SAU Community

First Time Buyer

Stone Cold

Hi everyone,

I am located in Melbourne right now and I want to buy a used Skyline for myself. The problem is I dont have any idea about how to do that so I am seeking help. Can you pleaseeeeeeeeee tell me whether to buy it from a dealer or private seller? And can you also please suggest me some trustworthy dealers (I knw it will be very rare) in Victoria?

Any help is greatly appreciated as I am like a child going to school for the 1st time. No knowledge abt the skylines. I just love thier looks.

Cheers :/

Some general advice when you find one you like do a revs check and pay for an NRMA inspection, even better if you have a friend/family member who is a mechanic take them along.

Some general advice when you find one you like do a revs check and pay for an NRMA inspection, even better if you have a friend/family member who is a mechanic take them along.

Thanks for the advice bro but unfortunately I dont have any family members over here and the fnds I knw r no good then me in their knowledge of cars........ I have seen some cars from Power Rd Car Sales in dandenong. Any idea abt them? r they a good dealer?

Whatever you do, get the RACV to check it.

You should also get the vin and engine numbers, call up vicroads and double check that its all legit, not stolen or anything.

If you get a good skyline, you won't regret it :rofl:

Whatever you do, get the RACV to check it.

You should also get the vin and engine numbers, call up vicroads and double check that its all legit, not stolen or anything.

If you get a good skyline, you won't regret it :rofl:

I definitely will get it RACV checked.

japcars in fawkner. they are really good for r32-r34. they pick out and source genuine low km, lightly moded and clean skylines. i know this as i was constantly there checking up on their stock aswell as my own 32 coming from there. paint from skylines that they had were almost immac.

they will have the catback, exhaust pod filter, full stock bodykits and turbo timers on most of their cars otherwise some clean ones have gone through there. they will usually sell a 92-93 r32 for around 10,500-12,500 r33 series II for around 12000-15000 and r34 ahven't really taken noticed seriously check them out. SSV have some good cars too but abit pricey.

but it all depends on what u want. r32? r33? r34? v35? if you want mods aswell.

u will find a bargain sometimes in private sales but be careful as i have experienced a bargain but at a huge cost in the following months. though you will usually get a good buy if the guy has looked after it obviously. if you want to mod the car u might aswell find one that has the mods you want as it wil lsave u a shiet load of cash.

be weary of

tyres especially rears as the guy most likely has already dropped more than a skid

bad camber

interior like steering wheel, gear boot and hand brake boots

check brakes especially rears

check paint carefully as might have been in a bingle and sprayed

any leaks especially power steering

if under or around 100000km check if the 100000km service has been done (belts, timing components, oils, spark plugs, radiator fluid)

happy shopping

Thank u very very veru much dude. u r like GOD 2 me at this moment. I will definitely be aware of the things 2 have told me. i m looking 2 spend something around $10k to $20k on the car and i m nt 2 fussy abt the mods on it. I want nice alloy wheels on the car 4 sure n want a decent interior. sry 2 trouble u again bt i m nt sure on hw 2 check the things u told me. i mean, i can look at the paint n interior faults n probably the oil leaks bt hw do i knw the brakes r good? does they make ne sound when nt maintained properly? regardless of the other things, u have definitely helped a lot. i really appreciate it v much n ll check out the dealer u have suggested during the weekend. :rofl:

Yer man go to japcars in fawkner, i brought my car off them and they are really supportive and they take care of ya. They do a good job and are great price. I picked up my r33 gtst stock with light mods 120k kms series 1.5 forged pistons in there etc. And well worth it car is great... Took it on cruise on weekend and was good as but also get it racv checked also because there may be something in any car dealer that cannot be seen until its had a full check

they do all the checks needed with the racv check they check the brakes to the alignment of the wheels, they check the whole car and give you a overall result of the test whether it is roadworthy safe etc

ey man if u got $10k-$20k on spending a skyline you might aswell get the best you can buy.

a r32 skyline is a car that you have to be prepared to look after as they are getting old. i've had a few things go wrong with my 32. suspension is 90% always shot unless it was hardly driven or has been replaced. power steering leaks are pretty notorious with 32's and the 4ws (hicas) system makes it worse when its failed. Not trying to discourage you from buying one and i love my r32 but the reality is that they are getting old.

for the price you want to pay go the series II r33 or a nice r34 gtt. if ur a new p plater don't get any of them at all lol as you won't be allowed to drive the turbo models.

but another thing to look at is the fact that a r32 makes 160kw, r33 makes 187kw? and a r34 gtt has 206kw. be sure to be ready when you put the power down that you are confident enough to handle it because i've heard of so many people stuffing around in 33's-34's and slamming into a pole.

www.southernspecialvehicles.com.au good dealer.

Dont bother with RACV, they charge $200+ to tell you a headlight globe isnt working.

Better off taking the car to a import mechanic to get a pre-inspection test.

Will cost between $100 - $150 for an inspection. Remember to ask for compression and leakdown test (to check if engine is healthy)

www.recustoms.com.au is good place for pre-inspection

Power Road car sales are very good. My brother just picked up an R34 from there. After he put a deposit down they had it booked in for rego the next day ready for pick up. They are very honest down there and don't import garbage. My current R33 also came from power road car sales and both cars are running strong.

Guess everyone knows this but stay away from SEI motors...