SAU Community

Fuel Tips

These tips are worth considering if you want to maximise your fuel bill

Only buy or fill up your car or bike in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the fuel, when it gets warmer petrol expands. So, buying in the afternoon or in the evening, your litre is not exactly a litre. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature play an important role. 1 degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stationsdo not have temperature compensation at the pumps. Another most important tip is to fill up when your tank is HALF FULL. The reason for this is, the more fuel you have in your tank the less is the air occupying its empty space. Petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine. Another useful information is to avoid filling up if there is a fuel truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy. Most likely the petrol/diesel is being stirred up as the fuel is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt thatnormallysettles on the bottom. Hope this will help you get the most value for your money.

Edited by Spiral

Just so you all know, since 2002 the legislation for recalculation for fuel vrs temp was changed and devices have been fitted to give you a more exact litre dependent on temp outside. refer to www.caltex.com.au

http://www.caltex.com.au/pricing_temp.asp

So therefore that rule is pretty much no good. IMO if the temp it taken at air temps then its best to fill up about 11 when the concrete has had little time to warm but the air temps are warmer therefore it would be giving you more than normal

Edited by DECIM8

I have no official stats on these tips but thought the half tank thing made sense. If it is a repost it has travelled around as I got this passed on from a friend in Canada.

Well it makes semi sense.. If you think about it any fuel related product evaporates, its a character that comes with its explosive or flamable properties.

I would say evaporation would be extremely minimal as the hole it would be evaporating from is small and you've got a hose stuck up its hole with a splash stopped stoping most .. So I guess it would be slightly useful but doubt it would be conciderable.

At petrol prices now id try anything .. Lucky i went and got me a girl who lives down the street from work haha.

Not dissing you Spiral, your facts were right prior to 2002..

Oh and to add keeping your tank half full is always good as it prevent you sucking up to much shit.. Although I never do that and always drive around empty never had a problem due to changing the fuel filter regularly

Edited by DECIM8

here's my tip;

Dont fill up. partial fills FTW.

Run around with less fuel = less weight = better fuel ecconomy

Also I run the tank right down to almost empty every time. This keeps sludge from building up in the bottom of the tank making the fuel filter do it's job and keeping the fuel pump working at it's best.

buy a honda jazz and save :)

keep the skyline for weekend

Not when you require a service with Honda or when it comes to parts.. should of got a Yaris! Cheap on fuel and way cheap on parts and service :)

Also I run the tank right down to almost empty every time. This keeps sludge from building up in the bottom of the tank making the fuel filter do it's job and keeping the fuel pump working at it's best.

I am sure your fuel pump will appreciate this... :down:

Not when you require a service with Honda or when it comes to parts.. should of got a Yaris! Cheap on fuel and way cheap on parts and service :D

YEa honda parts arent cheap!! Comfortable and reliable cars to drive tho.

here's my tip;

Dont fill up. partial fills FTW.

Run around with less fuel = less weight = better fuel ecconomy

So you have to go out of your way muh more often to put fuel in? Sounds like a stupid idea to me.

hm. what i usually do is when the tank is about half way, ill jump on fuel watch and see whether today or tomorrow will b cheaper, then i will fill up on watever the cheapest day is... im too lazy to do partial fill ups, just fill it to the top!

I didnt buy a skyline to worry too much about fuel anyway. :w00t::rofl:

Edited by br3ndan