SAU Community

Tapping Noise In Rb25

Here's the story - The car is a series 2 R33. It hasn't been driven for over 6 months now (apart from in and out of the drive way), however i usually start it and let it run once a week. Last time i started it, it ran fine for a couple of minutes then a tapping noise started to come from the engine. It sounds to be coming from the back of the engine and will get faster as the revs increase. I'm thinking (hoping) it's just the lifters, however i'm worried that it could be piston slapping or something... Any help will be much appreciated.

does the car still have good power?? i rekon its noisy lifters try putting some fresh oil in it see how you go

I haven't driven the car since the noise started, however the last time i drove it (over 6 months ago) it was still making good power. I plan to try changing the oil soon, if that gets rid of the noise does that mean it's definitely the lifters? Is it even possible to spin a bearing under idle? The noise came on suddenly under idle without previously being driven.

I've heard the noise on an SR20. It had old oil and was thrashed around. It got worse. The oil was finally changed but the noise stayed.

Change the oil :D

I haven't driven the car since the noise started, however the last time i drove it (over 6 months ago) it was still making good power. I plan to try changing the oil soon, if that gets rid of the noise does that mean it's definitely the lifters? Is it even possible to spin a bearing under idle? The noise came on suddenly under idle without previously being driven.

ok mate well just put some fresh oil in it let it run the noise should stop for you, there is no why you can spin a bearing at idle i have heard louder lifters then that before after rebuilds so dont be to worried

thats not a good noise.... sounds a lot like one of the pistons is slapping the wall....... very similar to how mine sounded before we pulled the motor apart and found a lot of bad :<

you need to get this checked out by someone good asap.. fingers crossed for you bud, hope its just lifters.

mate ive heard dat same sound b4 on a rb25det neo that was bought from a reputable workshop. everyone said lifters, so i went to get the shims checked. All were within spec, so wasnt lifters. motor than got pulled apart. bearing were all fine. even compressions test came back fine lol.

And it was the EXACTTTTT noise, coming from the EXACT place. motor was stil making the same power, and i drove it for 5000kms (until the workshop replaced the motor for me) and it didnt get any worst or damage anything.

Had that same noise last year, turned out to be valve guides.Got the head reconditioned and all was good apart from an empty wallet. :thumbsup:

I had exactly the same problem except it was a little different when i started the car it would go tick tick tick for a few moments then after a bit it would stop but when i was driving i could hear it when the windows where down when i was driving,anyway about a week ago i did an oil change with some motul 4100 turbolight oil and its seemed to have fixed the problem.....the oil is expensive but give it a try it fixed my problem it may fix yours

post-38649-1212478847_thumb.jpg

Edited by benkoau

Humbla, what was a reco head worth?

South coast nsw $710,did a 100000 service as well,labour was 600.All up cost was $2625,wallet empty credit card full. :D

Flushed through some cheap oil and filled it up with some motul 8100 and she's as good as knew. Assuming it was just my lifters due to leaving the car for so long. Thanks for all your help people.