SAU Community

Urgent Plz Help Me Urgently!

hi all, i have the current issue of my key being stuck in the ignition of my car....and from my research the car has to be fully engaged into Park (P) for it to release......

i have put the car into Park and have shaken, and rocked and bumped and everything on the gear stick and it still wont 'click' so that it will release the key.

i have even tried leaving the handbrake off and rocking the car from the outside to try and get it to click into place.....so im stuck!!!

i have work tonight and gotta use my car.......and there isnt secure parking around and yeah u know the drill with skylines..so yeah im in desperate need of help!!!

car is nissan skyline series 2 r33

Cheers

Matt

hi all, i have the current issue of my key being stuck in the ignition of my car....and from my research the car has to be fully engaged into Park (P) for it to release......

i have put the car into Park and have shaken, and rocked and bumped and everything on the gear stick and it still wont 'click' so that it will release the key.

i have even tried leaving the handbrake off and rocking the car from the outside to try and get it to click into place.....so im stuck!!!

i have work tonight and gotta use my car.......and there isnt secure parking around and yeah u know the drill with skylines..so yeah im in desperate need of help!!!

car is nissan skyline series 2 r33

Cheers

Matt

not sure if this will work but have u tried shaking the sterring wheel till it locks/clicks? my key normally gets stuck sometimes and/or wont start until ishake the steering wheel its weird. maybe you should give that a try?

undo the gear shift surround'

you will see a cable linkage that goes from the gear shift up to the back of the ignition tumbler,

it has obviously stretch or being damaged at some stage, look and study the mechanisim see which way it has to move when being in park then give it an extra pull and you should hear the ignition click

once the key is out undo the lower steering column cover and remove the cable all together and that way you should be able to remove the key anytime once it is in the off positon....most auto trans have an inhibitor switch that will prevent them from being started unless they are in neutral or park.

it is designed to stop car thieves and hijackers ripping the keys out of the ignition when at lights etc etc.

undo the gear shift surround'

you will see a cable linkage that goes from the gear shift up to the back of the ignition tumbler,

it has obviously stretch or being damaged at some stage, look and study the mechanisim see which way it has to move when being in park then give it an extra pull and you should hear the ignition click

once the key is out undo the lower steering column cover and remove the cable all together and that way you should be able to remove the key anytime once it is in the off positon....most auto trans have an inhibitor switch that will prevent them from being started unless they are in neutral or park.

it is designed to stop car thieves and hijackers ripping the keys out of the ignition when at lights etc etc.

Great response nizmonut, I was going to suggest starting the car back up and moving car and attempting to remove key again. However your response seems alot more comprehensive and educated... lol :blush:

in my old silvia i had key set to acc on so i could turn wheel when i was changeing steering wheel and when i was hitting the bastard it locked on.

I took off the trim around the key area and on the actual ignition barrel there is a lil hole with a switch inside it, i just flicked it the other way and it worked.. If all else fails PM me and ill take a pic of what im talking about

+1 for turning the steering wheel.

i was once pulled over by highway patrol where they asked me to take keys out of ignition

i was there for about 3 minutes trying to get them out when he told me to turn the wheel

very embarrassing for a fresh p plater

lol i was wondering why he hasnt replied still. i thought he might of made it to work. isnt this an interesting thread someone investigate i wanna see ifi was right =P

hey guys sorry for the slow and late reply...well it turned out i couldnt get the key out...(i didnt have enough time to remove all the surrounds and correct the cable so that is the weekend job)

basically i got home from work at midnight......(my car parked in the driveway, unlocked and with the key in it...only security was a a car semi parked across the back of it so it made it really difficult to move it out).....i know very silly and dangerous but i had to get to work.....cos i only have one key cos the dealer only gave me one when i bought the car.....

but yeah when i got home, i gave it another almighty wriggle and then it came out....i have used the car several times today and the key is still 'sticky' where it is difficult to get out however comes out after a few seconds of intense wriggling! today i got another copy done...so it isnt keyless entry but at least if it happens again i can still lock the car with the other key manually!

so yeah, dunno if the key barrel is dying....or what......otherwise the cord is the issue!