SAU Community

Rotor Size Legal Limits

Gester

Yeah I just went and got a set of EBC Greenstuff brake pads then went down to Midas to get them machined and fitted. They measured the rotors and the rear's were 17mm and the fronts were 29.3mm. The legal limit is 16mm rear and 30mm front. So they said they wouldn't be able to do it. Is it bad to go elsewhere and have them slightly under the limit? Is this even normal?

He wanted me to get a new set of rotor's for the front and back and that was like $1200 all up so I said, I'll be right.

What shoudl I do? Get new rotor's or is it still ok to be slightly under?

Thanks!

It wouldn't be a great idea running around too long on rotors that are under their tolerance, especially when putting a harder wearing/performances pads on, as these will wear the rotor even quicker and nasty things could happen (rotors cracking or shearing off sections if really bad). Should be able to pickup rotors cheaper than that though. I got my DBA slotted 4000 series rotors, front and rear, for a little over $800 (Group buy through SAU), so standard replacements shouldn't be more than that.

Get new rotors and I will see you at the next Q.R. Sprint meet!!??

well the first thing i would be doing is finding somewhere to get your work done. 33 gtst rotors are 30 mm, the min size is 28mm, the rears are 18mm the min size is 16mm, so both your rotors should be ok, you just may need to get them machined.

Are the thicknesses mentioned on DBAs site, for their rotors, not OEM rotors?

They have listed for a 33 gtst;

front - original thickness 32mm; replacement thickness 30mm

rear - original thickness 18mm; replacement thickness 16mm

I was under the impression that they were the same??? They are supposed to be replacement rotors. If the DBA fronts are thicker, and this is probably were MIDAS got their info from, then that could cause a bit of confusion. What is the answer??

Yup same thing happened to me when I asked Jax to machine my rotors. They looked at the DBA specs and basically said nope they are illegal.

I then went up to my trusty Better Brakes and they looked up the Nissan specs and it was 16mm and 28mm so they machined them without a problem.

You still have a good machining left in those rotors so use em till they are dead (probably another years worth).

DBA4000 Club Spec Slotted Rotors are around ~$1000+ brand new.

On my DBA sheet I've got it the other way around - R33 GTS-t rotors being 296x32 (runout 30mm) and any GTR being 324x30 (runout 28mm). The R32 GTS-t rotors are 280x30. So unless this version has a typo or 2, I think that <30mm on an R33 GTS-t is definitely too thin (DBA manufacture their discs as per the factory standard - they are OEM replacements).

I've run with too-thin discs on a few of my Toranas (probably all of them!). We're talking like 1-2mm too thin here. The only problems I had were easier warping of the disc and they overheated very quickly and also caused my brake fluid some problems. But I ran regular pads and didn't brake too hard and often so I think that's why I could get away with it. I wouldn't want to use too-thin discs on a car that did a lot of braking and with some upgraded pads.

Originally posted by Gester

He wanted me to get a new set of rotor's for the front and back and that was like $1200 all up so I said, I'll be right.

1200 for new rotors?

No way man.

That's more than what i'm paying for a custom DBA4000 series rotors that are cahnged to a two piece.

So if you got told 1200 then your getting your ass ripped out silly.

Originally posted by R31Nismoid

1200 for new rotors?

No way man.  

That's more than what i'm paying for a custom DBA4000 series rotors that are cahnged to a two piece.  

So if you got told 1200 then your getting your ass ripped out silly.

The quote was from Midas. Nothing more needs to be said :)

• 4 weeks later...

Autospeed are cheaper ($1K) and delivery is free.

The Std rotors are 30mm front new and 28 minimum.

I got slotted fronts and plain rears for track work for $650 but not DBA. Don't need a brand name anyway. I'll know how they go next weekend at sandown