SAU Community

Need Some Cat6 Cable

ziad

i am planing on wiring up my house so need some cat6 cable. i can get some off ebay but the rolls are 300m which is too much, plus postage would be a killer, got many rolls of cat 5e cable at work but not good enough for gigabyte network. hence if someone works in IT and has a half full box of cat6 cable then let me know. might be able to work some cash etc your way.

if your going to do and insist on gigabit at home, i see no need for it, but if you do

get a real gigabit switch, not a junker $100 layer 2 switch

the cheapest real gigabit switch i can find from cisco is the 3508

its an 8 port GBIC switch so you need to buy base T copper gbics for it as well

you can buy them in 4 packs form ebay as well

NEW 4-Pack WS-G5483 1000Base-T GBIC Module 1-Yr WARRNTY

so get 2 packs of those and your set

the 3508 will do true gigabit switching, jumbo frames, vlans, management, snmp

and a stack of other cool tricks, ether channel, spanning tree

also if you find its noisey, you can replace the fans with 5v fans instead of 12v fans (i did this to mine)

gbics for it

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-4-Pack-WS-G5483...VQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Cisco-WS-C3508G-XL-...1QQcmdZViewItem

failing that check out some dell gigabit switches they usually go cheap as no one wants them

and should be fine for home

the 3508 will do true gigabit switching, jumbo frames, vlans, management, snmp

and a stack of other cool tricks, ether channel, spanning tree

Getting a bit carried away there aren't you Paul.

It's only for a home install. :(

Edited by Mean_R34

hmm thanks guys, unfortunately dont have net and the current place so didint post a reply.

it is for home use, basically i would prefer to use cat6 cable as its slightly better,, the keystones etc will most probably be 5e (yeah that defeats the purpose but it is easier to replace the connectors then the cables, also a work mate prefers cat6 cables, as i said we got about 6 half used boxes of cat5e sitting and no one is going to use them).

actually i was looking at a few gig switches on ebay one of the cisco one went for 171 and another went for 31 (and i wasnt happy about that one :huh: ). the other is that i am thinking of having a box with hard drives (something like nas) and was most probably going to get a switch which can agregate link (so 2gb if needed for the nas box)

i have found someone who has an account with middendorp so will most probably go via him to get some cable and connectors etc.

thanks for the help.

go nuts most of the catalyst switches will do etherchannel

but keep in mind most of the nas boxes wont support etherchannel

not to mention actually sustain more than 1GBPS of throughout

the only nas box that will sustain over 1GBPS and do etherchannel

is going to be a true scsi or SAS based array and it would be a $5k box easy

all of the cheap NAS boxes which take 1,2,3 or 4 sata drives usually run an embedded linux os

so its software raid instead of a ram chip backed raid setup so the performance is pretty ordinary

it would be unreasonable to expect near gigabit performance from a setup like that

they come with gigabit mainly cos its probably cheaper than 100mb chipset

my dlink 323 has a gigabit port and the most it can sustain is about 80mbps

after that its starts to max its cpu when running smbd

it might be a touch faster with NFS but its main bottleneck is CPU

its only a little embedded ARM cpu at 300mhz so its not geared up for it

yep

anyway this is one of the switches i was thinking about, just waiting on it to go for cheaper cuz i can get a linksys (new) for 400 delevered.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...em=300252392409

the box that i am considering at the moment for nas is a hp storage works dl100 server. it has hardware raid with SATA drives, quite good price

yeah the dell switch is fine, they are always chepa

check that it does jumbo frames and check the server or nas you are buyting does jumbo

otherwise you may as well stick with normal 100mbps

is the hp server big and loud?

i was goign to get an old dell powervault or poweredge nas server

but its a big clunky box thats loud and blows lots of hot air

not suitable fora small study in a house :huh:

re the noise that is a good question, i am waiting on reply from the guy about it, it is a 1U server. anyway it will most probably live in my store room so as long as it is not like the last HP server that i had which sounded like a jet taking off it should be fine.