SAU Community

XBox Dash Mod :)

Cyric

Any last words before I start hacking up the dash? There is a place in clayton that will remodel the centre piece for approx $150 and they can get the cutouts right for the drive and all the buttons and stuff...

dash.jpg

There will be an internal mini-usb hub on a relay switched off controller port 4 that will be active when no controller is plugged in. Going to dismantle the XBox DVD remote and hard-wire it to the internal mini-usb, the big Xbox jewel (green thing) will be the receiver. The two usb ports on the right will also be connected to the hub so i can connect my digial camera and save photos and whatnot onto the hard drive... Also going to internally connect to the hub a tv/fm tuner so I dont have to pay for the stupid expensive AV unit they try to sell you with most car tv's plus then I can record my favourite programs! THe final thing plugged into the internal hub will be an 802.11 wireless adapter so I can FTP stuff to and from the car without having to burn CD's or take the hard drive out.... Oh and then there is the network connector, just in case somebody wants to hook up a notebook, or heaven forbid is crazy enough to try this themselves and then we can play network games!!!

In fact everybody do this to their car, depending on the 802.11 we choose there is an approx 50m range, so we can all exchance cruise maps on the go :Dsounds nerd alert>

I do however have 2 questions...

1. Did I miss anything? (No i dont need a head unit....)

2. Are there any legal regulations regarding the placement of the hazard switch and the front-rear de-misters.... I remember when I did my driving test (oh so many years ago!) that it was a key part of the test to be able to easily identify them, which I don't see as a problem from the picture... however it cant hurt to check first...

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW this is extreme but i think a little unnecessary.

If you are not using a head deck how are you getting sound to the amp or speakers? or is the LCD monitor intergrated with a tuner or eq?

and if you did run the amps straight off of the xbox how will you control the volume?

can the xbox fit under the seat or in the boot and just control it with the controller? saving the dash?

how about locating it to the glovebox?

yep if you get the advanced AV pack for the box you get a) digital output and B) component audio output..... so the plan is to run audio from that direct into the boot (amps!)

the box will fit into the glovebox ok, but i though it would be nice to have the cd tray pop straight out of the dash, plus make it easier to plus in the controllers.... its all good fun!

ummmm how did u come to the conclusion it would fit in the glovebox?? i tryed this and there was no way in hell that it would fit unless i removed the actualy glove box and custom made a piece of fiberglass to fit around the x box and fill the rest of the empty space.

exactly :rolleyes: the hard drive and dvd drive will be in the dash behind the centre console... along with the controller ports and stuff... so there is no point leaving whats left in that hideously huge xbox case...... plus have you opened one up? there is sooo much wasted space its not funny..... and if you are really stingy on space replace the normal hard drive with a 2.5" notebook drive... or 6 if your greedy like this... http://development.e-clips.com.au/anton/xbox/