SAU Community

The Goods On Oils

PHaT MR30

Just stick with the 5W30 in summer. There's no real need to go thicker as the oil temps will still roughly be the same when its the motor is hot anyway (as the coolant indirectly will remove the heat).

and ur cold start cSt rating will be like much less thanthat of the 10W40....

one question for Busky and trex...I use a 10W30 in my fto and is the goods....I had been using a 10W40 Redline in my Rb25...what u think about lowring it to 10/5W30 as we move into summer...prop. the same as post above.

its a rb25 worked to 300rwkw...I went the 10W40 redline as I thought it to be a good general thickness...yeah might gove the 30 a go...

what weight and brand do u use??

What's your avg oil temp?

A general rule of thumb is to increase oil viscosity by a grade if oil temp increase by 10'c.

hi, im the guy who used to put repco semi synthetic in his r33.

I did my oil change last weekend using mobil1 0w40 and omg can't believe how much smoother it is now. (either mobil1 really good or repco oil just pure cr*p) for some reason i have a feeling its the second one

khunjeng, stay with Redline, its a good oil. Or Motul's 300V "Double Ester" formulation looks great too (mega dose of Moly!).

I'm going to stick with the redline for sure...I havn't got a oil temp guage - i was going to install one but then didn't. Maybe its a must - I assume its hotter but then again I only take it to the max on the odd occassion and its driven on the street.

btw Trex..finally got into the BITOG..saw a few of ur posts...just sussing out UOA now and will post some results using the 10W30 redline.

I'm going to stick with the redline for sure...I havn't got a oil temp guage - i was going to install one but then didn't. Maybe its a must - I assume its hotter but then again I only take it to the max on the odd occassion and its driven on the street.

btw Trex..finally got into the BITOG..saw a few of ur posts...just sussing out UOA now and will post some results using the 10W30 redline.

Have you found a UOA kit yet? Which company are you senting for analysis? I'm now using Wearcheck usa

Have you found a UOA kit yet? Which company are you senting for analysis? I'm now using Wearcheck usa

yeah I have and got the sample sent to me already. I used a company that Busky2k gave me...I will chnage the oil and take the sample and send it off..I'm excited :laugh:

Been busy changing ATF and GB and DIFF oils in other cars...omfg ATF changes suck arse.