SAU Community

I Am Interested In Buying A R32 Gtr

tomk

hi guys and girls? (dunno how many chicks on here into skylines nah heh),

I am looking into buying a skyline r32 gtr (the only skyline that really gets my rocks rolling and clapping)

I currently own a 180-sx (First owner since imported) sr20det and im used to it now and I want a super car thats all about power and grip and the gtr looks about right.

i was quoted around about $3,300 odd dollars for comp insurance for a gtr purchased for around 18k. Was wondering what they are like service cost wise? fuel wise? ie consumption, bare in mind I dont thrash cars and would be happy if it made 450-500?

Just wondering what general costs would be like and how hard they are to work on yourself?

Any info at all about them would be greatly appreciated..

Are they reliable?

Cheers guys

much love

Tom :)

I probably wouldnt use it as a daily, but saying that i did use it as a daily when i owned one i didnt have any major problems with my one of my top 3 cars that i enjoyed owning drives awsome, awsome power great handling characterics. But if i was you i would save a couple more grand and get a R33, newier etc....

I probably wouldnt use it as a daily, but saying that i did use it as a daily when i owned one i didnt have any major problems with my one of my top 3 cars that i enjoyed owning drives awsome, awsome power great handling characterics. But if i was you i would save a couple more grand and get a R33, newier etc....

r33s shell wise and age wise dont do it for me..... 32s are sooo much hotter.... apart from the whole 'newer' thing is their much difference?

stick with your instincts, go with a 32 if, you can afford to get a good, low Km, original example. my reasoning is, if one can't afford a 'good' GTR,... then one definately can't afford a POS GTR. repairs on a POS will severely damage the bank balance and will eventually cost more!. aaahhh, but the iconic, legendary, Godzilla, there is no better ride!!.

they are not cheap to keep on the road and the RB26 is one of those engines that is continually begging you to wind it up, so... the fuel consumption will depend on your willpower!!!.

good luck with your seach.

18k will be hard for you to find a good gtr that wont cost you money in fixing things... for a good nick 32 youre looking at about 21/22k mate... dont rush it and youll be REALLY satisfied when you find a good one! good luck.

hi guys and girls? (dunno how many chicks on here into skylines nah heh),

I am looking into buying a skyline r32 gtr (the only skyline that really gets my rocks rolling and clapping)

I currently own a 180-sx (First owner since imported) sr20det and im used to it now and I want a super car thats all about power and grip and the gtr looks about right.

i was quoted around about $3,300 odd dollars for comp insurance for a gtr purchased for around 18k. Was wondering what they are like service cost wise? fuel wise? ie consumption, bare in mind I dont thrash cars and would be happy if it made 450-500?

Just wondering what general costs would be like and how hard they are to work on yourself?

Any info at all about them would be greatly appreciated..

Are they reliable?

Cheers guys

much love

Tom :)

Hey Tom, I was in a similar situation as you 3 month ago. I also owned a 180sx previously, then the rego was about to expire, so I got rid of it and got myself a 32GTR. I've looked at at least 5 GTRs and spoke to a number of dealers, sellers before I settled on my current car from a dealer (about 20k near stock, and currently used as a daily). My advice is that you should look for something locally, instead of importing them. For the price range you are looking at, you'll need to look real hard to be able to find anything decent. If you get it locally, you can at least check out the car yourself and hire a 3rd party to have the car inspected so you'll at least have some good idea of what you are actually getting, also you won't have to wait several month for the car to land and complied. I reckon you should budget 25k for a local car, including the insurance, you should be able to find somthing decent.

Performance wise, you'll notice straight away how much more torque the RB26 has compared to a 4 banger and it is also a lot smoother to rev. My 180 had 200kw atw, upgraded turbo and tuned...etc etc, so it actually goes a little bit harder than my rather stock GTR (only exhaust done) above 4000rpm. Handling wise, the GTR is able to put the power down better and it is also grippier at the corner if you take it fast. One of the other big plus for the 32GTR is that they look fantastic as is, you don't need to add rice spoilers or change the front bar...etc to make them look good. They are also a lot more practicle getting around the dodgy sydney roads. If you don't lower your car to ridiculous height, the GTR is able to get over pretty much all the high speed bumps and steep driveways...etc

For servicing, you SHOULD know or if not, learn how to do most of the minor work youself. i.e. change oil, oil filter, tranny oil, fuel filter, spark plugs, clean afm. It is slightly more crammed in the engine bay for the GTR, but it is not impossible. Change your oil and plugs (copper) every 5000k.

You won't get 450km a tank from the GTR, unless you drive highway all the time. If you are like me, travelling to and from work and out and about with mixed highway and suburban/city driving (30/70), you should be looking at around 350km - 400km for a rather stock GTR. If you have powerfc and tuned correctly, you might be able to see a bit more. The GTR has a 72L tank and the 180 has a 65L tank I believe. I get about the same KMs in my 180 as my GTR.

So its around 15L - 16L /100KM, not cheap!!

Btw, how old are you? 3.3k for full compo insurance seems a bit exy. I'm 26 about to finish my green P and I only pay 1.6k with just car insured to 25k (1k excess). Thats all I can think of now. :blush:

Like a few people have said before me, i wouldn't go for any cheap GTR's, as you get what you pay for.

We bought an R32 GTR about 3 years ago and at the time the 18k GTR's of today were 23k then, and soon after purchase ran into many problems and if it wasn't for my Dad being able to do all the repairs/work himself, it just wouldn't be feasable to afford repairs, maintanance, parts etc. He still says, 'we should of spent 30k' on a GTR. After 3 years and lots of $$ spent you still encounter problems like CV joints, belts, brake lines, engine hoses etc etc, not to mention the wear on the engine, gearbox, suspension, etc etc etc.

Do yourself a favour and save some pain and buy something decent and do some research into what you should be looking for when buying one. Money spent now will be wisely invested to save you money down the track when the inevitable will happen to an 18k GTR.

Patience... Look around and wait... Cheap well maintained GTR's do come around often, just need to wait for it.

I managed 500km to a tank in mine round town :D

people like you give me hope LOL

Thanks all for replying in such a mature manner... I like this site actually alot more than NS.com, alot of members there waste your time or flame you over posting something; Say like this.

cheers again guys!

Tom

Thanks all for replying in such a mature manner... I like this site actually alot more than NS.com, alot of members there waste your time or flame you over posting something; Say like this.

cheers again guys!

Tom

So what are you going to do? I would avoid cheap GTR's (like that one for $18k you mentioned) as other ppl have suggested.

I looked at some in that price range a year ago and they were all rubbish. Other cars if they aren't in the best condition it might not not be that much of an issue... with GTR's they are very expensive to fix when they break and many are ticking time bombs.

Like everyone has said look around and find a nice one that doesnt have much wrong with it. But remember that just because you are paying a bit more for it doesnt make it any better. In the past 9 months i have been looking in quite a few states for a decent r32 gtr and quite a few that were in the 21 - 23 grand mark werent in much better condition than the ones i saw that were cheaper around the 17 - 20 grand mark.

Some that were cheaper were actually in better condition than the ones asking more.

You just never know the reason for someone selling their gtr. Some might have legitimate reasons to sell theirs cheaper and you may pick up something nice.

What ever you do make sure you get everything checked over by your mechanic. Thats the only sure fire way to ensure you hve a decent car.

So what are you going to do? I would avoid cheap GTR's (like that one for $18k you mentioned) as other ppl have suggested.

I looked at some in that price range a year ago and they were all rubbish. Other cars if they aren't in the best condition it might not not be that much of an issue... with GTR's they are very expensive to fix when they break and many are ticking time bombs.

Like everyone has said look around and find a nice one that doesnt have much wrong with it. But remember that just because you are paying a bit more for it doesnt make it any better. In the past 9 months i have been looking in quite a few states for a decent r32 gtr and quite a few that were in the 21 - 23 grand mark werent in much better condition than the ones i saw that were cheaper around the 17 - 20 grand mark.

Some that were cheaper were actually in better condition than the ones asking more.

You just never know the reason for someone selling their gtr. Some might have legitimate reasons to sell theirs cheaper and you may pick up something nice.

What ever you do make sure you get everything checked over by your mechanic. Thats the only sure fire way to ensure you hve a decent car.

Thanks to the 2 guys above me My dreams are starting to dimm lol i seen some very clean looking gtrs going for 22-23k man thurugh pics and some even professionally shot which shows they are a enthusiast.

Oh no! Lookout, Tomk has invaded SAU!

Watch out people, if you're not carefull he will spread like a RASH!

J/k Tomk :)

Yeah so what! I am that rash you get from walking too far between your legs i burn and turn spotty red when you try and wash me off :P