SAU Community

The Goods On Oils

PHaT MR30

This might be of interest to those of you who like objective information; i've made a small table with some oil specs on it.

If anyone can find Motul specs PM me and i'll update the table. If anyone can tell me how to make an html table appear in a post, PM me. Pasting the HTML didnt work.

http://www.jaftan.com.au/skyline/engine/oilspecs.html

Rgs,

Kot

hey great information however there wasn't much talk about the VII content of wide spread multi-grades...i.e. as an eariler post by TREX01 stated good to keep the spread as close as possible i.e. 10w30 or 15w40...

are there any other opinions on this?

hey great information however there wasn't much talk about the VII content of wide spread multi-grades...i.e. as an eariler post by TREX01 stated good to keep the spread as close as possible i.e. 10w30 or 15w40...

are there any other opinions on this?

I do know that some oil like Redline 5w20, 5w30, 10w30 & 10w40 do not contain VII. The 5w40 may contain some or little VII.

Some Infor on VII and the shearing effect

Bobistheoilguy

I do know that some oil like Redline 5w20, 5w30, 10w30 & 10w40 do not contain VII. The 5w40 may contain some or little VII.

Some Infor on VII and the shearing effect

Bobistheoilguy

yeah I read that exact website after I posted it! however for other "full syns" which many are based on mineral base stock do...the HTHS rating should indicate the amount of VII addatives on wider spread oils I guess.

after reading al the stuff on the link it was quite intresting....worth a read if you want to understand oil ratings better. Most intresting were some of the comments about the cold start and operating temperature viscosity of of 10w30 Vs a 15w50 for example...

Edited by khunjeng

I USE Motul Turbolight 4100.

Have used many oils before and Motul is by far the best. My engine still idle's beautifully and the car runs smoothly as if its still new (its a 93 model) and its done well over 120 clicks now. As long as you put good quality oil and change it every 5000 clicks, it should be running like new. RB's are bullet proof if you dont do stupid mods.

Anyways Motul Oil is my choice Unless the engine is heavily modded and used as a Track car i cant understand why you would use any other oil!

and besides, its French hehe.

Have used many oils before and Motul is by far the best. My engine still idle's beautifully and the car runs smoothly as if its still new (its a 93 model) and its done well over 120 clicks now. As long as you put good quality oil and change it every 5000 clicks, it should be running like new. RB's are bullet proof if you dont do stupid mods.

Anyways Motul Oil is my choice Unless the engine is heavily modded and used as a Track car i cant understand why you would use any other oil!

as there are no defined specifications (that I can find) for Motul I can't really see what the difference is between the Turbolight and the 300V series are. It appears the 300V range is promoted as thier "double ester" and assume it has a higher ester content than the Turbolight which may infact be a PAO base stock...

Motul are very lacking on their specs...intresting. By no doubt their oils are all good quality.

lol I sound like trex01 now...hehehe

as there are no defined specifications (that I can find) for Motul I can't really see what the difference is between the Turbolight and the 300V series are. It appears the 300V range is promoted as thier "double ester" and assume it has a higher ester content than the Turbolight which may infact be a PAO base stock...

Motul are very lacking on their specs...intresting. By no doubt their oils are all good quality.

lol I sound like trex01 now...hehehe

Do you guys have access to UOA kit? This will tell you the avg from the good.

khunjeng, Turbolight is just a semisynthetic. like GTX Magnatec etc. Nothing out of the ordinary about it really.

I suspected it was a PAO base stock...so yeah...I would not recomend its use over the 300V or other ester based products

Edited by khunjeng

dunno this product is a bit lacking on specific info regarding what base stock they use.

They are using mainly 70-80% group IV PAO couple with 20-30% mineral additives carrier oil. They are pretty good but not quite a long drain oil. 10k is about max it can go.

HEY LADS,

I HAVE NARROWED MY OIL SELECTION DOWN TO 3:

MOBIL 1 5W/50

MOTUL 300V

MOTUL 8100 5W/40

my car is a 1994 R33 GTST, 126,000kms, manual.

which would be the best reccommended oil for my application.... up to now i have used MOBIL 1 but maybe its time for a change...

which is the best of these 3 for my car?

Also if i switch oils from Mobil 1 to Motul 300V or Motul 8100 5w/40 will i have to perform an engine flush to get rid of all remeins of Mobil 1?

any advice appreciated.

Beef

Edited by Beef

Geez this is an old thread good to see it revived.

We have conducted a heap of testing more recently again, testing in particular the SIn Penrite range and let me tell you don't overlook this stuff it shi.ts all over anything they have ever offered and competes better than some oild that were priced at double and tripple the SIN cost. Really recommend this oil its really good stuff!!

turbolight is a pretty average oil. that's why it's so cheap. it's a semi-synthetic oil. the 300V oils are 100%synthetic ester.

They are using mainly 70-80% group IV PAO couple with 20-30% mineral additives carrier oil. They are pretty good but not quite a long drain oil. 10k is about max it can go.

ok mate...yeah thats no so special really...not compared to the products we have been talking about.

Trex...one thing I'm not clear on is the group IV ratings...can u explain that a bit more...I'm pretty much down with everything else...type of PAO I assume.

ok mate...yeah thats no so special really...not compared to the products we have been talking about.

Trex...one thing I'm not clear on is the group IV ratings...can u explain that a bit more...I'm pretty much down with everything else...type of PAO I assume.

Ok, since you asked. Here are 2 link which talk more in depth into group I to V base stocks. :D

Base stock

Base stock 2

Edited by Trex101