SAU Community

R32 Gtr Aftermarket Fuel System Setup Problem. Is My System Too Big? Any Suggestions?

Hey guys!

I've finally got my car on the road after 2 years and i've got an issue with my new fuel system

Im running a twin bosch 044 external setup in the boot with 2.5L serge tank

I find especially in the warm weather that the fuel pumps get noisy as if there is not fuel. The serge tank also gets very hot

Is there a better way of setting up the fuel system

I'm running a t04z single turbo and currently got 400kw at all 4 wheels on a run-in tune @ 18PSI of boost

I'm concerned my fuel is getting too hot and airating

Any help would be much appreciated

I've added some pics to help

post-37747-1228538395_thumb.jpg

post-37747-1228538439_thumb.jpg

post-37747-1228538487_thumb.jpg

Hi Vince,

Your setup is overkill for your power output. Thats why the fuel is overheating.I recently had a T04Z setup pushing 430RWKW @ 24PSI and it only had one 044 (modified for intank) and just a SARD FPR. It ran all day every day without a hitch (even on hot days/heaver use).

The pumps are rated to 600HP each! So whay have two if you are only doing 400?? :)

Disclaimer: Above is just my personal experience to provide a different point of view for you :whoops:

I've been looking at this also for my return..

i've been told to run two 044's for anything over 400kw

check the motorsport section and a thread about Mark/Duncans 32 build. around the last pages is where its going on. (and also near the start of the thread too..)

Edited by Angus Smart

Hi Vince,

Your setup is overkill for your power output. Thats why the fuel is overheating.I recently had a T04Z setup pushing 430RWKW @ 24PSI and it only had one 044 (modified for intank) and just a SARD FPR. It ran all day every day without a hitch (even on hot days/heaver use).

The pumps are rated to 600HP each! So whay have two if you are only doing 400?? :banana:

Disclaimer: Above is just my personal experience to provide a different point of view for you :)

Simon the previous owner told me he had twin 044's with surge tank much like the one above and it was boiling the fuel. went back to the single 044 in tank and had no issues.

I'm pretty sure i'm running over 600HP at the engine

Once my tune is complete i'll probably be running 25PSI + of boost so i'll need the 2 pumps

I might try mounting the pumps in tank

Thanks heaps for your advice, i need everything i can get

Here are some pics of my fuel system when under construction. I havn't done alot of kms yet but have had no probs so far.

Running Aeromotive fuel pump and fuel pump controller, along with 2 filters and Aeromotive FPR.

It receives an RPM signal from the ECU and adjusts pump voltage.

Clicky here for fuel pump controller details

post-26406-1228621891_thumb.jpg

post-26406-1228621910_thumb.jpg

Nice one!

I like the idea of a fuel pump controller

Might do a little more research on this one.

I've spent way too much on this fuel system to just get rid of it

It makes sense to slow the pumps down when cruisin

Thanks for your help !!!

• 3 weeks later...

im having fuel issues with a single 044 with surge tank with return coming from the engine. hopefully i will manage to fit a fuel cooler system in the next few days and that should determine whether thats the problem or not.

the fuel pump will sometimes hesitate and almost cut out when the car is just cruising on the open road. when i have driven it at night i dont get the problem, nor if its only for a short drive.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought that may have been the problem but the problem still happens with a full tank. Because im running the return straight back into the surge tank for me it doesnt really matter how full my tank is. If i had an amazing lift pump perhaps, but im only running a rb20det pump at present into the tank and then the 044 from there.

A friend and I hacked up an oil cooler that we had lying around the other day. We mounted it in front of the radiator and ran the fuel return into it. Suddenly my previously hot surge tank is as cold as the car had never been started, and all of my fuel problems seem to have dissapeared. I have yet to test it in roasting hot weather however will in the next week or so.

I was a bit hesitant about mounting it there, however if i do crash the minimal fuel that will dump out i feel is going to be unlikely to be anything major.

I was very surprised that this was the problem, however doing hours of research on the net and reading up about it here im now another believer.

Edited by SirRacer

The twin pumps should ideally not be going full tilt/ 100% all the time. Quite alot of the time only one 044 is needed, it has a stock pile of extra fuel in the surge tank. Ideally if it's a drag car you just flick the two pumps on for whatever seconds and who cares the fuel isn't going to get too hot. On a road car /track car it's a different story.

Like a carby fuel bowl, the surge tank is there as a measure to ensure that should the lifter pump stumble at low tank levels in a corner you have fuel to keep the pumps fed. Also for non-efi cars that have no fuel tank baffles.

If the fuel lives in that container for too long in hot weather or the 044's cooking time is too long you get something alot milder than carby vapour lock, namely heat load on everything. Hence why a fuel cooler might help. there are other ways to do this better though.

Lots of ways to skin the cat here. But, the 100% use of the 044's all the time with one swirl pot and what looks like very little tank return (being very high on the pot) isn't doing favours for heat.

Also, just check the voltage supply /grounding for the pumps too.

Edited by rev210

A friend and I hacked up an oil cooler that we had lying around the other day. We mounted it in front of the radiator and ran the fuel return into it.

you are crazy mate get ya self a proper line cooler that isnt placed at the front of ya car, get it sorted b4 you kill ya self or someone else this is some stupid shit dude really, seriously what do u think will happin if you crash? 50+psi of fuel squrting ova everything all the wiring and shit? it might nt be much fuel but once it ignited god help you. book ya self into a cat scan or something gee

hahaha i was thinking the same thing, i was like o sweet as i guess that would work, then i thought about been in a crash, it would most likely ignite the fuel, i would hate to be around that, fuel is a pretty dangerous this, you dont want easily breakable things anywhere near where the car can get damaged, like the front or back, or near the sides, (which is why fuel lines run on inside of the rails tucked away)

you are crazy mate get ya self a proper line cooler that isnt placed at the front of ya car, get it sorted b4 you kill ya self or someone else this is some stupid shit dude really, seriously what do u think will happin if you crash? 50+psi of fuel squrting ova everything all the wiring and shit? it might nt be much fuel but once it ignited god help you. book ya self into a cat scan or something gee

here here! that is plain stupid!

sir racer - do you not know that EFI pumps can continue to run even after you smash?!?!

Im facing almost the same issue. Its a shame that no one locally sells a "bolt on 400awkw plus fuel line and pump kit" for GTR's, eg lines, pumps and fittings