SAU Community

The Goods On Oils

PHaT MR30

• 2 weeks later...
I'm using Castrol Formula R 5W-30 (full synth). It costs $50 for 5 litres from Auto 1.

Edit: I no longer use the above oil. Not so much for the thickness of the oil but mostly because I think it's hell dodgy for a synthetic oil. I gave up using Castrol long ago.

Yup. I used to use Motul 8100 exclusively until my local store discontinued it. I tried some Castrol Synth-R they had instead. Used to change the Motul every 5000km and only ever lost a few ml, probably about as much as it took to fill the oil filter! The Castrol was low on the dipstick at 4000km.

Some difference. Won't be using Castrol again.

Yup. I used to use Motul 8100 exclusively until my local store discontinued it. I tried some Castrol Synth-R they had instead. Used to change the Motul every 5000km and only ever lost a few ml, probably about as much as it took to fill the oil filter! The Castrol was low on the dipstick at 4000km.

Some difference. Won't be using Castrol again.

The normal Castrol Syn-R could be make up of mostly group III thus the high noak% at high temp. The really good stuffs from Castrol are the German version Castrol syntec 0w30 or popularly call German Castrol in BITOG.

GC

I have found a few oils in Adelaide and was wondering if anyone (Cubes or fellow SA guys tell me what they think and which one to use)

Motul Turbolite 4100 (10W-40) $47.00 @ Repco City store

Mobul 1 (10W-30)- $82.00 @ City Repco, (10W-50) $65.00 @ Supacheap

Penrite Sin Engine Oil 5 (10W-40 (i think))- $41.00 @ Supacheap

Motul 300V (10W-40)- $89.00 @ City repco

Any ideas on what i should use?

Hey mate, Sin 5 is 5w-60 and i have seen it in a couple of places for around $65 so you may have got your figures a bit mixed up.. specs are on the penrite site. with your widely priced oils its hard to say what you should get, 300v is the best oil but it costs way more than others(and only for 4L) so it depends what u want to spend.

lol yeah i thought i did...

I was thinking the penrite, or the 300V but its hard to justify the extra 20 or so dollars...What do u think is the best disregarding the 300V?

I have found a few oils in Adelaide and was wondering if anyone (Cubes or fellow SA guys tell me what they think and which one to use)

Stick to the Motul Turbolight, Motul 8100 5w40 or Mobil 1 5w50. Shop around (Sprint Autoparts, Motor Mates, Autobarn, Repco, Autopro) as one of them usually have a special on. :)

More often than not you will be able to find Mobil 1 5w50 at around $50 on special some where.

Motormates currently have it for $54 - your 5% discount for becoming a member (free to do so) and its a damn good oil for the price. Mobil is a true PAO synthetic oil with added esters. Contains good levels of detergent and anti wear addatives.

Motormates also do the Purolator oil filters.

I say, go with Motul 300V. For that price, go for 10k oil change interval.

We just found out when we did his oil change that the vanish (under the valve cover & cam) left behind by his Castrol 10w50 was clean up after 3 oil change of Redline (10k oci). Ester oil is the way to go for highly stress/temp turbo engine.

Nothing wrong with 10w40 but the only way you will be getting that is via the semi-synthetic turbolight or the motul 300v. The 10w40 isn't available in motul 8100.

300V with a 10k change is the way to go if you can bring your self to do it. Just remember you need 5litres. :P

Hmm.. got my oil change coming up in the next couple of weeks.. been running penrite semi-synthetic, but might change to Motul 8100 5w40 as mechanic tends to get excited on charging me for oil..

Also - what filter do people reocommend? standard nissan one? or what

standard nissan filter will do the job great.

I use Cooper filters that the local parts store keeps in stock. I once read a comparison of "3rd party" filter brands that the Cooper filter did a bloody good job. See here:

http://www.aus-cartalk.com/auspoc/techstuff.htm

Remember that the manufacturer filters are usually just other brands with the car maker's name stamped on it instead. So you're relying on your car manufacturer to specify a filter that does a satisfactory job (comes down to a trust thing really!).

What do people think of Motul 8100 5w40??

I'm thinking of running this.. Going to pick up my oil filter today - nissan artarmon is close to work..

Edited by Links

Can Motul be found in any automotive store like Supercheap or Repco?

Just that I have never seen it there....maybe because I've never specifically looked for it.