SAU Community

Loud Squeal At Startup (cold Start)

DaveB

Hi all,

This has probably come up before but I can't find it... I have a really loud squeal that lasts for a few seconds on a cold start... usually it's worse with colder weather (lasts longer). I've had 100,000K service done (replaced all 3 accessory belts) and that helped it a little, but still there (actually I think the warmer weather may be what helped).

So I'm suspecting the viscous clutch on the crank-driven radiator fan... has anybody had to replace one of these? Would any old R31 clutch fit? Thinking it might be cheaper than one of an RB25.

Thanks

DaveB

Thanks for the quick replies guys; unfortunately though -

- noise was there before the service

- they replaced & tensioned the belts, and they are pretty tight - fair effort is required to deflect them 10mm or so on the longest span, I always suspected they were too tight even (old ones were tight too)

- I had the water pump replaced during the service... along with idler & tensioner bearings (which I also wondered about)

I've actually had this problem since I got the car, about 25,000 K's ago. It has been intermittent; doesn't always make noise. When I couldn't tighten the belts, I just suspected the radiator fan. I was going to use some 'belt grip' spray but it says specifically 'do not use on multi-V belts'??

Um, first of all, Belt grip - do what it says and dont use it on ribbed or multi V belts. Belt grip is designed to work on higher face pressures than you get with these style belts, all it will do is cause your belts to wear out faster.

Secondly, check your air conditioning clutch. Looking at the face of the compressor, you will see that when the air con is off, the centre of the clutch should stay stationary. If the clutch is on its way out it can drag when you start up.

Fan clutch - If this is the problem they usually get more free as they deteriorate, not bind up. You should be able to feel a slight resistance when you turn it by hand (with the engine NOT running) but in my experience, like I said, when they start to let go they get easier to turn, not binded up. Maybe check and make sure there is no movement in the hub of it though - if the spigot is worn it may be letting the fan come in to contact with the shroud.

Lastly, make sure that the belts haven't been over tightened, as this can cause the bronzed bush in the water pump to bind and wipe the shaft. Deflection should be as per the manufacturers recommendation.

Thanks Dale, I hadn't thought of the air con compressor. Hope it's not that!

Yeah the sound is *very* annoying... especially when it's late at night/early in the morning... sure wakes up the neighborhood...

Thanks Dale, I hadn't thought of the air con compressor. Hope it's not that!

Yeah the sound is *very* annoying... especially when it's late at night/early in the morning... sure wakes up the neighborhood...

If it is, the VL commo one can be adapted to fit pretty easily. Same for the alternator

If it is, the VL commo one can be adapted to fit pretty easily. Same for the alternator

Excellent... for the NEO engine as well?

checked for like, dead cats?

Lol! first time it happened I thought I'd killed one...

My old s2 stagea used to do that noise on startup. Would disappear about 2-3 seconds later. Also I found that I could turn the car off and on again, and it would usually be ok the 2nd time.

I think I ended up replacing all the drive belts, which solved the problem for me. I think the squeaking was the belts slipping a little before they warmed up.

My old s2 stagea used to do that noise on startup. Would disappear about 2-3 seconds later. Also I found that I could turn the car off and on again, and it would usually be ok the 2nd time.

I think I ended up replacing all the drive belts, which solved the problem for me. I think the squeaking was the belts slipping a little before they warmed up.

my S1 is a bit of a squealer also. the other night it squealed like crazy and destroyed a belt. turns out the alternator was knackered. glad i got that extra warranty now :D even with replacement alternator and belt, and i'm back to square 1 with a squeaky belt a week or so later. damn japanese, why do they always have to be so mysterious :)

my S1 is a bit of a squealer also. the other night it squealed like crazy and destroyed a belt. turns out the alternator was knackered. glad i got that extra warranty now :( even with replacement alternator and belt, and i'm back to square 1 with a squeaky belt a week or so later. damn japanese, why do they always have to be so mysterious :(

damn, hope I haven't got that problem... new alternator must be a couple of hundred at least. Good thing you had warranty.

Pixel8r - :D those are my exact symptoms; everything is the same. Unfortunately though I have had all 3 belts replaced like a couple of weeks ago; I don't know what's up.

PS You're trading up to an M35??? anything u didn't like about the S2 (besides the squealing?)

• 3 weeks later...

my S2 is exactly the same

my S2 is exactly the same

Well so far I think that my problem is just a loose belt. It only happens when I have let the engine cool down, and if it's not completely cold, it's not as bad (squeak doesn't sound as loud or last as long)

It just sounds like a belt slipping... so I got to it and had a look for the belt adjustments. I have found 2 of the 3 belt adjusters... they are 12mm bolt heads and just require a 12mm spanner (ring preferred, but access to the right-hand-side one for the power steering pump belt is a little limited, you may need an open ender). None of them need to be too tight; just until you can 'deflect' the belt using thumb and forefinger about 10mm along its longest run.

Here are pics of the adjuster locations for the 2 that I have found:

Left side (alternator/cooling fan belt)

post-32445-1224395053_thumb.jpg

Right side (power steering pump belt)

post-32445-1224395064_thumb.jpg

Centre belt (air compressor); I don't know where the adjustment for this one is (I suspect I'd have to pull the underbody plastic off and crawl underneath)

post-32445-1224395039_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately for me, it is the centre belt that feels loose while the others feel damn tight. I am sure it's that one which is causing my problem, but after feeling around everywhere and getting filthy and burnt I haven't been able to find the adjustment yet.

• 2 weeks later...
all my belts are tight. but mine still makes the noise exactly the way you described.

Damn, not encouraging... such a simple problem, but so friggin annoying :thumbsup: