SAU Community

The Defected Thread...

Cubes

345 up front 355 rear got re defected for height today at regency gay not happy so am now after front and rear struts

Yeah that sounds spot on. You have a pm :D

I just got defected today driving my uncomplied unregisted r32 gtr from the mechanics back to my house on a permit.

I had no front bar because it was at the crash repairs getting some cracks fixed, and whilst i was driving it home my front right indicator fell off unknowingly.

the officer deamed the car unroadworthy and defected me. the car will be getting complied sometime in the near future maybe 3-6 months.

will this defect have to be removed (rectified) before i go to get complied or when its getting complied or after? or is it just nothing to worry about?

Thanks.

I just got defected today driving my uncomplied unregisted r32 gtr from the mechanics back to my house on a permit.

I had no front bar because it was at the crash repairs getting some cracks fixed, and whilst i was driving it home my front right indicator fell off unknowingly.

the officer deamed the car unroadworthy and defected me. the car will be getting complied sometime in the near future maybe 3-6 months.

will this defect have to be removed (rectified) before i go to get complied or when its getting complied or after? or is it just nothing to worry about?

Thanks.

i dont know the answer to this one mate but i too received a similar major defect on my unregistered (driving with permit) r32 gtst, i would really like to know what happens here?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

My mate just got defected. The cop instructed him he had to get a hole in the dash and place the electronic boost controller unit within there to get the car passed through regency. He also was instructed it had to be done by a shop with recipts to show it. Apparently the officer seemed aggravated at the time. I know that boost controllers are a deflectable item, which leads me to believe the officer knew this and just wanted my friend to go through regancy twice and spend more cash. So what I'm trying to say is BEWARE, as this maybe a common trick.

Edited by Mr.Massive

Hey guys,

My mate just got defected. The cop instructed him he had to get a hole in the dash and place the electronic boost controller unit within there to get the car passed through regency. He also was instructed it had to be done by a shop with recipts to show it. Apparently the officer seemed aggravated at the time. I know that boost controllers are a deflectable item, which leads me to believe the officer knew this and just wanted my friend to go through regancy twice and spend more cash. So what I'm trying to say is BEWARE, as this maybe a common trick.

He doesn't have to do any of this, regency will inspect the vehicle and if they can't find the boost controller then they have to clear it. Make sure he does all his bushes and fixes everything else up though as they will always find something to pick on.

Edited by Rolls

• 2 weeks later...

He doesn't have to do any of this, regency will inspect the vehicle and if they can't find the boost controller then they have to clear it. Make sure he does all his bushes and fixes everything else up though as they will always find something to pick on.

+ 1 to the bushes and anything that may be loose! Brother and myself both had to do these 3-4 years back, have kept the car practically stock ever since :/

was just wondering whether spacers are passable through regency :S

I don't think they are. Only possible way (guessing) would be if it is mechanically engineered but even that is beyond the original design. Any takers on this one?

a slip on spacer is dangerous and will always be illegal to run, bolt ons are different but just put stockies on, thats the simple answer

+1 Spacers are no way near legal. Be sure to play it safe, because you don't want to be revisiting that place.

Ironic isnt it that making your car safer is illegal.

eg. rollcages, coilovers, wider wheels ect........

even i see the stupidity in these laws and im 13, never driven or had any interaction with cops/laws other than a break in.

Sleeper Datto

edit: my spelling and punctuation sucks

Edited by sleeperdatto

there is a good reason most of it is illegal.

cages if you aren't wearing a helmet and a proper 5 point harness you can hit your head on them and they can cause more injuries in lower speed accidents. Wider wheels can change suspension geometry and make the car handle worse etc blah blah, if you do it properly it can make the car safer but half the time it wont. Coilovers might not have appropriate spring rates (eg 8kg coilovers) causing less traction due to the wheels skipping, lowering ride height stuffing up geometry making the car handle worse.

They don't make it illegal to piss you off, they do it for good reason, plus if you do it properly and ticked off by an engineer 90% of it will now be street legal

Things that genuinely make the car safer like proper rubber, good brakes etc are not illegal mods.

If by good brakes you mean bigger, i.e. bigger disks, new calipers, my understanding is they're illegal if they're not engineered.

I was also of the understanding that slip on spacers were legal if they were under a certain size (maybe 10mm?) then after that you had to go bolt on.

Didn't know boost controllers were illegal... is there a web site where all this stuff is detailed?

anything that alters the emissions of the engine is generally illegal and it is up to their interpretation of this as to what they ping you on, eg you'll get away with intercoolers etc but as soon as you up the boost, change turbo chargers, injection systems etc you need a full spectrum emissions test

you can call up regency and they will tell you everything, or do an application to modify vehicle and they will tell you exactly what needs to be done, most of it is hidden on the transport sa website but you have to dig around to find it.

edit:

a lot of them are listed here

http://www.vicroads....300/0/VSI22.pdf

and all the info should be able to be found here

http://www.infrastru...adr_online.aspx

If by good brakes you mean bigger, i.e. bigger disks, new calipers, my understanding is they're illegal if they're not engineered.

if they are ADR approved or came on a different model of the same car then they don't need to be

Edited by Rolls

hey guys, im buying my r32 from melb driving it back to adelaide. It has a few minor mods on it and im not really sure what exactly i gotta change back to stock to go through inspections.

heres the list of the mods:

Full GTR body kit

fibre glass gtr vented bonnet

350z anniversary wheels

Khumo KU19 front and KU31rear excellent thread

Projector headlights with Xenon Globes

R34 GTT OP6 turbo

HKS adjustable actuator set to 12psi

3" Dump pipe

3" Front pipe with flex

3" cat back exhaust to oval muffler

GREDDY front mount intercooler