SAU Community

Underbodie Aero

Jack88

latly i have seen a few videos of an R34 with underbodie aero kits installed and it has spiked my interest.i have an aftermarked front bak on my R33 so the oridginal plastic parts dont line up on anything and just flap around any way so i think ill start fabing up a template to make a front underbodie aero "guide" or whatever you want to call it.

not sure as to what ill make it out of yet but probly some sort of plastic.

opinions welcom

Jack

latly i have seen a few videos of an R34 with underbodie aero kits installed and it has spiked my interest.i have an aftermarked front bak on my R33 so the oridginal plastic parts dont line up on anything and just flap around any way so i think ill start fabing up a template to make a front underbodie aero "guide" or whatever you want to call it.

not sure as to what ill make it out of yet but probly some sort of plastic.

opinions welcom

Jack

Hey man

I have one on my R32 that is made from 4mm sheet metal, from there it tucks up into the front bar and just screws into place where the bash plate normally is. Works a treat!!

Edited by Phils32

underbody

the best bet would be some fairly think sheet alluminium. make a template out of cardboard, transfer onto the sheet, cut it out, bolt it on. :P

Dont forget that you actually still want the air to be able to leave the engine bay from the bottom of the car, if you seal it to well it will actually create lift on teh front end and hamper your handling not help it.

that said, if done correctly it will help remove air from the engine bay causing low pressure in the bay and helping downforce (or atleast decrease lift)

use this time to seal from the front bar to your cooler, then from cooler to radiator to increase efficiency of both. also forces air the go elsewhere Ie to the sides, which will also increase the efficiency of the front end and reduce drag.

Sasha Anis of SG Motorsport in canada did an amazing buildup of his S14 and documented his underbody aero fabrication on a forum... here's some pics to give you some ideas:

Mockup:

underbody01.jpg

underbody02.jpg

underbody03.jpg

Fabbing:

05~2.jpg

06~1.jpg

01~3.jpg

03~2.jpg

04~2.jpg

02~2.jpg

Painted:

07~1.jpg

On the track:

insidetrack03.jpg

insidetrack04.jpg

ziptied03.jpg

Early damage:

ziptied02.jpg

Unfortunately the car was written off on the track and eventually parted out (think Sasha's still running a 350GT in the production class racing)... but goddamn... what a car. Should give you fellas some ideas.

It was made using honeycomb aluminium sandwiched between aluminium sheets, to reduce weight and maximise strength and rigidity.

Shan - any pics of the front section finished?

with something that seal on the front vents out fo the engine bay into the guards would work the same as leaving vents on the underneath - 2 ducst like on the rear section on the front section would work too.

naca duct for the diff cooling is a good idea.