SAU Community

M3 Vs R34gtr

seank

For what its worth, i also drove an 04 M3 before i bought my Subaru and the only difference that swayed me was the pricetag. That and the fact I had a specific list of options i needed to have and the list was pretty long. For 4.5 million yen, about 40k, i could have had one but played it safe getting the Sti Fonz but i know in my heart which one i would rather have had...

That and the fact there are plenty on the market in Oz and a grey import wouldnt get snapped up easily... :down:

Go the M3 if you want refinement.

Go the R34 if you want raw power

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was considering an E46 M3, too, but they are still pretty expensive! Most of the low-ish mileage cars are still fetching $100k+. I couldn't justify spending that much on a second hand car, whereas i could buy the GTR in the 50k range and give it a comprehensive refresh in all deparments.

I guess it depends on what you want to do with the car, really. For me, i'm looking for a weekend car that i can build up and not have to worry about its 'streetability' and traffic manners. GTR it is!

i have only been in a R33 GTR and I cant recall it being so 'like a jack russell humping your leg' type of car and never settling. When the R33 was off boost it was fine and wasnt revving all over the shop. Unless the R34 is a completely different thing, it may be some have been a bit over the top in describing its power delivery.

i have a feeling a modified gtr is a bit like a highly modified rex, in that off boost its a dog and has very little character, but is plenty fun when boost hits.

The M3s are still expensive and would be comparable to a late model modifed r34

Wonder if the Audi R8 is better (than the M3) even if it's the same 4.2l V8 as in the B7 RS4?

Off topic I know but to answer that questions I've driven both cars (E92 M3) on and off the race track and the M3 is a great car but the R8 is in a totally different league (andI haven't really driven anything better than the R8 to be honest as far as a complete car goes).

Back on topic for me if it was an every day car I'd go the M3 over the R34. If it was a weekend toy I'd go the other way around.

Since much is being said about the differences in cars M3 Vs GTR, can I digress a little.........just a little!

The difference between an M3 Driver Vs a GTR Driver!

Perhaps my perception is a false stereotype but...

If you drive an M3 (and for over a year I had a swanky E46 328Ci), my impression is thet THEY REFUSE TO WAVE!

My impression is... that they look straight ahead (which of course they should do if they're tramping it), and they..

JUST DON'T MAKE FRIENDS!!!

Now take a GTR Driver. He doesn't just wave to other GTR Drivers. He waves to Skyline Drivers. He may even wave to S** Drivers.

They're FOREVER MAKING FRIENDS!!!

I made friends the other day. I waved to a 300ZX Driver - and you know what? Everyone in that damn car waved back!!!

Last month, 2GB Talk-Back Radio Host Murray Wilton tracked down that the oldest licenced driver in NSW is a man named Eric out Cronulla way. He is 101yrs old. 2 callers told Murray that Eric drives an S15 and previously owned a 300ZX! God Bless him!

Now if you guys saw Eric on the road, you'd all wave to him wouldn't you?

But if you were driving an M3, I bet you, you'd look straight ahead LOL and think LOOK AT ME - LOOK AT ME. Poor Eric! LOL

:P:(:)

Since much is being said about the differences in cars M3 Vs GTR, can I digress a little.........just a little!

The difference between an M3 Driver Vs a GTR Driver!

Perhaps my perception is a false stereotype but...

If you drive an M3 (and for over a year I had a swanky E46 328Ci), my impression is thet THEY REFUSE TO WAVE!

My impression is... that they look straight ahead (which of course they should do if they're tramping it), and they..

JUST DON'T MAKE FRIENDS!!!

Now take a GTR Driver. He doesn't just wave to other GTR Drivers. He waves to Skyline Drivers. He may even wave to S** Drivers.

They're FOREVER MAKING FRIENDS!!!

I made friends the other day. I waved to a 300ZX Driver - and you know what? Everyone in that damn car waved back!!!

Last month, 2GB Talk-Back Radio Host Murray Wilton tracked down that the oldest licenced driver in NSW is a man named Eric out Cronulla way. He is 101yrs old. 2 callers told Murray that Eric drives an S15 and previously owned a 300ZX! God Bless him!

Now if you guys saw Eric on the road, you'd all wave to him wouldn't you?

But if you were driving an M3, I bet you, you'd look straight ahead LOL and think LOOK AT ME - LOOK AT ME. Poor Eric! LOL

:):):woot:

lol, thats so true, many times I've been out cruisin only to be joined by fellow skyline drivers, 1 time the trend caught on, and we had over 10 skylines join the convoy,all strangers . We ended up driving around all night.. anyways I suppose you have to own one to understand :wub:

Edited by seank

post-46584-1221788661_thumb.jpg

Nissan Skyline R34 GTR - 1999 to 2002

2.6L Straight 6, Twin Turbo

206kW / 391 Nm of Torque.

Weight = 1543 kg

0-100 Km/h = 5.1 Secs

0-400 Km = 13.7 Secs

2 door, 4 seater.

Equipped with the ATTESA E-TS, HICAS and 4WD.

post-46584-1221788693_thumb.jpg

BMW E46 M3 - 2000 to 2006

3.2L Straight 6 N/A

252kW / 365 Nm of Torque

Weight = 1572 kg

0-100 Km/h = 4.7 Secs

0-400 Km = 13.3 Secs

2 door, 4 seater.

SMG Drivelogic (also known as SMG II) transmission, a Formula 1-style electrohydraulic manual gearbox with no clutch pedal and steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters.

If both cars are approx same price, then I say either one you get is a good bang for your buck.

As for dailys, the M3 would be very refined, as for the GTR, keep the clutch and suspension set up and it's just as good.

Yeah sure the (Quote) - "r34 is like darth vader... done up from standard and uses wizardcraft tricks :down: ", as for the BMW its gota few of its own as well.

(Quote) - "M3.. look, speed, class, sound all u can get D". You could say the same for the GTR... Or just because its "BMW"..?

i vote for the M3. its got the looks, class, sound and its RWD

I dont see how being RWD makes it better.

In the wet, its not.

In the snow, ditto.

GTR sounds amazing with the right zorst...although i prefer the rasping, manic 3,2 litre...

I dont see how being RWD makes it better.

In the wet, its not.

In the snow, ditto.

GTR sounds amazing with the right zorst...although i prefer the rasping, manic 3,2 litre...

I too ask the same question, but I guess some ppl prefer RWD.

those times sound a fair bit off... my old standard 95GTR managed 13.1@ 104.... maybe without a launch 13.7... in a standing start the GTR would rape an e46 m3

13.7 Secs is what the R32 GTR did in WHEELS mag back in 1992 and then SPEED mag in early 2000.

As for the R32, R33 and R34 GTR's there have been websites saying it does mid to high 13's and in some cases mid to high 12's... Im not to confident towards the website 0-400M times. I lean more towards published magazines, but still its just a reference.

Keep in mind the R34 GTR N1 ran 12.1 Secs in WHEELS mag in 2001.

Guess with a hard launch it is possible to achive a lower time tho.

?? m3 does 1/4 mile in 13.3 , i thought it was slower than that.

I must admit the BMW E46 M3 was one of the car to be equiped new high performance 3.2 L S54B32 engines.

A very refined engine I must add. So it is possible.

I dont think quarter mile times are the be-all and end-all of buying a car.

cmon the m3 offers launch control but it logs how many times you perform one into the ECU as well as the bmw key and can void your warranty if you do more than say 5.

How many times can u launch an r34 before you blow the clutch or gearbox; it aint like the 33 or 32 where you can get one for like 500bux.

The getrag is very rare and will b around 3500-5000 if you fark it

Admittedly, across the whole BMW range, they sell far more Autos than other transmissions; but...

Why oh why do they sell so many SMGs? 'Pretend' driving enthusiasts? Motoring Editors have even picked this up too!

They already have a vagueness of steering compared with the GTRs...

So why have a box that really isn't suited to Mac Pass driving. I'd have to go for the manual and nothing else if I hade an M3.

Tez