SAU Community

hard suspension and safety

.. for the car that is ... do u guys think that having rock hard suspension can possibly damage anything in the car if say u go over a big bump?? i really hate the sound the car makes when this happens .. especially at high speed ... BUMP!!!! ;)

yeah, sooner or later you'll shake every bolt out of the car, lol.

I'd be more worried about hard springs, bad road surface and ABS detecting bounce, letting brakes off, hitting something.

really, really hard suspension just isnt suited to road driving.

Cornering fast on bumpy road could be dangerous on stiff suspension with not enough rebound. Your car bounce over bump, fly in the air, and depending which direction you turn, either you landed in the other lane in front of oncoming cars or over the edge of a cliff.

Don't laugh, i've seen myself a car bounced mid corner and landed on the wrong lane.

Stiff race suspension are designed for track use where surface is smooth, not for bumpy road.

Well just the other night, I didnt see a speed hump until it was a little too late. Hit the brakes, didn't skid, but felt that aweful bang! Was spewing for the rest of the night, cos I didn't know if I damaged anything. Can this damage the car. The only thing I noticed, was that the bumper lip was a little scratched *sigh*

But can I ask, is there anything we can do to reduce the stiffness, given that my shockies are as soft as they can go. That is, will things such as pineapples, bushes etc etc, help to reduce the harshness. The bumps and thuds I constantly hear definately do not sound good and sounds detrimental to the car. Is this normal, if so, can we reduce the effect? Thanks.

Ouch scotty. that indeed sounds bad. lucky u are going to paint the bar all up again.

Dont worry, once u sell the Teins, u should be back to soft and bouncy goodness again.

I dont think that pineapples will affect the harshness of the ride. Is this correct?

I hit a pothole just out of Gundagai with Tanabe Sustec dampers and HKS springs - snapped the sucker in half! Other side was bent like a banana.

These were already too hard for daily driving. Guess I just wanted to make sure :P

Result: New tyres needed and I put the stock suspension back in today - much more practical for daily use.

Hard suspension can eventually buckly/warp/twist the body. Causing panels to get out of alignment and doors not to close properly. Not to mention damage to the suspension componen

Standard bushes aid in making the car more smoother and quite. Ie. reduce NVH levels. Adding pineapples may increase NVH levels as your stiffening up the suspension, also replacing OEM bushes with aftermarket ones increase NVH.

It's a trade off just like many parts of the car.

Hippy: Not sure what's next. Will stick to the stock ones for a while. The car looks so funny - is about 2" higher! Will probably get Nismo G-Attack or Teins - I want the in-cabin adjustable controls :P

It was pretty obvious there was a problem - lots of nasty clunking noises, would hit the bump stops and bounce (springs only) over every bump. Was very unsafe.

Needed new tyres as the alignment was thrown out and the camber increased (due to lack of support) they were down to belts on the inside edge.

Not good.

Got new Sumitomos now :P

• 2 weeks later...

I had tannabe's install before the tein's, and they were much rougher than the teins!!

I have had the intercooler welded up twice as the bumps actually snapped the brackets!!

Also cost me a new thermo fan after hiiting a bump and punching a blade through the shroud and out the grill!!! leaving me with a nasty shudder with the air con on!!!

Originally posted by Jamezilla

I hit a pothole just out of Gundagai with Tanabe Sustec dampers and HKS springs - snapped the sucker in half! Other side was bent like a banana.

These were already too hard for daily driving. Guess I just wanted to make sure :D

Result: New tyres needed and I put the stock suspension back in today - much more practical for daily use.

I took a really rough back road one day to get to steep hill climb for a bit of fun, I often wonder if that road caused this, I'm guessing it did (Sustec's as well).

yeah i have coil over Tien's. they are good. but as everyone else has stated-not for daily use. THey are good in that u can adjust the height of ur car, but they are rock solid hard. What i would like to know is for eveyrone can u keep the tien's dampers, and coilovers and just replace the springs with softer ones? ie: have everything Tien excpet the springs? Would this make ur ride softer or will it still be hard due to the dielectric materials inside the Tien damper?

i have HKS coilovers on my car.

i reckon that on the softest setting they are perfectly fine for normal driving. Of course it aint going to be no fricking lexus cos thats not the reason u bought em - u can feel the bumps and potholes, but they won't make u go 'Ouch!! my poor car!!'