SAU Community

P-plate Laws and Recent crash

Sonic speed

Hey everyone

Yea i heard about the crash this morning.

Ashleigh Purser( the girl that died) was one of the best mates yea its sad but

the P plater laws will help but not as much as they think it will

People just drive crazy and want to show off

Turbos cars may not be the cause

I am buying a turbo car in the next couple of weeks and i havent got my Ps

If im not allowed to drive it then i will just go buy a civic and spend money on it and

that can put out power aswell maybe more that a commordore

I think the rule will help some people but not others.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would definately vote no. No matter what happens there will always be some people who will continue to do the wrong thing. A new law won't change these people.

We'll just start seeing smaller cars in trees on the news instead.

RIP to the 16 year old girl, sad that she didnt live for that long

i got off my Ps like 5 months ago and there is a lot of P plate that actually drive sensible, just those big headed, thing that they are all that, mum and dad bought my car P platers give all the good p platers a bad name.

future people that are going to get their license soon should really understand the responibilty of driving a car, especialy high powered, as for the power law i think it will just make it worse as they will still do it, and they will think its more cool to break that rule (you know this generation teens, they dont like being restricted)

parents should really teach their kids, they are just too soft these days

we def need restrictions on P platers... ffs, who in their right mind would allow a new driver to get behind the wheel of anything powerful or worked is just beyond me... RIP to the passenger :glare:

Parents these days just have no friggen idea... or don't care? I just don't get it.

Driver knowledge & training.

Learn to drive AND spend your P's in an appropriate car. I learnt to drive in a Mondeo and spent most of my P's driving a Datsun Stanza.

Getting your license and getting straight into one of the cars I mentioned above is ludicrous.

Here's an example, one of my best mates had to pull over and render first aid to some L plater and her dad on Tonkin Hwy after she rolled his work ute (purely due to inexperience, car in front tapped brakes, she grabbed lots of anchors & swerved out of control, clipped a kerb and flipped into a culvert). Totally inappropriate vehicle to be learning to drive in. Dad is in hospital with suspected broken neck and shoulder.

Driver knowledge & training.

And "ATTITUDE".

Bans on performance cars or setting a low power to weight ratio for P platers won't save lives.

Realistically a P/W will need to be at V6 commonwhore numbers (or similar) or the motor trades will scream the joint down. You can get into plenty of trouble in a commodore, falcon, camry or even old gemini if you want to.

On a per capita basis the deaths by vehicle are not getting worse. There are more in actual number because there are a lot more people out there and the media (and police) will high profile it for the easy wins/publicity instead of tackling the real issues behind it all.

These things are always tragic and I hope it never happens to people I know and I wished didn't hapen at all.

If your behind the wheel just think about the consequences before you act.

LOL

There is no harm watsever in bringing in these new laws.

So what if p platers get stuck on 4 bangers/non turbo cars.

If it doesnt make a difference, then nothing is lost

If it does, then its great! less people dieing is always good.

I've driven my mum's car (1.6L Protege) at over 40km/h over the limit without even noticing. Then I'll drive my car (2.5L Non-turbo R33) at just over the limit, but I've driven a few turbo cars, and I keep it at the limit. Not sure how it works, but the more powerful the car, the slower you drive. If that makes sense?

Spot on with that dude, funny how that works... i hardly ever thrash the skyline... the other cars i have had, like el cheapo bunky's get hammered... i think its the lack of respect for lower priced vehichles... i dunno!!

does all these rules just apply to p platers ?? off my p's soon cant wait i swear p plate stands for "Pick on me"

Have you ever asked a coppa why he pulled you over?... try it and see what they say, if they are honest, you will find your answer is almost exactly that!

yeah and they are the one that are suppose to be training the little barstards to drive.

I tell you what, If I was going to teach my kids to drive i'd get them to do basic driving school, then defensive driving, then advanced driving drill it into there heads that if they f**k up and crash they will die. bang dead... even if they survive, I'll kill em... lol :glare:

Interesting... i come from an well below comfortable family... poor if you like... and alot of people i know have had to tgeach themselves to drive, or get help from older friends... getting your parents to help sometimes isnt that easy... my parents never had a car, and if i asked them to teach me, it was either not enough time or "no you might crash it"... Half of my friends parents have a car or two, yet still they wont teach their kids to drive... makes it just that little harder for ppl like me ya know... i guess what im sayin is, not all parents are willing to spend that valuable time teaching there kids simply because they either dont have the time or are not willing to have there car OWNED!!

yeah, im sick and tired of getting "revved" up by p platers etc. i had a kid in a vs commie come up next to me whilst im doing 75km's in a 80 zone and "kick" back his auto and ring the freakin neck off the v6 and take off past me. i then thought to myself......for what? -too pick up some cred from a guy who he is never going to see again? the +'s and -'s dont add up. do the speed limit and casually cruise up next to the guy/girl and give thumbs up if ya want. makes everyones day better. keeps the grannies from cursing at ya and keeps the police from pulling out the vaso

Its a skyline thing, well more a nissan thing.. some ppl hate japa cars and this is what happens.. look at cruises for instance.. 30 imports, terry toughnuts drives into the car park, see's all the imports and has just got to do a burnout... honestly i dont get it, i dont like commo's and aussie built cars much, but if it looks hot or sounds hot, my thumb is up at em!

RIP to the 16 year old girl, sad that she didnt live for that long

i got off my Ps like 5 months ago and there is a lot of P plate that actually drive sensible, just those big headed, thing that they are all that, mum and dad bought my car P platers give all the good p platers a bad name.

future people that are going to get their license soon should really understand the responibilty of driving a car, especialy high powered, as for the power law i think it will just make it worse as they will still do it, and they will think its more cool to break that rule (you know this generation teens, they dont like being restricted)

parents should really teach their kids, they are just too soft these days

i was at an accident with one of my friends a while ago, it was his mate i was just there to help... anyways, daddy bought him a 2001 wrx.. he thought it would be a good idea to race some focker up a hill and over a crest in suburban streets of wanneroo... came over the crest, got airborne, spun out and slammed into an awaiting tree... by the time i got there, the coppers where there, he told them he was only doing 70kmh yet the marks on the road were at least 50 meters... daddy turns up and says, its ok, ill get you another one... i couldnt believe it, i was so pissed off... so yeah, i understand what you mean about daddy and mommy buying the car... i say earn your damn car...

Just my ten cents...lol

Personally, I think P platers should ONLY be allowed to drive 4cyl N/A's with less than 100kW. All these 6cyl family cars are just as dangerous as the imports or fat v8s.

I think thats a bit much, I think the common 2.4 & 3.0L Camrys are ok for a 1st car, if the driver is a d*ck then even a <100kw 4cyl car is dangerous, example I can think of is this guy I know, he drives a sh*t xcel & doing over 130km/h on the 80km freeway... moron.

The other thing, if say these laws like come into affect sometime in the near future, would it only affect the ppl getting their Ps after that time or would it affect people b4 it?

Theres no way in hell, I'm selling my turbo 33 & downgrading to a crapo hatchback (man I hate hatchbacks...).

Cars don't kill people - people do!

Its all about attitude and respect and understanding of the consequences of your actions.

Have a look at how people behave towards each other, how its all about me, my rights, my rules ... but these types of people don't worry about their impact on others or what the consequences for "my" actions might actually be.

This trait is not just in the young - have a look at the road rage, bashings, what are you lookin at attitude and you see a pattern.

Imposing rediculous restrictions on P platers won't achieve anything, the idiots will still be idiots until they grow up and realise they are a part of society and have a real impact on everyone around them. Sad thing is some will never grow up and then they teach the same behaviours to their kids and so on.

Yup I own a fast car (and have owned a number of them), yup I have driven very fast (in controlled environments) and yup I have been stupid on the road and lived to tell the tale. Thankfully to come away a little wiser and unlikely to be so stupid again.

Bubba as for the 100kw NA 4 cylinder argument when was the last time you punted a westfield or such around. 100 kw can go damn fast if you put it in the right chassis. Think about the 250cc Motorbike limit for new licence holders - ever pushed a performace 2 stroke 250 hard. Its not the answer, bandaid maybe but not the answer. :glare:

Doesn't matter what car you drive you can loose control of it and/or crash. I've even spun my n13 pulsar out on a round about be being stupid and there was nothing stopping me from doing 180kmh on the freeway and crashing (except a brain :glare: ). Sure the turbo can kick in and get your back wheels going but back to the pulsar If i was in the wet doing 80kmh I used to be able to slam it in second and get the front wheels going, easy to loose control and crash...

Also, last night I saw 2 accidents last night within 15kms and 20minutes of each other, Police fire ambulance and tow truck attending each one. non of them were p platers or in high powered car...

The bottom line is shit happens you just gotta be prepared for it.

Edited by -Dukes-

Parents these days just have no friggen idea... or don't care? I just don't get it.

Parents these days are just too loose with their kids. They let them roam the streets at night, buy them alcohol for parties etc. When they get busted by the cops, the parents don't believe that their kid could have done it and blame the cops for their heavy tactics.

Back when I was in year 8 or 9 I got caught doing graffiti up the road from my house. Some people took down my details, and when I went back home my folks found out and made me go clean it up. After cleaning it up with turps, I returned home and my dad held out two big f*ck off encyclopedias and goes 'Hold them out one in each hand for an hour, if you drop it you start all over again'. Well after that experience I never touched a spray can again!!

When I went to buy my first car, I had $5000 to spend. I had eyed off EB Falcons etc but before you know it my folks took the money off me and one day I rocked up home to find a 1986 Ford Meteor. It had a bung boot lit, but besides that had a very good interior and ran well. When I look back, I think what my folks did probably saved me from killing myself in a rwd 6cyl car. Sure I drove my Meteor hard, but there was only so much the car could do (top speed ~130-140). I would put it that the car had less capabilities than the driver, rather than the opposite way of the car having more capabilities than the driver can handle.

Education in the schools & the way kids are brought up at home by their folks imo is the ONLY key to getting through to young people about the dangers of driving. I got neighbour up the road who is 18-19, I've known him since he was like in year 1. He use to come up to my house when I had my killer audio system in the Meteor, Volvo and Pulsar and kept saying he wanted to own a Supra or WRX one day. However today he drives a Corrolla, and not because he doesn't want to drive the Corrolla but because he wants to! (he can afford Supra etc as he's in the army) He has never taken drugs, and when he drinks he never gets drunk and the reason why I believe he does all of this is because of the way he was brought up and the values shown to him. I'm sure if I gave him the keys to my Skyline, he probably wouldn't even take it past 4k.

Plus if I had a daugher going out with an older guy (like in this case with the 16y/o and 18y/o bf), I wouldn't even let her step foot in that car with him.

who in their right mind would allow a new driver to get behind the wheel of anything powerful or worked is just beyond me

It's called cheap cars and folks that have no control on their kids. Back when I started driving, 5-6k would get you a 1990 Nissan Pulsar and 12k+ were the Silvias etc. Today 6k will get you a CA18DET 180 or similar. Kids are doing jobs at McDonalds, and when they come to buying their first car they already have enough coin to buy a car like that or better. Even WRXs are dirt cheap, can be picked up for 12-15k now.

Edited by MattyP

I don't think parents need to teach thier kids to drive, I was more meaning that they should have more say and control on what car their kids purchase.

I drove around in the worlds most ugliest mazda...sure I thrashed the shit out of it, but the difference in me putting my foot down in that bucket of bolts and putting my foot down in the stagea are huge... doesn't take long to reach 120 in the stag, where I don't remember going that fast in the mazda...

small cars without mods will save lives.

ETA: mattyP I think we are on the same wave length :glare:

Edited by StageaGirl

A kid owning a Civic or Lancer (like mid late 90s), or even a new Hyundai as a first car has done well imo.

Don't mind them especially if they're female and hot behind the wheel :glare: Something good to look at when I pass them.

This had me really confused last night. They showed a pic and it was obviously a 180sx then they mentioned a Nissan Sedan. I firgued at the time there must have been 2 cars or something.

Just watched another news story on it where it has become a "high powered sports car" still being mentioned as a sedan.

RIP to all the car accident kills this weekend.

In the US, they make everyone do a thorough driver training course in the process of getting your car license, which is what they should have here really.

Not that it stops the people on the roads over there driving like crazies anyway...

When I went to buy my first car, I had $5000 to spend. I had eyed off EB Falcons etc but before you know it my folks took the money off me and one day I rocked up home to find a 1986 Ford Meteor. It had a bung boot lit, but besides that had a very good interior and ran well. When I look back, I think what my folks did probably saved me from killing myself in a rwd 6cyl car. Sure I drove my Meteor hard, but there was only so much the car could do (top speed ~130-140). I would put it that the car had less capabilities than the driver, rather than the opposite way of the car having more capabilities than the driver can handle.

RIP 16 year girl

My mum give me $3000 i ended up saving $3000 up working like a dog 4 it walking home 1am or 2am in the morning from freo to spearwood on week ends end of year 12 my mum said u can buy a car now so got a 180sx ca18 det i did little work to it but it was a fast car 4 me i did lots of showing off it i end up selling it to buy a r32 hot as i got some work done on it it ended up with 300hp i started to drive like my mum lol but now i drive a r33 with 400hp now i drive slower then my mum sad but tru