SAU Community

Oil Cooler

bezender

I'm still curious about this... because the sandwich plate basicaly mimics the shape of where the filter joins the block, does anyone see any issues with me fitting the sandwich plate to the end of the relocation kit, and then fitting the filter behind the sandwich plate
As long as you seal up the spare fittings you should be fine but, I'm still a bit confused as to exactly what you mean. Personally, if you're not going to relocate the oil filter theirs no point in getting a relocation kit. There's 2 main types of adaptors for oil coolers as pic below:

- Sandwich adaptor (non-relocation)

post-11982-1220932971_thumb.jpg

- Relocation style kit

post-11982-1220932989_thumb.jpg

yeah that's the kind of pic I meant. You are the man Patrick! Hey mate, do you still have or can get SAU stickers? Mine are screwed and I need some more. I need a bigish one for across the front of my windscreen (approx. 40cm wide), and 2 logo ones for my rear quarter windows.

yeah i wouldn't mind a logo one as well.

I have looked at oil coolers as well, going through the hills, my oil temp seems to get a bit high. If i have an oil catch can and relocation/cooler kit, how much oil am i looking putting in? about 7L ?

Yeah not to fill the catch can, but expecting that there will be oil flowing through the lines and some in the catch can, so you would have to compensate by adding a small amount of oil on top of the standard 5L

oil doesnt flow into the catch can unless your giving it a massive hammering and have too much oil in there to begin with

out of the 4 services i have done since i have had the car (4 months) i have never had more than a dribble in the catch can

Edited by craig R33

Damo - you don't fill the oil catch can up with oil unless you'd like a thick layer of oil throughout your intercooler & intake, lol. Also, even if you do experience oil blow by it's nowhere near enough to warrant for extra oil and if anything will just lead to more oil in the catch can. I have a B&M oil cooler (approx 28x20x4cm) w/~2m of hosing and can get away with a 5ltr bottle.

do you still have or can get SAU stickers? Mine are screwed and I need some more. I need a bigish one for across the front of my windscreen (approx. 40cm wide), and 2 logo ones for my rear quarter windows.
Yeah no probs buddy, will get some more made up and give to ya at the Hackney Hotel dinner.

i already have an oil filter relocator fitted very similar to this that has temp sensor in it:

GROUP-469b194d-fc92-4819-8d48-fa5400794e08.png

I am hoping to still use it as there is no problem with it, and i would like to keep my costs down.

my thoughs were to use it in conjunction with a cooler kit like the one in the first pic in pk's post (the one with a sandwich plate).

Sandwich_kit.gif

and i would fit the sandwich plate to either end of the relocation kit (depending on hose lengths etc).

OR

the other option i thought of was to fit some T pieces (like this, but obiously more suitable :( )

Brass%20T%20Piece.jpg

to the hoses on my relocation kit , and run hose to the cooler.... that way i would not have to worry about the sandwich plate

does anyone forsee any problems with this

hope taht is a little clearer :D

yeah Damo you definitely have to put more oil in, as you need enough to fill the oil cooler and the 3 or so metres of braided. I put nearly 6lt of oil in my 34 - I just fill it until it is up to the 'max' line on the dipstick. Like I said previously, I turn the car over without starting it (take off the cas power connector) for like 30 seconds to pump the oil cooler full of oil again, then top up the oil to the max fill line on the dipstick. At the end of the day, the more oil you have, the better it is for your engine - higher volume = greater chance of heat dissipation. Up to a point of course - you don't want to overfill it and create unnecessary pressure.

GROUP-469b194d-fc92-4819-8d48-fa5400794e08.png

If you already have a relocation kit then all you need is some lines and a cooler (+a thermostat if you want to run one).

you use the same line that runs from the block to you relocated filter then you make up two new lines.

1. This goes for what was the return line back to the block to the oil cooler.

2. This goes from the cooler back to the engine block.

And Hey Presto you have an oil cooler relocation kit.

Just remember when you decide which hose is which that the oil flow through a filter from the outside in;

product-oil-01.jpg

and that it's better to filter the oil pre-cooler while it's hot the after it cooler and more viscus.