SAU Community

Dump Pipes

Tough R34

hi guys

just looking at purchasing a dump/front pipe and im wondering whats the diff between split and non split dump pipes???

would there be a power difference???

im looking for more throttle response....

cheers

steve

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will get better throttle response either way. And with the stock turbo i doubt you would be able to tell the difference between the two.

I had a split dump pipe on my car ages ago and i thought it was a great little upgrade.

correct me if i'm wrong, but split pipes are meant to work better (in theory) due to the turbulent air coming out of the turbo.. by splitting the wastegated exhaust down a separate pipe and re-joining the main flow at a later point where the turbo's air is less turbulent, it allows better flow for the wastegated gasses. This should allow for better flow.

however if the wastegate side of the split dump isn't large enough it could cause over boost (as Pal is experiencing) ..

ive got the first one....fitted up pretty easy, definetly increased resonse and also a slight increase in psi (1-2psi).

bolted up nicely, just one bolt was abit hard to get to, but i just cut my open ended spanner in half so i can get in there and tighten it up

overall good product

chuck on a 3.5" hi flow cat while ur at it

:D

There was a test i read once on large dump pipes versus split ones and the results were a higher low-mid torque increase using the HKS split dump pipe.

Top end power on the HKS was higher too but only marginally. CES was tested as the best as the split has the longest distance from the gate but its also probably the most pricey.

For me; im going tomei as i believe the differences would be so small, not really noticible.

i got the just jap bell mouth and the xforce high flow cat, now running 10-11psi, vast improvement....

when i got my car dyno'd the other week it got 159.5rwkw with just exhaust/ front/dump and high flow cat running stock boost.... the stock r33's and r34's were getting 125-135rwkw, so quite a bit of power increase over stock

and 15psi on your stock turbo??????? you must want an excuse to high flow yours lol...

and unless your planning to get over 250rwkw i wouldnt bother choosing between the split or bellmouth pipes, even then you wouldn't really feel much of a difference..... a dyno machine will see it but i doubt you'll feel it...

hey guys im not running a stock turbo.

ive got a GT30r 500hp roller, this is why im asking the difference.

im going for 300kw....eventually

i had it at 248rwkw but the injectors were maxxd out so im running at 221rwkw now....

So you have one of those bastardised turbos with the nissan rear housings?

Also, I would steer clear of the Xforce hiflow cats unless it is the "racing" item, Catco or Metalcat seems to be where it's at :rofl: