SAU Community

Track Day Aftermath

My first track day was on Saturday at Sandown and I'm happy to report I had an absolute blast! Props to Driver Dynamics, good instructors, Subway lunch and plenty of track time.

My impressions of the V35:

- The Brembo brakes are amazing... I went all day without issue whilst watching BMWs, Soarers, Astons etc smoking.

- The car is pretty quick but not THAT quick... an MKV Golf GTI was able to keep up with me on the straights, S2000 was faster, but I was on par with a supercharged V8 Soarer! Blown away by a CLK500.

- The stability control kicks in pretty early but is a definite lifesaver

Vehicle aftermath:

- A few stone chips on the front bar :thumbsup:

- The 6MT gearbox feels a tad looser (a good thing I think)

- Developed a squeaking noise from the rear end when reversing and at low speed over bumps - any ideas?

- Clutch and brakes are a tad lower but haven't quantified as yet

I haven't had a chance to do a full engine inspection report because I haven't had a moment to think since. I will do so shortly and update.

Sounds great! Good to see you enjoyed it.

Gotta agree with your comments on the Brembo's and also aboout it being "not that quick"

Aftermarket suspension does wonders for the cars handling. It's a massive difference. I found on the track, through the corners my car was punching well above it's weight, however down the straight you would loose any time you made up.

The problem for me was there was no easy fix to this. It would involve pretty big dollars whether you go forced or try and get more from an NA setup.

But as said, the main part is you had fun.

No idea about the noise though, I've 2 diff V35's on tracks and no probe with either.

Cheers

Bobby

The car is pretty quick but not THAT quick... an MKV Golf GTI was able to keep up with me on the straights, S2000 was faster, but I was on par with a supercharged V8 Soarer!

That last bit is the point. On a track, outright power isn't necessarily going to determine the winner. Your corner exit speed is more important, unless your power/weight is significantly better.

For example I've had Dumhedz, in his 120rwkW 1 ton S13 outrun me in the straights against my 180rwkW/1.5 ton Z33. Our power/weight is the same, I have an extra gear and more midrange torque, but since he's a better driver he comes through and out of the corner faster so he gets away from me.

If you were to do a rolling start from the same speed chances are the results would be different, especially with that supercharged V8 Snoarer.

The car is quick by NA standards, but you need to do it by coming out of the corners fast rather than straightening up the car and mashing the throttle. The PM platform cars have lots of rear-end grip thanks to the suspension, so the key is to set the car up to pick up the throttle as early and as hard as possible. You can pretty much go full throttle on most corners from the apex.

As Bobby said, suspension will probably be a good bet. Getting the kind of power your average modified turbo driver is used to is going to cost big dollars, but improving your corner entry and mid corner speed will shave off more time again. Still, you should see a reasonable power hike if you do the standard bolt-ons. I went from 155rwkW to 195rwkW with a full exhaust, intake and ECU.

Still, you should see a reasonable power hike if you do the standard bolt-ons. I went from 155rwkW to 195rwkW with a full exhaust, intake and ECU.

hey scathing, wat ECU are you using? is it a retuned factory ECU or an aftermarket one?

I'm a bit surprised that a GTI and S2000 if faster than our V35... I came off a s2000 to V35, s2000 isnt a easy car to drive, it has no lower rev range power/torque at all. The torque that the V35 produces should make up for the weight difference...

hey scathing, wat ECU are you using? is it a retuned factory ECU or an aftermarket one?

Technically, both. I've had the OEM ECU reflashed to give a 7200RPM cutout, and I've got a Unichip to adjust the A/F and timing. With my bolt-ons the power curve is straight all the way to 7000RPM.

I'm a bit surprised that a GTI and S2000 if faster than our V35... I came off a s2000 to V35, s2000 isnt a easy car to drive, it has no lower rev range power/torque at all. The torque that the V35 produces should make up for the weight difference...

The torque kind of makes up for the weight difference accelerating on the straight, as would the V35's superior aerodynamics, but it won't make up for the weight difference when you turn-in and go through the corner. Even with Brembos, you still feel the inertia trying to slow the car. My g/f's stock MX-5 brakes as well as my 350Z with Brembos, rotors, pads, fluid and braided lines.

The current Golf GTi is a pretty quick car, especially if its got a DSG. No fluffed changes, no compression locking going though the gears under brakes, being able to left foot brake while still easily changing gears, the ability to upchange mid corner without unsettling the car, and all that midrange punch from the turbo. I'm pretty sure its a touch lighter than a V35, and has a shorter wheelbase. It'll be set up to handle well too.

I've never driven an S2K but I know it is a lot lighter and shorter, and the suspension is set up for hard cornering. I know the early ones had suspension setup issues where the tail would let go suddenly, but that was rectified in later models as well as with aftermarket components. On the track, the F20C's lack of low end doesn't matter as much since you'll always have the engine on the boil thanks to the close ratios and your intent on driving the car hard.

For both cars, the possibility of a higher corner exit speed could explain why the cars look faster as they run down the straights. Its also possible that they're modified or on semi slicks, since Max didn't really say. ECU reflashes on VAG engines tend to make good power without any hardware changes, so that Golf could be making 30% more power and be indistinguishable from stock.

Technically, both. I've had the OEM ECU reflashed to give a 7200RPM cutout, and I've got a Unichip to adjust the A/F and timing. With my bolt-ons the power curve is straight all the way to 7000RPM.

The torque kind of makes up for the weight difference accelerating on the straight, as would the V35's superior aerodynamics, but it won't make up for the weight difference when you turn-in and go through the corner. Even with Brembos, you still feel the inertia trying to slow the car. My g/f's stock MX-5 brakes as well as my 350Z with Brembos, rotors, pads, fluid and braided lines.

The current Golf GTi is a pretty quick car, especially if its got a DSG. No fluffed changes, no compression locking going though the gears under brakes, being able to left foot brake while still easily changing gears, the ability to upchange mid corner without unsettling the car, and all that midrange punch from the turbo. I'm pretty sure its a touch lighter than a V35, and has a shorter wheelbase. It'll be set up to handle well too.

I've never driven an S2K but I know it is a lot lighter and shorter, and the suspension is set up for hard cornering. I know the early ones had suspension setup issues where the tail would let go suddenly, but that was rectified in later models as well as with aftermarket components. On the track, the F20C's lack of low end doesn't matter as much since you'll always have the engine on the boil thanks to the close ratios and your intent on driving the car hard.

For both cars, the possibility of a higher corner exit speed could explain why the cars look faster as they run down the straights. Its also possible that they're modified or on semi slicks, since Max didn't really say. ECU reflashes on VAG engines tend to make good power without any hardware changes, so that Golf could be making 30% more power and be indistinguishable from stock.

Thanks for the detailed explanation :thumbsup: . I dont know too much about the GTIs, but i know that s2000 is only quick if u can constantly keep it in vtec, which is @ 6000rpm, can be difficult to do when u going in and out of corners, unless of course the drive has a vtec controller and lowered the rev range...

nice work max, glad to hear it survived and went well

just on the suspension issue, i just had my swaybars installed (i purchased some Selby sways form SydneyKid @ Superior Suspension) and they have made a HUGE difference to how the car handles. extremely highly recommended..

Add one more for the sways. The difference is unbelievable.

If anyone wants a set I think i can get a hold of some second hand NISMO sways for a decent price.

Thanks Alan,

That was the set I was referring to. :-)

Forgot that he was also selling his HKS set.

Mxfly is a great guy to deal with folks, he got my wheels for me, and when they arrived without tyres from Japan he gave me a set of his. (Yep the Michelin pilot PS2's I'm always bragging about)

Thanks Alan,

That was the set I was referring to. :-)

Forgot that he was also selling his HKS set.

Mxfly is a great guy to deal with folks, he got my wheels for me, and when they arrived without tyres from Japan he gave me a set of his. (Yep the Michelin pilot PS2's I'm always bragging about)

Hi Bobby,

It seems that all his item is for 350Z, do you think they are OK with V35? I meas the swaybars?

Thanks

Frank

Pretty much all the suspension / braking components are shared between the Z33 and V35.

You could fit a lot of the mechanical stuff on that list that isn't obviously different to the naked eye(like the exterior stuff and trim, and the catback exhausts since the V35 is longer). The drivetrain products, the alignment products, etc are all common between the two cars.

does anyone know what causes this?

I now have the same issue when reversing at low speed..

Had similar issues with the Stagea, which turned out to be suspension bushes needing to be greased. All my bushes are aftermarket: SK's Whiteline ones, if that helps... I had no noticible difference in handling, just annoying squeaks/noises from the front and rear at low speed corners and speed bumps....