SAU Community

Speedo Not Working And Hicas Light On

Hey Guys,

I have a 1990 R32. My speedo all of a sudden dropped out, and my hicas light has come on and the power steering is heavy. when you first drive the car for the first 5-10 mins all is good, steering is fine, then the light comes on and the steering becomes heavy. i have checked power steering fluid and topped that up. Just wondering if anyone knows what the problem may be....... the speedo esp is rather annoying!

Cheers!

Pammy <Queen R32>

Sounds like you've snapped the little needle on the end of the speedo cable where it goes into the back of the dash.

Exactly the same symptoms as when mine snapped. You can get a new one from Nissan but I can't remember how much it cost, don't think it was too outrageous though :P

Sounds like you've snapped the little needle on the end of the speedo cable where it goes into the back of the dash.

Exactly the same symptoms as when mine snapped. You can get a new one from Nissan but I can't remember how much it cost, don't think it was too outrageous though :P

Thanks for that!!!!! And would that make the hicas light come on and the power steering not work properly? If i were to call nissan and ask them for the needle on the end of the speedo cable that goes in the back of dash will they know what im on about? haha

Thanks heaps!!!!!!

Also, do you nkow where io would go to get it installed?

Thanks for that!!!!! And would that make the hicas light come on and the power steering not work properly? If i were to call nissan and ask them for the needle on the end of the speedo cable that goes in the back of dash will they know what im on about? haha

Thanks heaps!!!!!!

Also, do you nkow where io would go to get it installed?

Basically the HICAS light is coming on because the HICAS ECU is throwing up an error due to lack of signal (it gets a road speed signal from the speedo which then sends it to the ECU). Our cars also have speed sensitive steering which kicks in at about 80kmh (light steering for low speed and parking etc, heavy steering for high speed etc), if it doesn't get a road speed signal or a steering angle signal, after a few minutes it will throw up an error and your steering will go heavy.

Unfortunately you can't just buy the needle as it is integral with the cable so you need to get a whole speedo cable. Head to Northside Nissan and specify the year and model of your car and they should be able to sort you out, when I got mine they had one in stock so it was all good..

Any competent mechanic who knows skylines should be able to do it. I did mine myself when I put the 25 box and 280kmh dash in.

Good luck :P

Spot on! Cable broken.

Mr Keets R32 had the same problem last week. New cable, all fixed.

Northside is the palce to get it, probably cost around 120-130ish. It will take about an hour to install.

Good Luck

Mine was doing the same but it was just the needle 'popping' out. Pulled it out, regreased it and put it back to gether not a problem now.

If you need a hand shoot me a pm and ill help you fix it.

• 2 months later...
Basically the HICAS light is coming on because the HICAS ECU is throwing up an error due to lack of signal (it gets a road speed signal from the speedo which then sends it to the ECU). Our cars also have speed sensitive steering which kicks in at about 80kmh (light steering for low speed and parking etc, heavy steering for high speed etc), if it doesn't get a road speed signal or a steering angle signal, after a few minutes it will throw up an error and your steering will go heavy.

Unfortunately you can't just buy the needle as it is integral with the cable so you need to get a whole speedo cable. Head to Northside Nissan and specify the year and model of your car and they should be able to sort you out, when I got mine they had one in stock so it was all good..

Any competent mechanic who knows skylines should be able to do it. I did mine myself when I put the 25 box and 280kmh dash in.

Good luck :O

Hi, I'm having this same problem too.I've tried many times to reassemble the speedometer to the cable but the needle either doesn't contact properly with the meter or the internal part of the cable sank in.Do you have any idea how to secure the needle to the cable? There's also a spring inside the needle..it dropped out initially but I put it back, still won't work.Please help!

Edited by EJD

Looks like someone got use out of the search feature, a new cable is only $100, can get from dvg morley or northside nissan, or any other dealer i suppose. Take a pick!

just one thing though northside nissan only stocks the GTR cables you can use them but they are too long you have to get the GTS-t one ordereed in, i got the gtr one and it works but doesn't look very good under the car

Hmm that explains why my cable is so long.. I was changing gearboxes at the time so just assumed it was a difference in the boxes..

You can get them to order you the right cable though.

Edited by bubba