SAU Community

Rb30/26 Head Studs? Help Please

SJR

Read the post by rips a few up. I wouldn't worry at all about using rb25 head studs.

Yeah i seen that , 8 second defs made me feel better but usually 8 seconds could be rebuilt motors after so many runs etc..

Ok this is excellent feed back... This makes me feel alot better about it.

Did you guys torque the bolts to the recommended setting or go a lil extra?

From memory it was like 85

Dont go more torque than in the manual.

Any more may distort the deck of the block which you dont want.

Also remember the RB30 block is thinner and weaker around the bolt holes, the block material is also a lot softer than studs, so removing thread to fit a bigger stud only weakens your blocks deck area for the sake of adding more bolt strength which is already more than adequate.

The deck will distort more than the bolts can stretch.

We are using RB25 studs on our 600KW build.....any give will be from the block deck distorting to hold the studs/head down, not weak studs stretching......

Go back to page 1, 2 well known builders who do this for a reason, if there was a gain going bigger, they would have been doing it.

Edited by GTRPSI

This is what was tripping me out abit too, no tuner i spoke to said they have ever encountered the casting mark where the idler goes... they said they are all flat .

The casting gets in the way of mine... it wasnt a big issue we made it flat but dno if that helps u guys distinguish what type of block it is.

2wqeq9e.jpg

This is what was tripping me out abit too, no tuner i spoke to said they have ever encountered the casting mark where the idler goes... they said they are all flat .

The casting gets in the way of mine... it wasnt a big issue we made it flat but dno if that helps u guys distinguish what type of block it is.

2wqeq9e.jpg

there is at least one thread on here with a block with the same issue, I think he was in the usa, cos if you are in oz the obvious thing to do would have been get another block.

There are some posts (i think they may have been here) on the web where people have built washer type spacers of fabricated some steel to compensate for the block finish as in the pics above and it worked just fine.

sall good we were able to make it flat and fabricate a solid spacer for it . :)

that's the proper way to do it.

as alrady said, you can get a washer style pacer made, but being timing belt, youd want to be 100% perpendicular.

Couldn't you get sleeves made up to slip into the head bolt holes so you can just use rb25 ones?

You don't need sleeves. It's the dowels that align the head to the block, not the bolts or studs.

• 4 weeks later...