SAU Community

The Goods On Oils

PHaT MR30

PP available here? Thats pretty cool. How much was it Cubes? Apparently its basestock is similar to PAO in performance but not as expensive to make.

PS Remember $49 for D1 at Motrex. Unbeatable!

i dont know if im the only one here, but i think Motul 4100 or 300v dont really suite street use....

the car runs like a pig when the oil is cold, and it never used to do it when i had castrol in it.......so maybe the oil is too thick???

i dont know. i do get heaps of oil pressure( sometimes it nearly reaches 8 bar).

anyone had the same experience???

Oil in no way can make the car run like a pig. :(

Its a coincidence.

Mine no matter what oil I run hits slightly over 8kg cm2 on the stock gtst guage. Well I lie, the castrol 5w30 would sit just under the 8kgcm2 line.

At full throttle it hits 6.5ish, I forget exactly but it is high.

PS Remember $49 for D1 at Motrex. Unbeatable!

i got d1 here in sydney from the mobil distributor, works out just over $59 a bottle, i got ripped! maybe next time ill mail order some over from motorex might work out cheaper.

59 was also the 'bulk' price, i should have paid about $65 per bottle but i got the discount by being friendly.

since i have put it in the only difference i see is the oil seems to warm up quicker (than motul 4100) the weather has warmed up a bit too so it may only be due to that and not the oil. (i think the d1 is a bit thinner?)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Fellas, after hours of reading and researching i am LOST!!! On first service, I used Castrol R and wasn't anything special... then on my second service my mate who owns a spare parts shop recommended i use Nulon 10W40 Fully Synth Oil ($50/5L)... The car felt much smoother in acceleration than the Castrol... But i heard the Castrol EDGE is supposed to be much better...

post-23753-1157726715.jpg

http://www.nulon.com.au/products.php?productId=syn10w40

What you think about Nulon Oil? What group is it?

I'm tossing up between either:

- Castrol EDGE 0W40 ($70/5L @ Supercheap)

- Nulon 10W40 ($50/5L @ Mates shop)

- Mobil 1 0W40 ($50/5L @ Supercheap)

Car: R33 RB25DET, 70,000kms, Daily driving, ocassional run...

Please Help!!

Cheers,

Sarkis

Oh yea another thing... why is there such a price differnece between Castrol EDGE 5W30 ($49/5L) and Castrol EDGE 0W40 ($70/5L)???

Is there any differences in quality? grade?

Cheers,

Sarkis

- Castrol EDGE 0W40 ($70/5L @ Supercheap)

- Nulon 10W40 ($50/5L @ Mates shop)

- Mobil 1 0W40 ($50/5L @ Supercheap)

Car: R33 RB25DET, 70,000kms, Daily driving, ocassional run...

Please Help!!

Cheers,

Sarkis

I would say, go for the Mobil 1 0w40. Best deal then the rest propose above.

Thanks Trex... seems like the way to go... Any other opinions?

What you guys think about NULON??

Cheers,

Sarkis

Got no idea about the engine oil but the engine oil additives looks dodgy. How can PTFE is used in the engine oil? Sound like a "Slick 50" type of advertising to me.

More information on PTFE in engine oil.

PTFE

So why would you choose Mobil 1 over Castrol EDGE? What are the benifits/differences?

Cheers,

Sarkis

Both M1 0w40 & Castrol 0w40 are group IV PAO base but M1 reputation is better with track/race proven and the oil is $20 cheaper. It's a no brainer... Go with M1 0w40.

ok guys, need to clear one thing up..i spoke to a mate about engine oil. he states that, as a car gets older, or as it becomes more worn and torn, the engine needs thicker oils.

now, he says 5/40- 10/40 and the rest of em are the sorts of oils you would use in brand new cars with out much wear..

i hav been putting penzoil 20 50 in my rb25 and hav had no dramas for the past few years..

now this is my question!!...why is everyone putting such thin oil into these liners, which are 5-15 yrz old now.. should u be putting thicker oils as the kms tick over?

please clarify this, or better improve my understanding. cheers :P

ok guys, need to clear one thing up..i spoke to a mate about engine oil. he states that, as a car gets older, or as it becomes more worn and torn, the engine needs thicker oils.

now, he says 5/40- 10/40 and the rest of em are the sorts of oils you would use in brand new cars with out much wear..

i hav been putting penzoil 20 50 in my rb25 and hav had no dramas for the past few years..

now this is my question!!...why is everyone putting such thin oil into these liners, which are 5-15 yrz old now.. should u be putting thicker oils as the kms tick over?

please clarify this, or better improve my understanding. cheers :P

Generally not true, it's the condition of your engine that determine the viscosity needed, not numbers of years. In fact if you have taken care of your engine using quality synthetic, you shouldn't be seeing much engine wear.

FYI, I'm using 5w20 oil for my 130k puny honda engine and it doesn't consume a single drop of oil. The engine pull even stronger than when i first get it at 16k mileage.