SAU Community

Any 1 Put Rb20det Head On Rb30e Bottom End?

turbohectics

G'day guys i have my Rb20det with blown rings

and a RB30e block with new rings and bearings

Can I mate them up?

I want to keep my loom and ecu can i still do that if i get a rb25na r32 head?

cheers

its A31 cefiro btw

G'day guys i have my Rb20det with blown rings

and a RB30e block with new rings and bearings

Can I mate them up?

I want to keep my loom and ecu can i still do that if i get a rb25na r32 head?

cheers

its A31 cefiro btw

No, you can't mate up the RB20DET head and RB30E block - but (I may be corrected here) I'm pretty sure you can use your loom and ECU with the RB25DE head. I assume you are using an aftermarket ECU for this?

Yes you can mate it to the RB30 block( it has been done numerous times before ) , it isnt as straight forward as an RB25 head.

It is a pointless exercise though as there arent any real gains using the small post small valve RB20 head.

The RB20/RB30 heads flow about the same.

So no point, might aswell stick with the RB30 head and valve/cam that, cheaper too when there are only 12

RB25 head is what, 30% more flow in stock form, hence why its used.

RB20/30 simply put is a waste of time and money. Everyone that has done it would never do it again.

RB20/30 simply put is a waste of time and money. Everyone that has done it would never do it again.

100% agree, we did it before RB25/26 heads were readily available at reasonable cost. The required welding and machining of the RB20 head makes it far more expensive than simply bolting on an RB25 head. There are lots of issues with running an 86 mm bore into a 78 mm diameter cylinder head.

Cheers

Gary

100% agree, we did it before RB25/26 heads were readily available at reasonable cost. The required welding and machining of the RB20 head makes it far more expensive than simply bolting on an RB25 head. There are lots of issues with running an 86 mm bore into a 78 mm diameter cylinder head.

Yeah I guess I could have said that but decided easier just to say you can't, much the same as technically you can't use a solid piece of alloy as a head :)

Yeah I guess I could have said that but decided easier just to say you can't, much the same as technically you can't use a solid piece of alloy as a head without a bit of modification :)

• 6 months later...

Cheers

Gary

that being said... if you had a rb20det head that already had the mods performed to it and you wanted a cheap project would it be worth it?!?

ive seen a stock rb20 head flow 375rwkw with the right turbo so i cant see it being too much of a restriction for say 300-330rwkw

letme know when you want to come pick it up simon haha

my car came fitted with a 30/20DET combo from japan, we've had the head side to side with a stocker and the only visable mods were machining out the water galeries to mate up to the block

stupidly responsive but never got a chance for a dyno run with it all