SAU Community

Knocking Problem

Just got my car serviced today. Minor service, so just an oil and whatever. As i drove off i noticed my car has started to knock more than usual (the knock level on my PFC says about 17 in traffic putting about, and then jumping up to about 40-60 when you open it up)

My mechanic put injector cleaner in my fuel for me, would that have any effect in the knock in my car??? as it has started doing this just after i got it serviced. Im a bit stumped as to what else, if anything could contribute to it???

Well i would check your oil first, as not enough oil can make the engine make more noise than normal and cause the knock audio sensors to think the car is knocking.

Then put a new batch of higher octane fuel in, or if the tank if full and you don't want to drive that much with it knocking go buy some octane booster from repco or a servo.

If that doesnt fix it take it back and ask if there was any trouble with the service and mention the high knocking. Ask if he used a different oil or filter.

If still not satisfied then go out and buy some of your own oil and a filter and do the change yourself (its piss easy and kinda fun).

Then if that doesnt fix it time to visit the tuner, or just visit the tuner straight away!

^^ hmm didnt know about the oil level; +1 check it then on a nice level surface.

Im almost 100% confident that the mechanic took the car for a long thrash....that or the apprentice. On full throttle for a 15minute thrash you can burn quite a bit of fuel.

He then filled it up with 91octane; cheap bastard!

maybe we should all write down the odo # before leaving the car.

LOL

IF my car leaves my sight it has a 3000rpm rev limiter and the hand controller removed. With my new ecu it will have the rev limiter on with a password on the ecu.

You cannot trust anyone with your skyline.

^^ hmm didnt know about the oil level; +1 check it then on a nice level surface.

Im almost 100% confident that the mechanic took the car for a long thrash....that or the apprentice. On full throttle for a 15minute thrash you can burn quite a bit of fuel.

He then filled it up with 91octane; cheap bastard!

maybe we should all write down the odo # before leaving the car.

after letting the car sit for a while and cool down, and judging by the knock levels taking it for a drive later i realised that my mechanic just took it for a thrashing. Your exactly right guilt toy, cant trust anyone with our cars. Definitely from now on, the rev limiter on my pfc will be set to 2000-3000 rpm for sure.

I realise now how silly my question was after re-reading it, but unfortunately i ruled out that it had been thrashed since i "trusted" my mechanic since ive been a customer of theirs for so many years now, alas i was wrong. I guess the temptation of my car having about 70 more rwkws since last time they had it got the better of them.

This is why I always take down my odometer reading and drop my boost to as low as possible when it is in for a service or repair (probably why I have been servicing repairing it on my own now a days if time allows for it). It is sad when a service provider you trust has betrayed you in this manner.

vacuum on my stock boost gauge sits at the same level, so im guessing that my comp hasnt changed dramatically. car runs the same, and still starts well. fuel econ seems about the same. On a quick check over the car seems fine, i guess to put my worries to bed ill have to just take it to get a proper comp test at some stage as i dont have the tools to do it myself manually.

i dont think this guy wouldve thrashed it within an inch of its life, but judging by the knock that day, he definitely did take it for a spirited drive somewhere, which is just fantastic for my car on a hot day.

i always take down my odometer as well, so i can tell you that he drove it about 7kms. From now on i can tell you my rev limiter will be set to 2000-3000, my trip meter set to 0 and my odometer written down on a piece of paper.

tell you what, im damn glad that im moving to melbourne in the next few months, so now my TUNER can service my car and/or modify/repair my car if needed. At least he is one person that i can trust and that i know wont mistreat my car, and more importantly knows what hes talking about.

Living in a town like albury is a curse in that regard, one day your glad you drive a skyline because you dont see many others, and then the next your ropeable because someone youve taken your car too has either mistreated it or f**ked up whatever they were trying to do to it because they have no f**king idea about the car your driving.

At least i can thank them for forcing me to do a lot of my own work on my car!! you get more satisfaction that way :D

Have you checked your sump for spark plugs :D

Albury-Wodonga can be good times heres one of many; exhaust shop whilst removing broken manifold studs struck black gold, threw the new gasket on along with plenty of goo and sent me on my way. Thanks guys.

Would you mind pm'ing me your trusted workshop name please.

+1 to everyone with power FC's limiting the revs to 3500rpm and pulling out or hiding the controller.

best thing about car tuners is that they are around performance cars so much that they generally wont feel the urge to thrash your car.

exactly right!

PM sent code blue

youve made my heart sink, coz believe it or not im getting the manifold studs replaced in my car at the moment because some of them have seized/broken. FUUUUCKKKKK they do have it overnight, because the guy was having trouble getting them out. so if help me god he has caused a big problem with my ride and doesnt fix it this will probably be my last post because i will be serving 25 to life for murder.

I've had a similar problem with my R33 GTST, i usually get around 30 knocks on a normal drive which is apparently OK.. but as the weather got warmer I have noticed it knocking to well over 80 knocks on the PFC (especially in 3rd gear), and I have even lowered the boost. I think it might be the warm weather and high boost levels?