SAU Community

The Goods On Oils

PHaT MR30

For that budget, go for Delvac 1 5w40. 5L should be enough for RB25 rite

Yep, the RB26 is about 4.75 litres total. Takes about 4.5L first, then when you start the car oil fills the reserviors and oil filter so the sump needs a bit more.

oops sorry

the car has done just over 70k

I'm a bit of a lead foot

Driven Daily..small trips... with roughly 100k trip a fortnight.

Just drove it over 2000k across the nullabor with no oil consumption.

Oil is black :no:

Doing oil change this weekend :happy: With a bit of help :)

I know it might be a bit late as you may have done your oil change but,

I was running castrol 10w 60 and changed to a castrol 0w 40 best change i have done. it starts better and the motor runs cooler by about 5-10 degrees less. What i have read from this forum is the 10w 60 is mainly for high kms and race cars.

Edited by subzeroR33

stagea girl. just buy a 4 litre, and a 2 litre of the 300V. yes it's more expensive, but it's a far, far better oil and i think it's better value when you consider the difference. plus your first oil buy will be expensive (need 6L) but then next time you only have to buy 4 :P

• 3 weeks later...

i'm currently using mobile 1, 5-40 i think (maybe 50)

rb25de

100000km

no oil loss at all

i drive it 3 times a week on average - and always like i stole it :O

you guys think i should change, i'm up for a service soon :)

Castrol EDGE is just rebranded Formula R. Not a single word was changed in the specifications in the PDS's from what I've gathered. But how knows, they might be different.

But yes being synthetics (well API Group 3 base anyway), they are much better suited to our cars than a semi or mineral oil. I still would say they are not as good as Mobil 1, judging by their specifications. Only their 0W40 would be the exception which would be comparable (being API Group 4, ie PAO).

I've trialed EDGE 5W30 in my car as 'flush'.. seems to be working well so far.

So Your saying that their 0w40 is their best oil in the Edge range?

Would my car be fine with 0w40? Its got the usual mods, highflow turbo, fmic, turboback zorst, ebc, chipped ecu. 98 R33 s2 under 70,000kms

man all this oil talk makes me feel guilty coz i just changed my oil with repco brand semi synthetic 10w40 thinking it has the same weight etc.

what do u guys think about that oil?? (anyone here actually ever used it, i know its pretty cr*ppy)

eng: rb25det(turbo back zorst, pod filter)

change interval: every 5k

driving style: granny street driving (occasional heavy foot)

oil consumption: b/w H and L from H after 4k

from what i've read so far Mobil delvac1 and Motul 300v is real good but a bit pricey, so im going for value and choosing Castrol Edge 5w30 for my next oil change, is that good enuff?

many thanks in advance

aquariuz6, yes IMO their 0W40 is the best out of the EDGE range and I would recommend it.

vbdotnet, well being Repco, what can I say. Will do the job for at least 5,000km intervals. I'd give the EDGE 5W30 a go on your next change. Devlac is too hard to find (although its easy for me) and 300V is a bit overkill for your R33 with the usual mods.

im uainf Mobil 1 15w/50. And im a mobil man.

please note Castrol do not make their own oil they sub contract it out. Well this info is about 8yo so i dont know they still did the same thing or not. Castrol do not take out the carbons in the engines out . thecarbons stays in the engine thus when you switch from castrol to mobil the engine shits itself. cos mobil oils takes the carbons out

Devlac is too hard to find (although its easy for me) and 300V is a bit overkill for your R33 with the usual mods.

Yes Delvac must be extremely hard to find if no one has answered my question as to where I can find it in Melbourne that was asked twice LOL :)

After lots of reading and searching I'll be going Delvac 1 next change, especially if I can get it at a decent price.

The old motul 8100 5w40 has jumped up in price it appears, I used to be able to get it for $60 now its jumped to $69. :)

On another note:

Spotted Pennzoil Platinum with its little 'made in the USA' sticker at the local repco store.

Interesting find.. First time I've seen it in AUS.

After lots of reading and searching I'll be going Delvac 1 next change, especially if I can get it at a decent price.

The old motul 8100 5w40 has jumped up in price it appears, I used to be able to get it for $60 now its jumped to $69. :(

On another note:

Spotted Pennzoil Platinum with its little 'made in the USA' sticker at the local repco store.

Interesting find.. First time I've seen it in AUS.

PP got pretty good review over in BITOG, it make up of mostly group V (not ester but EOP) base stocks. If it's cheap just use it.