SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

Marlin

Wow, that is some serious fuel consumption! Oil crisis, shmoil crisis! :P

How did Aaron overcome his overheating issues in the 34? I seem to remember the removal of the undertray having something to do with it, but this is only from my shoddy memory. Does the undertray have ducting in it?

The funny thing is we briefly met Adam on the weekend and the 1st thing he asked me was about pad knock off issues. I remember Dean asking me the same thing back in 2007! Seems everyone thinks its an issue but no-one wants to try and fix it. lol

A cup of concrete probably wouldn't hurt....... whats difficult about having a couple of taps on the pedal with ya spare foot between corners? lol

Back in 2007 the issue was really bad, but since then the addition of full floating Supercar rotors and springs behind the pistons made it 100 times better :P

After the hammering we gave it in 2008 it probably just needs a set of hub bearings!

I quite liked Glenlusk and Peleverata (well liked Peleverata until we came off it!).

They were definitely good, hard, challenging stages that required alot of skill to get through clean and quick.

The main thing that worried us was not knowing how the car would handle when it hit some of the bumps - Pete hasn't even had the car on a track yet so we were learning as we went along.

From memory we bottomed out twice on Peleverata, and had a few 'oh shite' moments when the car got air and skipped across the road in some particularly nasty spots on some of the rougher stages.

Overall though I didn't think the roads were too bad- but then I also thought Cygnet would be fun and driveable ;)

It seems our biggest problem was not so much the deterioration of the road surface, but what happened when it combined with dropped oil- Pete found a nice big spot of it, with our tyre tracks running straight through. I think all of that, and the tyres meant we were gone as soon as we hit it, though Pete did a pretty good job of wiping off some speed and holding the car steady as we went down the bank. Still not quite sure how we didn't roll!

Anyway congrats to Stuart and the team for organising an awesome event - it was definitely alot of fun, very affordable and a good way to get a taste of rallying.

But now for the most important subject in the debrief- why did you blokes pike on the drinking on Sunday night :)

Actually apologies in advance if you were there- it was a BIG night for Kel, and some of the names, face and details from later in the night are a little vague :banana:

and pls pass on my congrats to Kylie, Stuart- she and Kim did a brilliant job to come in third.

That car would have definitely been a handful!

Spoke to Pete this morning btw and the in-car shows we were doing about 60kays as we went off the road and down the bank.

Made the latest edition to the race kit this morning a no brainer... a HANS was on the way but that little off-road adventure had me sold on getting one organised for Rally Tas next weekend.

I'm still thinking up a fcuk-ed joke to go with the pic :laugh:

post-935-1233974648_thumb.jpg

Good move kel, will be great to know how you go with it after a weekend of use. Its on my list of things to buy at the moment... just unfortunately at the bottom

Yeah, they are not cheap in the scheme of things, but the interesting marks on the base of my helmet where i smacked my head make me think it's more than worth it... hope there are no CAMS scruitineers reading this thread- i promise the very expensive helmet i have worn only 3 times is just FINE :(

Will let you know how I go with it after the weekend. For anyone in NSW looking at one I have to say Joseph @ Revolution Racegear did a great job explaining how it all works, spent heaps of time on the fitting, including getting me to sit in a race seat with all the gear on. And he gave me a very nice price :laugh:

There is a cheaper version out now- its about 400grams heavier than the original carbon fibre jobbie, but claims to be just as good and $500 cheaper.

Will still mean at least a $1K investment though.

How is your prep for Rally Tas going Tim?

I'm heading down Wednesday night, hopefully getting a full day of reccy in on Thursday.

Yeah, they are not cheap in the scheme of things, but the interesting marks on the base of my helmet where i smacked my head make me think it's more than worth it... hope there are no CAMS scruitineers reading this thread- i promise the very expensive helmet i have worn only 3 times is just FINE :P

Will let you know how I go with it after the weekend. For anyone in NSW looking at one I have to say Joseph @ Revolution Racegear did a great job explaining how it all works, spent heaps of time on the fitting, including getting me to sit in a race seat with all the gear on. And he gave me a very nice price :thumbsup:

There is a cheaper version out now- its about 400grams heavier than the original carbon fibre jobbie, but claims to be just as good and $500 cheaper.

Will still mean at least a $1K investment though.

How is your prep for Rally Tas going Tim?

I'm heading down Wednesday night, hopefully getting a full day of reccy in on Thursday.

I might wait and see what theses Tarmac mag sponsorship discounts are like and if i have any money left after all the bills for targa maybe i will. need a sponsor badly!!!

Rally Tas wise... hmm ive looked at the course on paper and google earth and thats about it. Heading down Tuesday night for a couple days recce. if it doesn't rain and its not 37 degrees like it was in 07 ill be happy.

No doubt ill see you at the welcome party thurs night.

You're one up on me Tim, I have printed the stuff out though :D

Does anyone here use a povo GPS on competitive stages - I mean your navmans etc, not the tricky in-dash setups like the Whites run.

Quite a few people at Wrestpoint were talking about it being a good sense check for things like tricky turns at the end of fast straights, calls over or after high speed crests etc.

i noticed a few people using navmans and tomtoms at tt last year.

i guess they might be a good idea... if you're nav has a habit of falling off... can't help but think of it as a distraction i could do without sitting on the scary side (not that I'll be doing that again anytime soon)!

today was the first day in months i spend tinkering with the rx7, its getting there and might even start by the end of the month!

other than that its early evo central

post-5400-1234079274_thumb.jpg

Im thinking about one (a tomtom) for transport stages, but i don't even use a terratrip in stage unless its to report a car off but even then id have to resort to the notes for actual position as every terratrip ive used in stage has always been inaccurate by a massive margin.

Im a bit worried about Rally Tas as Hurf that im running with doesn't even have a terratrip! and i haven't been able to organise something in the short term.