SAU Community

The Goods On Oils

PHaT MR30

lol well lots of science and experimentation is actually based on subjective reporting and interpretation, it's actually the only thing we have besides theorising concepts.

But it's a long held philosophy of mine that nothing in this world is as such objective: it's a man in a white coat, what he says is always true.

And I think you make it sound more ridiculously metaphysical than it actually is, given an engine running rough tends to vibrate which tends to resonate through the body of a vehicle, which tends to resonate through our bodies...

It just feels like a heap of shit when I'm driving it soft (like cold start etc)

Compared to most modern A-B white good cars (like my dad's Corolla) which seem to be biased to low throttle (i.e. 10-20% throttle feels like 50%, this gives you an illusion that the car actually has some power...), my Skyline's even unbiased throttle makes it feel like a beached whale struggling to move at low throttle... ;)

Of course full throttle is completely different :(

I think Trozzle was talking more about the creaks and vibrations and problems rather than performance of the vehicle. What we mean is, they feel like they're going to fall apart unless you are giving them stick...ironically.i

for those with Ethanol concerns, i ran AMSoil 10w40 in my 34 when it was exclusively on E85, bout 18months. No milky issues etc - no UOA, but didn't seem to be any issues with it at all. And being a Yank oil i had more confidence in it being able to handle Ethanol.

I believe it is a Group IV/V blend - i got it from Harold at performancelub.com

Most ester oils (group V) should be fine with alcohol fuels! (eg: Motul 300v)

well i just put 2000kms on the m5000 and it ran well (tassie to the gold coast)

fuel consumption came down to aprox 11.4l/100 from a neo powered manual stagea which was full to the front seats with belongings and it included driving through some national park and sydney and newcastle

and it has a boost leak, im 99% sure (didn't have time to fix it b4 we left)

all in all, gotta love the sougi products

Hahaha, I have no interweb for one day and come back to all this hilarity. It's so true, the little rattles and squeaks drove me up the wall! But then you'd spend the best part of 24hrs looking for it and might fix it and then, there's another one! For easy things to control, like oil, you want one that protects and feels best, cos there's plenty of other things to worry about!

I just sold my car to someone on these forums. So mate, if you're reading this, you'll sympathise soon enough :P. But the reason everyone (almost) keeps the skylines, is the good bits.

I think this is the way with all enthusiast cars: they piss you off every now and then, but will always make you love them again (usually that right pedal helps)...

Scientists do not! Marketing however.....

agreed, scientists do not base anything on profit, any scientist of worth has his results reviewed in a peer reviewed journal, so if they are biased due to him getting paid more all his colleagues will call him out on it, his paper will be rubbished and so will his career, basically it almost never happens, and when it does no one ever takes them seriously again.

agreed, scientists do not base anything on profit, any scientist of worth has his results reviewed in a peer reviewed journal, so if they are biased due to him getting paid more all his colleagues will call him out on it, his paper will be rubbished and so will his career, basically it almost never happens, and when it does no one ever takes them seriously again.

except for the oil funded geologists ;)

except for the oil funded geologists ;)

except that no one actually takes their research seriously and most of it has been totally decimated by the scientific community, much like the scientists working for big tobacco to do studies on how 'good' it was for you back in the 70s :bunny:

Edited by Rolls

except that no one actually takes their research seriously and most of it has been totally decimated by the scientific community, much like the scientists working for big tobacco to do studies on how 'good' it was for you.

haha that is very true

Completely off topic but have you read Lies, Damned Lies, and Medical Science? Its an interesting read :D

Completely off topic but have you read Lies, Damned Lies, and Medical Science? Its an interesting read :(

yeah in the psychological scene with medical illnesses like depression etc it is so hard to prove something works that there is great area where profit can be made without actually helping anyone.

this thread sure went off topic lol

edit: great read! The fact that people like this exist and have a large audience shows that we have hope lol

Edited by Rolls

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I put http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Full_Synthetic_10W-40_Hi-Tech_Fast_Flowing_Engine_Oil/ into the car Monday evening when I changed the oil after having received my Dimple sump plug...jacked the car up from the left side jack point which causes (at a guess) around another 500ml to drain from the sump. Actually put about 6L in since I flog it a little bit, and given that i drained more than usual.

Will be good to see how it looks after 5000km, and to see if the "feel" and sound of the engine changes much during this time.

So it turns out Motul did indeed create a 10w40 8100 oil. Looks like this might be it. 5L for $69.95.

8100xmax.jpg

Hopefully this will fill the Sougi gap nicely. Anyone heard of this oil yet? I think it's only just been released, or is about to be.