SAU Community

The Goods On Oils

PHaT MR30

pretty similar with the conversion....I think it was u that put me onto it in the first place! and after doing some research and giving it a go I reckon its def. better (if u can afford it)

Yah... expensive but its good stuffs. >_<

Edited by Trex101

Trex101, you sound like you really know your oils. I've got a bottle of full synthetic Fuchs Titan Super GTO 10w-30, do you reckon it should be alright to put in my stock 33? I treat it like there's a baby in back seat and only rev her out about once or twice per tank of fuel. With that oil what should be my oil change intervals? It's usually 5000km but could i stretch that out a bit more?

Trex101, you sound like you really know your oils. I've got a bottle of full synthetic Fuchs Titan Super GTO 10w-30, do you reckon it should be alright to put in my stock 33? I treat it like there's a baby in back seat and only rev her out about once or twice per tank of fuel. With that oil what should be my oil change intervals? It's usually 5000km but could i stretch that out a bit more?

Not familiar with Fuchs GTO... Is it semi or fully syn? For turbo application, best to use group IV fully syn oil. I read from BITOG that you guys can get Mobil Delvac 1 5w40 for AU$30+ bucks per 5L. That's hell of a good deal over there. Go get that oil, it's a top notch oil for that type of pricing...

Not familiar with Fuchs GTO... Is it semi or fully syn? For turbo application, best to use group IV fully syn oil. I read from BITOG that you guys can get Mobil Delvac 1 5w40 for AU$30+ bucks per 5L. That's hell of a good deal over there. Go get that oil, it's a top notch oil for that type of pricing...

Yeah its fully synthetic. The guy that sells it runs it in his stock car(you know the cars that are constantly going sideways around a circular mud track). He sells it for $36.

The thing you need to remember is the rating of the oil. When the GT-R was released, ie late eighties the oil grade was something like SF or SG or thereabouts. Now it is SM or similar. Each change from SF to SG and so on is a quantifiable gain in the protective qualities of the oil. So just about any current oil will be markedly better than what was put in the engine when it was released.

i totally i agree..... i think its more important to change your oil and filter regularly than worrying to much on the quality of the oil....

a car running a cheaper oil changed often vs a car running a motul oil thats never changed is better imo......

either way

anyway

im a motul user too....

on the mobil site it says the 5w40 delvac oil is for diesels, is it ok for petrol engines too? please explain..?

on the mobil site it says the 5w40 delvac oil is for diesels, is it ok for petrol engines too? please explain..?

5W-40 is OK...nothing special tho...but as trex101 said its good value for money...

Edited by khunjeng

It's a dual rated oil with API SL (petrol)/CI-4 rating (diesel). This oil is make up of mostly group IV/V plus a very strong additives package due to the fact that diesel engine are alot more stressful & high load environment for the oil than petrol engine.

If it's cheap, use it. This oil can last much longer than 10k km OCI anytime.

I use Delvac 1 and for the money, its second to none, and is one of the worlds best oils, regardless of price. In fact, if anything it is better than their own Mobil 1 Super Syn range.

Its a pity its so hard to find though.

ok so what oil is best for a 16 year old rb20det? I have being using semi syn 15 w 50 or Pennzoil for a year now, but after reading all this i am beginning to think this oil aint really good for a engine my age? i hear conflicting reports that old engines shouldnt be using "thin" oil like 5w 30w etc, can someone clarify please?

thankyou

oh i ALWAYS change oil and filter at 5000-6000km, i am interested in using a oil that genuinely cleans the engine, as i think 15years of japanese air must not have done it much good. (its done 86000..but we all know about kmz on skylines lol)

oh i ALWAYS change oil and filter at 5000-6000km, i am interested in using a oil that genuinely cleans the engine, as i think 15years of japanese air must not have done it much good. (its done 86000..but we all know about kmz on skylines lol)

If budget is no issue, use ester base Redline 10w40 or 5w40. The ester will slowly but surely clean all the junk out of the engine.

If budget is no issue, use ester base Redline 10w40 or 5w40. The ester will slowly but surely clean all the junk out of the engine.

yep...go for it but don't expect too much change out of $130.

I've been using nothing but Motul 8100 5/40.

Was thinking of going 5/50 for track use but probably won't - will keep 5/40 and get an oil cooler. Would that be ok?

Also, anyone used ELF excellium 5/40? I've been thinking of switching, I think ELF are marketing excellium to take the 8100 market and for $10 if it's the same or better I'll switch.

I wish justjap wasn't so far away genuine nissan filter + 8100 5L for $65 ! Anyone know a place on the Northern Beaches/Shore that will do that!?

• 3 weeks later...
I read from BITOG that you guys can get Mobil Delvac 1 5w40 for AU$30+ bucks per 5L. That's hell of a good deal over there. Go get that oil, it's a top notch oil for that type of pricing...

Hey, i just called a place in sydney which sells this off the shelf (generally) and they want

$236inc gst for 20L

or

$177inc gst for 3x5L bottles

so its more like $60 for 5 litres not $30 unfortunately!

FYI the place is called fuel direct, in homebush 1300 781 982

fot that price you can get motul 8100(5w-40 as well), which do you think is better?

This might be of interest to those of you who like objective information; i've made a small table with some oil specs on it.

If anyone can find Motul specs PM me and i'll update the table. If anyone can tell me how to make an html table appear in a post, PM me. Pasting the HTML didnt work.

http://www.jaftan.com.au/skyline/engine/oilspecs.html

Rgs,

Kot