SAU Community

The Goods On Oils

PHaT MR30

standard nissan filter will do the job great.

I use Cooper filters that the local parts store keeps in stock. I once read a comparison of "3rd party" filter brands that the Cooper filter did a bloody good job. See here:

http://www.aus-cartalk.com/auspoc/techstuff.htm

Remember that the manufacturer filters are usually just other brands with the car maker's name stamped on it instead. So you're relying on your car manufacturer to specify a filter that does a satisfactory job (comes down to a trust thing really!).

The cooper filter base plate looks just like my Nippon Micro base plate. I wonder if they are from the same manufacturer but different brand?

Mobil is a true PAO synthetic oil with added esters. Contains good levels of detergent and anti wear addatives.

Motormates also do the Purolator oil filters.

Mobil 1 does not have any esters :unsure: They use alkylated naphalines in its place now. Purolator Pure 1s are damn good filters for the money. I'd rather pay for a Pure One than get a free Ryco.

Links, the 8100 is a good oil. But if you can get the Mobil 1 0W40 at a similar price, then get it because it is superior.

But if you can get the Mobil 1 0W40 at a similar price, then get it because it is superior.

I disagree. Ran Mobil 1 in the pulsar and it went off very quickly, and before the service interval. It went from the high mark and light brown to the low mark and dark brown in the space of 2 weeks and an old pac run. My service interval was 5000km which should be very very conservative on a stock SSS.

Motul 8100 never used a drop on my RB20 over 5000km and came out still looking great.

I dislike oils that go off that quickly. Castrol Synth-R was also low on the dipstick after only 4000km on my RB20.

Stick with the Motul 8100. You can't go wrong.

An oil that goes dark is cleaning and suspending crap better than an oil that doesn't.

I'd much prefer my oil to go dark than stay light.

If its using oil... Then for the given motor its too thin, castrol 5w30 is too thin for my rb30det as it uses around 500-1000mls per 5000kms. throw a 40 weight in it and it doesn't use a drop.

Bought some Shell Helix Ultra... will give it a go... I plan on running it for 10,000 KMs... then again I dont push my car to extremes, dont take it to the track and its stock.

Can anyone confirm that it should be ok running it 10,000 KM?

Depends on the cars condition and how you drive.

Lots of short trips you are better off every 5000k.

Hows your fuel economy? Fuel economy is an indication if your dumping fuel in to the oil excessively.

To truley know you need to do a few oil analysis.

I disagree. Ran Mobil 1 in the pulsar and it went off very quickly, and before the service interval. It went from the high mark and light brown to the low mark and dark brown in the space of 2 weeks and an old pac run. My service interval was 5000km which should be very very conservative on a stock SSS.

Motul 8100 never used a drop on my RB20 over 5000km and came out still looking great.

I dislike oils that go off that quickly. Castrol Synth-R was also low on the dipstick after only 4000km on my RB20.

Stick with the Motul 8100. You can't go wrong.

You are comparing 2 different oils running in 2 different cars??

Mobil 1 0W40 is probably their best M1 range they offer here in Aust. It meets MB 229.5, where it is used in cars who's OCIs of 30,000ks+ are the norm. For it to go 'off' in under 5000km just by looking at it is just an assumption, especially with no oil analysis results. smile.gif Perhaps the thinness of the 0W40 promoted more oil consumption, same with the Castrol R 5W30.

I suggest you try comparing the OEM certs between Motul 8100 and M1 0W40 and you'll see which is superior.

Sir-D, Helix Ultra will do a 10,000km OCI comfortably on a stock motor, providing its in good condition.

what happens if u use a mineral oil instead of synthetic? what is estimated time/km's for sludge build up?

Mineral is good for running the new engine in... its not recommended running it after around 5000-10000 Kms after... do more research.

An oil that goes dark is cleaning and suspending crap better than an oil that doesn't. I'd much prefer my oil to go dark than stay light.

If its using oil... Then for the given motor its too thin

Good to know and I agree with you on the first point too.

Just for reference I am using Mobil1 5W50 in my GTR and its not 'using' any at all.

Its also gone quite black since my February oil change.

Have to say that Shell Helix Ultra is performing pretty well in my car. Economy so far seems pretty good. Just got under half a tank of petrol and the car has done around 250 KM... car is auto.

Also the revs are smooth and no harsh noise.

Have to say that Shell Helix Ultra is performing pretty well in my car. Economy so far seems pretty good. Just got under half a tank of petrol and the car has done around 250 KM... car is auto.

Also the revs are smooth and no harsh noise.

SHU is consider kindda >_< over here due to it's sluggish performance and high cost for a group III oil.

Ill run it for 10 000 kms maybe 7000 Kms then put Mobil 1 in... see how goes, no biggie.

I second that, go for 10k before next oil change. For that type of price you are paying for SHU, you better maximise the useage.

Well busky2k i couldnt get the mobil or the motul as i went to supercrap and they dont stock it, i ended up buying the 0w40 castrol edge and a pure one filter. It should do the job.

Once again thanks for all your advice.