SAU Community

Which Coilovers Brand Is More Durable?

the bilsteins are circlip height adjustable, its not as easy as threaded sleeve adjustment, but fine if u dont plan on changing height all the time. you can however put threaded sleeves on the bilsteins to make it easily height adjustable like any other coilover package.

well, after having a look over coilovers prices, I would include any dampers into the list again.

that damn japanese yen is not getting any lower, everyday it's higher and fkin drier :D

currency exchange rates kills me. difference in prices around %30-35 increased!!

is it possible to use my Teins' springs and fit them on a set of different brand shocks?

or, maybe someone here have a second hand set of coilovers and wants to sell it!!

cheers.

hey mate,

would you please tell me waht springs rate you have on those monoflex? and how is the ride on pumpy streets?

how long you have them on your GTS?

The spring rate is 8kg front and 6kg in the rear. We have had the shocks revavled by Graham and Mike at Fulcrum Suspension in BRisbane to suit what we do. The car is basically a track car (half caged, stripped weight etc etc).

With the higher spring rate than the super street, on the track we found a few issues with understeer etc. A few swaybar adjustments, shock adjustment and different wheel alignment specs fixed the issued....mind you it took a while for it all to 'come together' again as we were very used to the super street...so it was much a learning curve.

As for what its like on the road....its firm. However with the shock absorbers set towards the softer end of adjustment the drive on the road is quite bearable and the smaller bumps tend to have the harshness taken off it if that makes sense.

If you want to know anything more, just let me know. Happy to help where i can.

is it possible to use my Teins' springs and fit them on a set of different brand shocks?

The springs will probably be a straight up 2.5" ID spring....so it will fit on any other coilover that uses a 2.5" spring. However, the free height of the spring, and even the rate may be a problem (it may not to).

Those springs wont suit standard, or standard replacement shock absorbers (KYB ETC).

I wish we have a track :)

so the monoflex isn't the best choice for what I'm planning to do, since it's not comfortable on streets, and I won't have the chance to hit any track.

choices are narrowed to Bilstein, Tein Super Street, and HKS Drag (found a used set for sale)

I'll be searching for info about the HKS Drag set, however, your feedback is most welcome :(

cheers,

Super Street. Have been in an R32 GTR with them and R33 GTS25T with them. Ride was sporty and compliant. And i dont believe the Teins will be durable as the Bilsteins but youl will still get an easy 50,000-80,000kms out of them based on the kms i have seen people getting from them

Super Street. Have been in an R32 GTR with them and R33 GTS25T with them. Ride was sporty and compliant. And i dont believe the Teins will be durable as the Bilsteins but youl will still get an easy 50,000-80,000kms out of them based on the kms i have seen people getting from them

Honestly, after checking all of the choices and prices, the best as I can imagine would be as what Todd replied here in this topic, Bilsteins & Eibach.

I tried to locate some dealers for the bilsteins, but it’s too hard to find a dealer who sells Skylines’ Bilsteins. I found some vendors couple of days ago, but their prices are too much.

50,000 to 80,000 kms is reasonable, isn’t it !!

hey mate,

would you please tell me waht springs rate you have on those monoflex? and how is the ride on pumpy streets?

how long you have them on your GTS?

I would really appreciate a clarification about the difference between the twin tube and the monotube. which one is better, and used for which type of driving.

hello,

if Bilstein is not hight adjustable, then it's out of my list. is the set you have hight adjustable?

Circlip grooved height adj. 2 hrs to adj. height but as with any height adj. gear you will need to do an alignment when you change the set height.

Had mine at 308mm frnt.

going back to 350mm fr, 340mm rr seems to be the best when its there

Nascar use Bilstein, Nissan sell an upgrade susp. pack for 350z range which is also Bilstein-they maynot be the absolute best but they dont cost $50K either so for the cost as to performance I am extremely happy with them- best Ive had so far, had KYB,KONI, & various others and the Bilsteins blow them all away- German Engineering FTMFW

Also being in Middle East you are closer to the Bilstein Factory than we are so contact them directly, You may not have the pollution prob's of Japan so Valves and rubbers will last you a considerably longer time.

HKS will be like Tein- where to service will be a prob for you

Australia is just like everywhere else, when the stocks run out we have to wait for the parent company to dispatch more to here via quota- ie we wait till Bilstein can sell enough to justify the shipment

my 2c

Circlip grooved height adj. 2 hrs to adj. height but as with any height adj. gear you will need to do an alignment when you change the set height.

Had mine at 308mm frnt.

going back to 350mm fr, 340mm rr seems to be the best when its there

Nascar use Bilstein, Nissan sell an upgrade susp. pack for 350z range which is also Bilstein-they maynot be the absolute best but they dont cost $50K either so for the cost as to performance I am extremely happy with them- best Ive had so far, had KYB,KONI, & various others and the Bilsteins blow them all away- German Engineering FTMFW

Also being in Middle East you are closer to the Bilstein Factory than we are so contact them directly, You may not have the pollution prob's of Japan so Valves and rubbers will last you a considerably longer time.

HKS will be like Tein- where to service will be a prob for you

Australia is just like everywhere else, when the stocks run out we have to wait for the parent company to dispatch more to here via quota- ie we wait till Bilstein can sell enough to justify the shipment

my 2c

I did check the Bilstein website few days ago, it seems that they don't have GTR shocks at the mean time (as the message on their website indicates). however, no harm to contact them. I'll try to call them and check again, maybe they can supply some shocks in reasonable time.

I'll see how it goes, it's eaither the Bilsteins, or the Super Street Teins. I'll let you know guys :blink:

thanks a lot for sharing all openions and information, greatly appreciated.

cheers.

latest update, I got a good deal on a new Tein Super Street kit from Amber Performance. I found them on ebay.

I bought that kit and it should be in the way.

I'll let you know how it goes when I fit it to my car.

cheers.

Edited by evil angel

latest update, I got a good deal on a new Tein Super Street kit from Amber Performance. I found them on ebay.

I bought that kit and it should be in the way.

I'll let you know how it goes when I fit it to my car.

cheers.

Will keep my eye on this thread for your reply, am interested to see what you think of them :D

• 4 weeks later...
Will keep my eye on this thread for your reply, am interested to see what you think of them :blink:

Hi,

sorry for being late, I did fit the kit to my GTR. I did some drive test on various streets to see how those coilovers respond.

I got them lowered to the end in three corners, the rear right corner will get lower than the rest if it's lowered to the end, I don't know why, maybe it's something in my car !!! or it's common in all BNR32 with those coilovers !!! I'm not sure. anyway, I couldn't do a 100% accurate measurement to all corners height, it was done using a regular foot measurement tool.

regarding height of the car, you won't be able to completely drop it to the ground, but it's more than enough for normal street use. if it's lower than that, I might suffer when facing any speed control pump on the road. furthermore, I like how my car looks on that height level.

I've tested the drive on different street condition, and different speeds. in all cases, the drive was really comfortable with very minor bouncing comparing with other stiff coilovers.

on normal streets, when I go on relatively normal speed, say 75 - 80 km, drive is smooth with nothing to mark. if I exceed that speed to more than 95 km, drive still smooth, but when I hit a pumpy spot on the road, or to be more specific, when there is a big sharp difference in road height, the front tires slightly touch the inner fender covers. however, I haven't had the chance to play with the damping force level yet. I think it might make a difference on other damping level.

on highways, I reached a speed of 195 km and the drive is comfortable and stable.

body rollover. the old kit I've removed was stiffer, so now I have some body rollover. not like the OEM dampers, but its there. however, as I mentioned, damping force still untouched. and I don't know what damping level I have now. it's because I had a water leak underneath the intake manifold and I had to take my car to the workshop and get it fixed. that thing had interrupted the testing process :happy:

nowadays, I'm taking the car again to the workshop to complete the project and put the rest of the parts. going serious with the GTK 850 turbo, full modified fuel system, AEM EMS,,, etc.

when I have the chance to play with the damping force, I'll let you know.

hey mate, on a 32GTR you don't want to go lower than ~350mm front and rear or the drive shaft angles end up crap.

this measurement is taken from the centre of the wheel to the outer guard (i.e. vertically directly up from the centre of each wheel, to the guard)

hey mate, on a 32GTR you don't want to go lower than ~350mm front and rear or the drive shaft angles end up crap.

this measurement is taken from the centre of the wheel to the outer guard (i.e. vertically directly up from the centre of each wheel, to the guard)

hi buddy,

I'll check the distance from the center of the wheel's center cap to the outer guard. but just to make sure, by saying the outer guard, you mean the fender's bow line above the tires (finder lip), right?

cheers

hi buddy,

I'll check the distance from the center of the wheel's center cap to the outer guard. but just to make sure, by saying the outer guard, you mean the fender's bow line above the tires (finder lip), right?

cheers

yep, that's right