SAU Community

Changing Timing Belt

sturb25

Im changing my timing belt 2morrow cause my stag finaly clicked over 100,000km the other day. Im right with the belt itself but ive just got a question about the cooling system if anyone can help. ive got to pull the radiator out to do this job and was wondering if the bolt at the top of the engine next to the inlet manifold with tubes coming out of under it is a bleed valve for your cooling system cause i know that the r33 has one in nearly the same spot. I presume that it has to be bled to get all the air out of it. Can anyone confirm this and tell me how i should do it properly?

true, also one towards the rear around the idle control.

Warm up the engine with the bolts and radiator cap off, keep pouring coolant into holes ( and radiator ) with small dispenser as you go. Once coolant/bubbles start appearing, place bolts on but only half way, so bubbles can escape. Wait until all the bubbles have stopped and a flow of coolant is seen, tighten up bolts. To be really thorough, check after a few days of driving, undue bolts and pour in some coolant to remove any accumulated air. Probably a few ways to do this, but this works for me.

Hi guys, all I ever do is:

- fill cooling system via radiator (make sure cap is off)

- remove bottom bleeder bolt (at front of plenum)

- 'pump' top/bottom hoses a few times by hand

- fill some more

- squeeze top hose until coolant runs out the bolt hole

- hold pressure in pipe by hand at this point, and replace bleeder bolt before releasing

- remove top bleeder bolt (at rear of plenum)

- squeeze hose until coolant comes out

- hold hose while replace top bolt

...done

it does make sense to me though that the engine should be run with these bolts partially undone, to make sure coolant starts to run out with no bubbles... that would "boil the air out" (ie. engine must be idled for at least 5 mins or so until thermostat opens).

Edited by DaveB

Just got my 100k service done (2000k's ago) and i have had to top up my coolant twice since then

about 300-400ml each time. does that mean that they forgot to bleed the system?

no visible leaks at all