SAU Community

Battery Charger Recommendations

Phatboy

Hi guys, when I don't drive my car for about a week, the battery just dies. I can hear the car trying to crank but it just doesn't start. The battery is quite tiny, and I can't read the label to find out the cranking amps, but I know it is a Pitwork G Series.

It's probably because of an aftermarket stereo/subwoofer and alarm/immobiliser.

Wanted to find a battery charger that I can connect to the bonnet terminals that will charge and then maintain that charge, for when it just sits in the garage. Any recommendations? Oh and should I disconnect my subwoofer cable when I am charging??

Thanks very much.

post-49469-1226391838_thumb.jpg

post-49469-1226391860_thumb.jpg

i wouldn't bother disconnecting the amp, with that sub i can guess that your amp is pretty small so that wouldn't do a prob.... I got 1500rms amp and i get no problm starting.... how old is your battery? being in the boot its hard to see how old or how much acid is in the battery, i had your problem once and all it was was all the acid had evaporated. I thought the battery was still full because in the boot it doesnt get dirty and it looked fresh lol.

actally looking back i guess it wont hurt to disconnect your amp, just unscrew your fuse holder that you can see in one of your pics above....

LOL I had a Pitwork battery too. Original from Japan.

Anyway I swapped with a Boche Silver and never looked back.

BUT I did buy a cheap "trickle" charger which keeps it charged if I am not driving it for a few weeks.

Cool, thanks for everyone's replies.

I went to Autobarn and SCA and decided to get one of the Projecta battery chargers, either the 2.3 or 4 amp one. They automatically switch from full charge to maintenance, so I can just leave them on. They said that I should get the lower amp one as the battery will last longer???? If the charger is just at maintenance, does it matter what amp rating it is?

Cool, thanks for everyone's replies.

I went to Autobarn and SCA and decided to get one of the Projecta battery chargers, either the 2.3 or 4 amp one. They automatically switch from full charge to maintenance, so I can just leave them on. They said that I should get the lower amp one as the battery will last longer???? If the charger is just at maintenance, does it matter what amp rating it is?

it doesn't matter what amp rating it is if it is used as a maintance charger. keep in mind though if the battery is low on charge make sure you allow for ventilation in the boot if you have a non sealed lead acid battery. you'll end up getting an acid smell in the boot and the battery might breath a little to much and weep acid out the caps. ;)

have you measured the Amperage drain on your battery when switched off? that would give you an indication of which one you need

all vehicles have a current draw of at least .01amps-.05. any larger then this the battery will go flat. you will need to get that fixed first before buying a charger. the only vehicles i've seen with hugh current draws are late model euro cars like bmw and mercs, but they have a battery that can handle that sort of current draw for a period of time only.

Agreed.. Haha

In all seriousness why dont you just invest in a decent new battery?

I'd love to, but I have no idea how to exchange the battery myself (see pics). How do I actually get to it? Do I need to unscrew the whole metal plate separating the boot from the rest of the car?

I'd love to, but I have no idea how to exchange the battery myself (see pics). How do I actually get to it? Do I need to unscrew the whole metal plate separating the boot from the rest of the car?

Yeah you need to pull the whole plate out, it's held in by 12 bolts then just lifts out.

If you get a bigger battery you'll need a new ground cable and terrminal as the new battery will sit higher.

I got a D34 in the standard position and it works a treat, I also have a CTEK charger.

Here's what I use on my car:

img1001yd3.jpg

It comes with a two types of terminals... the standard clips, and ones that can be attached via bolts (2 eyelets). I attached the eyelet terminals to the engine bay jump start terminals.

The charger then plugs in like this. Just unplug and go when you want to.

img0995te6.jpg

(yes, the bonnet still closes with this attached)

I bought the charger from here:

http://www.batterydoctor.com.au/store/view...?product=BFA012

used paypal, and was delivered to my door within 3 days.

$69 delivered

It's a set and forget type thing. It will not overcharge, and it turns itself off automatically.

I use a ctek charger as well and we use one at work. they are compact and easy to install. I've mounted mine to the battery box in my boot and when the cars not in use i just plug in 240. I do agree with sinstr, get a decent battery, then buy a charger.

Ok, I bought a Projecta 4300mAmp charger, but when I try to charge the battery from either the bonnet terminals or directly on the battery terminals, the power light is on the charger but it is not charging.

The manual said that this may be the case if the battery is truly dead, and cannot be recharged. Fair enough. I spend an hour removing the pain in the ass metal plate in the boot and remove the battery. Lo and behold, the battery is able to be charged after it has been removed from the car. What does this mean????

Ok, I bought a Projecta 4300mAmp charger, but when I try to charge the battery from either the bonnet terminals or directly on the battery terminals, the power light is on the charger but it is not charging.

The manual said that this may be the case if the battery is truly dead, and cannot be recharged. Fair enough. I spend an hour removing the pain in the ass metal plate in the boot and remove the battery. Lo and behold, the battery is able to be charged after it has been removed from the car. What does this mean????

Have you tried charging the battery in its original position with battery terminals removed? If it is not charging only when its connected up to your terminals my guess would be that there is a problem somewhere with wiring. I am by no means an expert so hopefully someone else here can give you some more info on where to look.

Good luck with it mate!