SAU Community

Skyline vs. Guardrail

Well I guess I have learnt a big lesson today about guardrails, and learnt the hard way.

I hit one in my R33 and its mashed up the passenger side front guard, the bumper (repairable), bonnet and headlight.

The inside of the engine bay behind the passenger side headlight looks like a bit of a mess and it compressed in and squashed my pod filter.

There is probably suspension and structural damage although its hard to see. The car however was drivable and i had to drive it 1.5hrs to get home on the freeway and it didnt rattle or wiggle or steer funny.

I called the police and asked what I had to do and they said since:

- noone else was involved'

- the car did not need towing

- i wasnt under the influence

- i just hit the guard rail

i dont have to file a report.

Has anyone else had this kind of thing happen?

Nope.

I'm just curious as too why you rung the Police... You could of gotten yourself into trouble i would think...

Of course, different if you hit private property...

Well I rang the Police Assistance Line because I figured if I was going to make an insurance claim I may need a police report.

Besides I didnt need to give them my name or anything to ask for advice on this.

It was thinking I might also be liable for some damages to the guard rail or something, but aparently not.

Dont think i will make an insurance claim tho, seems to be fairly managable damage.

befor claiming on insurance get sum quotes, if you claim you will need to pay the exess and the the premium will go up and you will always have to say you have made a claim when getting other insurance, in the long run you are better to just fix it your self i wouldnt think it would be 2K max for the complete fix.

I was racing at Sandown today and a fairly hot R33 GTR went head first into the Armco railing at a fair rate of knots. The engine survived but FMIC was totalled. And...under the new CAMS regs he has to pay for the Armco railing that he bent!

damn. poor GTR. Wonder how much those guardrails will set him back...

Im glad my engine seems to have survived without problem.

Just changed the oil yesterday too and she was running so well. :)

Originally posted by Clint32

befor claiming on insurance get sum quotes, if you claim you will need to pay the exess and the the premium will go up and you will always have to say you have made a claim when getting other insurance, in the long run you are better to just fix it your self i wouldnt think it would be 2K max for the complete fix.

Thanks for the advice dude. I will be taking it to a few panel shops around where I live tommorrow for a few quotes.

Probably not worth making an insurance claim like you said. In the long run I would end up paying 2 or 3 times the repair costs.

Originally posted by 2fardown

You made the right decision calling the police and asking for advice.  Better then getting denied when you claim on insurance.

Thanks. Yeah i also figured it would be better to be upfront to the police now and face the consequences if any than worrying needlessly about if I had broken any laws and facing some criminal charge or something.

you will be looking more like 4k to fix that damage. If its bent up around your pod, that involves beating it back into place and most likely getting it on a chassis machine. also new front bar, bonnet, light, guard + paint is going to cost. Also any suspension bits too.

best bet is too get some quotes from reliable panel beaters and then decide. Dont just go for a cheap one too as it may cost u in the end!

Originally posted by dAVE

you will be looking more like 4k to fix that damage. If its bent up around your pod, that involves beating it back into place and most likely getting it on a chassis machine. also new front bar, bonnet, light, guard + paint is going to cost. Also any suspension bits too.

best bet is too get some quotes from reliable panel beaters and then decide. Dont just go for a cheap one too as it may cost u in the end!

Thanks yeah 4k is close. I have priced up parts and stuff and im looking at about 1500 for body parts 1000 for panel beating. Then comes painting and anything else i havent discovered yet.

Originally posted by 2fardown

If you could still drive it home without it taking off in different directions then I doubt your chassis is bent.

thanks yeah, I pretty much had to drive it home. I drove it for about 1.5hrs at up to 100km/hr on the freeway. It seemed fine and didnt wobble or travel off the road by itself.

i guess i will find out tonight after the panel beater has had it all day.