SAU Community

Taking An Uncomplianced Car Over On The Spirit Of Tasmania

ardie

Hey guys I was just wondering who has taken an uncomplianced vehicle or a vehicle on an unregistered vehicle permit across on the Spirit of Tasmania? I called the other day and they said that I needed to have a RWC on the car to take it on, but the reason it is on an unregistrable vehicle permit is because it isn’t road worthy.

If anybody could give me any advice or let me know of any experiences they have had with this it would be great. I have checked out freight options and that looks like it may be the go at this point, however it would be somewhat of a hassle to get the car to the docks.

Cheers

Ryan

when we took a heap of targa cars to Winton for the 6hr race back in 2003 we just used temp permits and they were happy, but they got stressed about some of them not having number plates to begin with. i reasoned with them that they were are all tidy well kept cars and they came around.

Thanks for that Stuart. When I was on the boat last time there were 3 fully caged evos on there with no plates and plastered in stickers so Im not sure about the whole RWC thing, i think its a crock of shit, my car is more road worthy thatn some of the old cooners Ive seen boarding before

Won't be a problem unless it's very unroad worthy. just need a temp permit to move the vehicle around. many a time have i shipped my 33 over to melbourne and back un registered.

Wack some false plates on it (for the boat jouney only)....they don't/can't check with the authorities, they just need a number to put in their system to complete the order.

yeah some of the cars we took to winton still had their targa plates on and we booked them with those numbers, but had permits as they don't have real rego attached and they weren't stress about those cars at all!

When i first brought my car over, spirit of tas website showed that u had to put a rego in to book it, so i just typed NO-REGO and hey presto it let me book the journey and they didn't say much on the boat when loading the car.

car needs to be roadworthy, it would have to be put over the pits to get an unregistered vehicle permit, if the car has a uvp it must have already passed as roadworthy vehicle, the uvp will allow you to get the car from a to b only. permits are only valid for a short time, im sure it was 7 days for me after the car was blue slipped (passed as roadworthy).

also if the same rules apply here as they do in NSW, once a car has an unregistered vehicle permit and the time period expires it is no longer able to be extended or you can not get another permit for that vehicle.

when we got the ute from NSW it had to be blue slipped and roadworthy and passed over the pits to get the uvp. a uvp certificate at the minimum has to be applied before they would allow it on the spirit of tas.

it is a hassle, but cant be avoided.

It doesnt need to go over the pits in VIC to get a permit, what a joke, in vic you can get them over the phone. Pretty much everything you said doesnt apply, but thankyou, I do appreciate the input anyway (serious)

Anyway, cars here so all the doubters, NER NER NER

THREAD OVER

that is a joke!

will make it easy to transport a burnt out 3 wheeled unregistered vehicle.......

did the vehicle have to be inspected or pass any criteria before it was permittable for road access?

was the car permittable for road access in both states or did it need to be on a trailer?

NSW RTA being more stricked on road and transport than any other state of australia, that will all apply regaurdless to where in australia its being driven (except WA i think, where UVP's dont cover).

it would probably be only a matter of time till legislations will be passed where all states in australia will be as hard and stricked on any form of vehicle transport and registrational status.

yeah vic and tas run the same sight unseen issuing of temp permits for up to 42 days... a mate actually got a permit to drive his formula vee on the road a few years ago to run in the engine!

that is a joke!

will make it easy to transport a burnt out 3 wheeled unregistered vehicle.......

That’s a bit of overkill, it is a "roadworthy" vehicle, it was able travel from Caulder to the boat and then to move onto and off the boat all under its own power. All lights and indicators work, no leaks of any sort, tires are good, it’s not overly low and I can put silencers in the pipes to quiet it down.

Straight from VICROADS:

1. A vehicle to be used between the hours of 7:00pm and 7:00am, except in the following circumstances -

• where a vehicle is collected from the place of purchase to be driven to the residence of the owner or the garaged address nominated on the permit; or

single trip journeys where specified on the permit form

Show me a burnt out three wheeled shell that can do that :laugh: