SAU Community

Yammy R1 Vs R32 Gtr

Because of the massive money pit GTR's can be (my early bnr32 is nice but will need a rebuild in time. basic costing is about 40k all up)

Fuel, police attention, VN V6 P plater commodore attention, maintence, and all the other hooks that owning a GTR involves (man this car opened my eyes and wallet regarding running a vehicle of this calibre)

I'm thinking of selling the beast and buying an R1,

sure I'll get wet, and maybe I'll kill myself.. but The GTR altho dry can kill me just as easy.

I drive my car daily btw, I dont want running costs on 2 cars, but could handle a shitter runabout and a bike I spose.

I'm sure many of you have wieghed the pro's and cons getting your performance hit from a bike or a car and the running costs involved.

Sure its a Skyline forum, I want to spend another $40k getting my car where it is and can schedule that in over maybe 2 years, I honestly cant see another car I would be happy to have forked out a total of $60k... ish for other than a mint BNR32 Group A race car for the road.

Does anyone expect these cars to go up in value? what about historic Group A racaing? I'd ike to see that happen and my rebuild would reflect the R32's race history more than 'rice' factor.

In a way I am yearing for that brand new feeling, and rebuilding an old car may not meet that requirement.

R1 I get the new smell and the same power hit in a more cost efficent manner :wave:

pros/cons anyone?

cons for the r1...

rain,fender benders that kill instead of bend,no boost,no comfort,only one mate at a time,getting hit by vn commodore p platers,not turning heads,getting beaten by gsxr's,joining the r1 forum and leving the skyline one :wave:

I'm in the same situation and after weighing the pro's and cons I've decided on the cheap shitbox 2nd car.

For me the final decider was taking the dog, in the shitbox I don't care if he leaves hair everywhere.

Gtst and Triumph speed triple luv 'em both. 290rwkw for the Gtst and what ever the factory delivers for the Triumph, hang in there, it gets way easier as you get older, money will come. My biggest hassle is weighing up a Skyline day and some motorcycle rally somewhere, which do I go to. So far the bike meets are winning, a ride, a band, and getting on the gas with my mates, fixes me up for now.

I had plenty of MotoX bikes though my teens & have owned a few sportbikes the past 5 years. Last roadbike was a K4 gixxer thou. Yes bikes are cheaper to run & maintain and can be thrashed repeatably more reliably with little to go wrong, (mine ran 10.6 quarters repeatably).

With the latest ltr bikes you'll see 160km/hr in 1st & ~200km/hr in 2nd, yet pull 6th gear comfortably from 30km/hr (gixxer excels here). One thing i learnt was that the 'majority' (not saying all) of riders out there who rode R1's were posers & left a little to be desired with there riding capabilities. So if you havnt ridden before or have little experience riding i'd be opting for something a little smaller in capacity. Latest R6's will reel of low/flat 11's & wont send you skywards everytime you crack the throttle in the lower gears.

In the end I got back into modified cars, & discovered i dont always have to go fast in my gtr to enjoy it. Yeh the gtr is a moneypit compared to bikes but figured the money wouldnt make a difference if i was dead or disabled.

Just my 2c.

Mike

You'll find that a lot of guys on here have fast bikes as well. They are different beasts. I kept the Skyline when I got into bikes though. Only $6k for a 10yo Bandit that supposedly does 10' s off the showroom floor.

i rekon you buy a cbr or gixxer 1000.. r1's are a hoons bike.. a REAL rider wont really want to ride a r1, hav heard that from alot and alot of experienced riders iv ridden with..

although the limited edition yellow r1 looks sex!

i rekon keep the gtr and buy a gsxr 1000

I have an 01 R1 and have been riding it daily for a few years. Everybody has an opinion on certain bikes like they do with cars. Test ride a few, see which one feels the best.

At the moment $22 fills the r1 and gets me just over 200ks. $78 in the GTR gets me shy of 300.

Rego is cheaper and the r1 in standard trim is much faster than my 34 gtr v spec.

Sux to ride in the rain but just go easy and harden up a little. Have to be very careful for other drivers though.

On a good dry day, i enjoy riding the bike more than driving the GTR. Putting your knee down on a corner is an awesome buzz.

All new 1k bikes are f#*kn fast. What it comes down to is comfort and personal preferance (usually based on looks) I have had bikes for years cant live without one,once you can ride a new thou hard it will take one hell of a skyline to spook ya. The need to make your car go faster deminishes somewhat. I have had gsxr750 x 1 gsxr750/1100 x 1 gsxr1000 k3 & k5 a busa and now a zx10r none were stock. I currently have 174rwhp on the 10r power to wieght is 1kg-1rwhp. But, I cant live without a car so may aswell own the best car I can. My advice keep the line get the bike...

I’ve recently gone from solely riding a sportsbike (CBR600RR) 7 days a week (for over a year) to owning a Skyline (R34 GTT) so will add my 2 cents.

Pro's of the bike

- Speed: (obviously), any gear will destroy pretty much anything on the road. Full stop, they are insane (I've owned 1000’s before and R1 is overkill for the road, 600 is more than enough. This is stock, no need to mod = save thousands on the modding bug.

- Manoeuvrability: The tiniest of gaps is yours, which means no more sitting behind slow coaches in the right hand lane (this really frustrates me since getting the skyline). Also pretty easy to manoeuvre out of dangerous situations (e.g. if someone tries to merge into you) and obviously traffic is no issue due to lane splitting ability (lets not get into that can of worms on a car forum though…)

- Parking: Pretty much fit anywhere for free.

- Fuel efficiency: less than 6L/100kms and run 10’s stock – cant ask for more than that.

- Women love them…

Cons of the bike:

- Safety: This depends on a combination of your roadcraft (not racing skill, I mean ability to anticipate others and set up the brakes ect); your willpower (ability to resist the need to do silly stuff) and a small portion of luck (no matter how careful you are things completely out of your control can happen). Unfortunately instead of a bent bumper your looking at months in hospital or death.

- Comfort: R1 will kill your back (there is more comfortable sportsbikes out there but still not as comfy as a car). No rain protection - this means rain gear in the wet (hot and uncomfortable). Also due to the safety factor you need to wear helmet, boots, Kevlar jeans, leather jacket = very hot in summer, freezing in winter. When you get to work your clothes will be crushed and you stick, which means either keeping a spare set of clothes at work or getting changed.

- Load carrying ability: If it doesn’t fit into a backpack its not coming with you.

After 1 year with just a bike and 3 months with just a car I am now going to keep the Skyline and get another 600cc bike so I can have the best of both worlds. Commute mostly with the bike to save fuel and get through traffic and take the car when its rainy, windy, I need to carry something or I’m just tired. I really don’t think you need a 1000cc for road or track, 600 is more than enough speed (still too much!). 1000 has significantly higher running costs over a 600 too (fuel, tyres, purchase cost, maintenance ect.). I would never go back to just a bike and no car – takes too much dedication.

I once beat an Yamaha R1 in my 32 gtr.

that was a fun night.

he couldnt beleive himself. beaten by a car, nice bloke tho had a good chat to him after.

Stock R1s run 9s. Maybe he didnt know what the twisty thing under his right wrist was?

Dont ride bikes myself....yet, just a bit of farm/paddock thrashing on a trail bike.

But the old man has been riding for 30+ years,

Keep the skyline and get a bike, but dont get a 1000, 600s (according to dad, and mates who ride) are much more fun, and less looney.

What ever you do dont get a scooter.....scum of the road! :D haha

And a stock R1 may be able to run a 9sec 1/4 (still think a 10 is more likely), but i gaurantee you that the dude who ran the 9 was one hell of a rider, not your average bloke whos been riding for a couple of years. Average rider on an R1 would prob run a 11sec 1/4. Launching bikes is increadibly more difficult than launching a car.

I also was in the exact same situation. Although i ended up keeping the car and getting a bike. I started on a 05 GSX-R 750, was a fantastic bike, not agressive enough to launch you into space if you were a little tired and jolted the throttle a little, but still fast enough to scare the shite out of you when you wound it on. I sold my car and just had the bike for a while, it was great temorarily, but as soon as it started raining for a few days i was very unhappy. You can't see with the water all over your visor, the feeling of water streaming off the tank onto your crotch is just fantastic... other motorists hardly see you during the day, let alone in the rain when they can hardly avoid other cars let alone a bike. It is never relaxing, if you want to go on a Sunday cruise with a mate, you can't just relax with the windows down and cruise along having a chat, your always on edge on a bike, looking for who could possibly kill you or what could go wrong on the next corner (gravel, sticks, oil, grease, water etc). I then bought my GTR, did not regret it even slightly. I love riding, i go every weekend i can but nothing beats jumping in your car and going for a thrash with a mate and listening to some music. Actually thats another point, long distance trips on sports bikes... blows, you will be very sore, wrists, back and general body gets cramped unless you stop every few hours.

All in all what im trying to say is, bikes are fantastic and definitely get one. I have since traded my 750 and have a GSXR 1000 K8. In short, its rediculous, they are extremely sharp and sensitive, if you don't treat them with respect you will die. I have had 3 mates come off 1000's because of throttle issues on cold tires or simple stuff like turning out of a street with some sand on the road, nothing fatal, but enough to write one side of the bike off and lose some skin. I don't think having a 1000 is really necessary unless your fairly serious about the track, you will never ever utilise anywhere near its potential on the road, the 750 was every bit as good for cruising about the place, the acceleration of the 1000's are brutal, 0 - 200km/h in around 7.4 seconds on the Gixxer K8 1000 (if you are good enough to do it, im not..) So if you can, keep the GTR and get a 600 or 750, i also agree with the others, i have ridden a few R1's and they are not as nice on the street as the GSXR or the CBR's. They lack torque and power low down, its all up in the high revs. They are not as happy to put around at 60 in high gears and the bike in general is tuned much more for track use then street use. You can see reviews of the bikes at Motorcycle USA, very good reads if you want to look at a few dif bikes.

Oh, and here is my baby..

post-4555-1212398915_thumb.jpg