SAU Community

Is Skyline Worth It?

cdw666

okay, im contemplating getting a 1996 R33 Gts-t or a 1997 or 1998 Honda Prelude VTIR. The skyline seems to be misfiring a bit, but everything else seems good. It also comes with 1 year warranty (prob just mechanical). The skyline's done 99,000 kms, and the Prelude's done 170,000 km. The prelude seems to be running fine. My issue is that for the next one year, i need to choose the car that is not going to give me any problems what so ever. I prefer to have the skyline, as it is powerful and a very nice drive. However, I understand that skylines can be a bit of a money pit. I dont mind putting money into it after a year, but until then, i can't afford to do anything for it except doing its regular servicing and insurance. What do u guys think? Get the skyline with the lower Kms with misfiring but with 1 year warranty or the prelude with the high kms, seems to be running fine and no warranty? Thanks in advance.

P.S. i understand that as this is a skyline forum, you guys obviously have a love of skylines, but an objective, unbiased opinion would be appreciated :):(

Edited by cdw666

All cars are a money pit, not just Skylines :) Also unrealisitic to expect that any car will abide by your rule of not playing up for a year sadly LOL

Obviously get the Skyline though based on Ks if nothing else :(

its the same as anything really. my skyline has been a one nightmare after the other. but then again, my sisters barina is starting to fall apart now. and at least my cars a lot hotter and more powerful (when its working lol)

another thing you should consider is police attention. because that can be a pain in the ass also. and expensive.

borrow more money and get a gtr . all will become clear...............till you drive your bosses hks 34 then it starts to cost again just jokig if u cant afford to maintain it dont buy it

Hi,

I've got both atm. I'm wondering what the 1 year limit is all about? Are you going o'seas; or do you have another car lined up in a year?

Because, if you're going to keep the car for just a year, and if the 'Lude is in good cond. I'd definitely get the 'Lude.

Why?

Because even if you get an aftermarket warranty on the 'Line, it won't cover the 100,000Km service unless you get that done as part of the deal!

Do you know how much the 100,000Km service costs?

If you get the 'Lude, you'll only be approaching the 200,000Km service by the end of a year and then you can let the next owner worry about that. My VTiR has just cost me $900 for the 200,000Km service (which included the hydraulic tensioner - a common replacement).

Now, lets turn the equation around a bit.

If you can wrangle the 100,000Km service as part of the purchase price, I would definitely take the 'Line. But sort out if that spluttering is in the engine or the 02 sensor, or AFM, or some other sensor etc etc.

As a RWD, it'll give you much more driver satisfaction over the 'Lude (FWD) even if it's the more expensive ATTS where on corners, the outside wheels rotate quicker than the inside wheels. The 5th gen 'Lude does not have 4WS unless it's a Jap import (JDM).

My 'Line (although it's a GT-R) uses 12l/100Km and 14l/100Km if stretched

My 'Lude uses about 9l/100Km as a daily

Hope this helps!!

Tez

he graduates in a year. till then, money will be tight (as for all uni students) however with our course its very hard to work parttime and neither of us wants to put too much burden on our olds to support us. only difference with me is that i;ve already got my line.

charuth with wat you've told me, i'd say go for the lude. didja have a look at the white one?

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

hondas seem to be reliable as - go the prelude and just relax for a year then get something hot as - there always seem to be something to fix on a Nissan import lol..

hondas seem to be reliable as - go the prelude and just relax for a year then get something hot as - there always seem to be something to fix on a Nissan import lol..