

pffff. i thank everyone who has helped.

I think you will find we were all trying to help You asked our advice and you got it. It is a stupid idea. Now you know.

1.5k is more of a DIY thing and being very lucky to find really cheap parts!

here's the thread of how to turbo your n/a

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/tu...tml&st=200n

here's the workshops and parts

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Wo...st-t123887.html

here's some wreckers

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Ad...-L-t123889.html

and bada bing bada boom! go and prove us wrong otherwise don't get your knickers in a knot if you don't like other peoples advice!

well said nightcrawler.....this is a skyline community and people somewhere down the track have found and fixed problems or so and have thought of amazing ideas and decieded not to do it coz it would cost 10x more then just going out and getting it all done....ie turbo charging a NA motor will cost me then getting a turbo charged motor put in mate....we are just trying to help you make the right choice and save on the dough as it is hard to get hold of a lot of dough