SAU Community

R32 Diff Question

My diff whines like hell and am considering just replacing the whole housing with a 2nd hand one. My question is this, my car has ABS and from what I understand it has an ABS sensor in it. Can this sensor be transferred across into a non ABS housing. I had a look on fast and there appears to be an illustration showing the sensor. Just not sure if the ABS section can be fitted into a non-abs diff housing. Included the fast image. Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers

LSD.jpg

First off, do you have oil in the diff? Do you have enough oil in the diff? Do you have new oil in the diff?

Pretty sure the ABS sensors are on the output shafts of the diff. So all you need to do is transfer those from your current diff to the replacement diff.

First off, do you have oil in the diff? Do you have enough oil in the diff? Do you have new oil in the diff?

Pretty sure the ABS sensors are on the output shafts of the diff. So all you need to do is transfer those from your current diff to the replacement diff.

yes, diff oil has been replaced and is filled to the correct level. it only whines on deceleration, from what i've read its the meshing of the gears that have "play" due to wear and this is what whines... anyone else???

Yes that is where the ABS sensors are, my Nismo diff came with new output shafts/flanges and they had the ABS sensors on them (my car doesn't have ABS).

Just thought I'd upload some pics of where the ABS sensor is located, for reference sake. Its on the tailshaft input and not on the driveshaft outputs. The sensor bolts into the actual housing so unless the non-abs diff has the hole blocked off I dont think its as easy as just swapping the sensor over. Thanks to the people who responded anyways. pics:

ABSSemsor1.jpg

ABSSensor.jpg

Yeah, its not as easy as just swapping over sensors. I havent had first hand experience with it, but a mate has had problems with this before.

Cant you just swap over the internals??

Shaun.

I think it would be possible to swap the internals over. But I dont really have time to be doing it right now.If I have to swap stuff over I may as well do what 'White GTS-T' said and buy a two way