SAU Community

Headlight Reconditioning

N1GTR

Hey guys,

Ive wanted to put this group buy up for a while but have been busy, so here it is!

Basically the story goes that I have a Supra with quite "clouded" headlights, which make it look shitty, so I found a guy who will make them literally look like new and for a price i think is VERY reasonable.

Replacement lights for Supra's are around the $1100 mark, for reference justjap sell R33 lights for $1300, so using this GB is a no brainer really!

This will suit any headlights, not just skylines, so dont be afraid if you've got a commodore daily driver or whatever!

This is not just a quick wipe with $20 cleaner from justjap, the lights are dismantled, scrubbed, buffed inside and out, then polished inside and out, twice. Then they're sealed as the factory seals lights and ready for use again. Those sort of $20 cleaners are good to keep already clear lights clean

If you're happy with the job a $20 tube of lens cleaner does or reckon you can do it for cheaper then good for you dont post in here, just accept your 2nd rate job or having to do all the work yourself and risk not getting it right :)

Lights can also be painted inside if you're going for a bit of a different look, my Supra lights were painted during reconditioning, pics below...

Below are some before and after shots of JZA80 lights;

Before

205a0bc.jpg

Respray

fvi884.jpg

After

2cmn5zp.jpg

On the car

2qrzl6r.jpg

Here are a set of R33 lights (before and after);

t97fbs.jpg

2z6wc4n.jpg

2gy243t.jpg

35izm2f.jpg

244slmq.jpg

wmnodf.jpg

152m790.jpg

2m4bsx3.jpg

i2j66g.jpg

Now its not fair that Sydneysiders have this opportunity and others dont, so ive organised this as a return service. That means you box up the lights and send them over from whereever you are in Australia (Perth, Tasmania, Darwin and everywhere inbetween), they will be reconditioned and sent back to you.

The normal cost for this service is $70 per light or $140 for the pair. So what i've negotiated is that the price will include delivery (insured) Australia wide regardless of where they have to go to.

How to use this service is very simple;

1st step: Either drop off your lights (If you live in Sydney), or mail them to;

SAU Headlight group buy

PO BOX 518

SEVEN HILLS 1730

NSW

.....dont forget to include yoour return address in the box (a hand written note will be fine, just make sure its exactly where you want them sent back to, please include postcodes), or even use the senders details area. If you dont do this the lights cant be sent back!

2nd step: Deposit money into bank account

Im taking care of all the money for this and organising the return postage to make sure everything runs smoothly

Bank details are;

Name: Stephen Hugh-Smith

BSB: 062 028

AC: 10247000

Bank: CBA

Amount: $140

Please use your SAU name as the ID so I know who's money belongs to who.

PM me the receipt number

3rd step: Wait for the lights to be returned

Lights will be sent back usually within 8 working days to capital cities, 10 days to rural areas.

Lights will be sent via Australia Post and will include insurance and a tracking number.

Once your lights come back take some pics and post them up here for others to see, then put them on your car and enjoy :)

Some questions im expecting to be asked;

Q. Why not do it myself?

A. You can do that of course, but by the time you buy the stuff needed, take the lights apart, buffx2, polishx2 and seal correctly you're better off letting someone who's done it before do it as it will be right the first time and there's no guesswork or risk required

Q. How long will they stay clear?

A. They'll stay clear forever if your car lives indoors. For an outside car its best to wash the lights on a regular basis (if you wash your car often you should be fine).

Q. Why do this over buying new?

A. The cost for new is pretty high and this will give the same result for much less money

Q. Can cracks be fixed?

A. In most cases yes, but its a case by case basis. If the cracks are fixable they'll be done free of charge

Q. I want to make 100% sure they dont fog up again, what can i do?

A. Wash them on a regular basis, eg once a week when your car is washed. Dont be afraid to use a bit of lens cleaner on them every 6-8 months if your car spends a lot of time outdoors

Q. I need them back ASAP, what can be done?

A. Express post to most of Australia is another $35 and means a 1-2 day delivery time. PM me if you need them back faster than 8 working days

Q. I cant have my car off the road soon but i want the lights fixed, when will this service stop?

A. June 6th 2009 is the last day for this GB. Everyone will have a chance to take part of this within the next 6.5 months, if not, well, you need a holiday!

Thats about it guys! If there's any questions ive missed please PM me and ill get back to you. Otherwise, start unscrewing your headlights and get them back before the xmas break :D

Cheers

-Steve

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The R33 lights in Steve's pictures in the first post came from my R33 GTS-T.

They were that cloudy and dull they looked really crap. They were that bad that I was seriously looking at spending $1200 and buying a new set from Just Jap.

Steve arranged for the lights to be repaired and returned in a bit over a week and in real life they are every bit as good as the pictures. I am very impressed by the care that was taken to disassemble, repair and reassemble the lights. There was not a single mark on them and they came back looking like brand new lights.

I would recommend this Group Buy to any SAU member who has lights that look cloudy and dull - the best part is that with what I saved on buying new lights I was able to buy a new Jim Berry clutch (that is what I call putting the money that I saved to good use).

I will hopefully be at the NSW SAU Christmas Cruise this weekend and NSW members should fell free to come and check out my lights.

I will def get back to you about my headlights! :P

Can he also do other lights eg. reverse lights?

My reverse lights need a good buff inside and out.

No probs!

Yes reverse lights can be done, cost will be minimal :)

praise the son of rajab.... I've been hanging for this one...

It will have to be in the new year though...

Great goin Steve....

Yep as promised!

Anytime thats good for you is fine

The R33 lights in Steve's pictures in the first post came from my R33 GTS-T.

They were that cloudy and dull they looked really crap. They were that bad that I was seriously looking at spending $1200 and buying a new set from Just Jap.

Steve arranged for the lights to be repaired and returned in a bit over a week and in real life they are every bit as good as the pictures. I am very impressed by the care that was taken to disassemble, repair and reassemble the lights. There was not a single mark on them and they came back looking like brand new lights.

I would recommend this Group Buy to any SAU member who has lights that look cloudy and dull - the best part is that with what I saved on buying new lights I was able to buy a new Jim Berry clutch (that is what I call putting the money that I saved to good use).

I will hopefully be at the NSW SAU Christmas Cruise this weekend and NSW members should fell free to come and check out my lights.

Glad you're happy mate

Its good to hear you were able to get the new clutch!

i have scratches and glue on my r34 headlights, can he fix that?

Scratches can be fixed if they arent too deep, glue i honestly cant say over the net without at least seeing a pic - its a case by case basis to be honest, best is to send them to get cleaned and he'll do his best do fix them up.

Where exactly do we drop them off if we choose that option?

Thanks.

My place. So instead of having a heap of people coming around all the time id prefer the mail option :(

hey mate GB is great. however i need my car on a daily basis and cant drive without headlights. ill be up in sydney in feb for 3 days would you be able to do it within tha time? so i come up ill take my lights out hand it over and get it done before i leave?

ta

Ash

good job Steve I'm interested but need to organise loaner headlights as i don't have a daily

can he spray a clear coat over the top as its the air and plastic that makes that ugly film appear

Yes no problems, from memory that included but ill make sure its done anyway on all of them

Sorry i cant help out with loaner headlights, its just not practical being an interstate group buy - but with xmas break coming up is there a bit of time you can just get drunk and not need the car? hahaha

Excellent. Will get back to you :thumbsup:

No probs mate :)

out standing!!!!!

come on holidays.

Haha no probs mate

hey mate GB is great. however i need my car on a daily basis and cant drive without headlights. ill be up in sydney in feb for 3 days would you be able to do it within tha time? so i come up ill take my lights out hand it over and get it done before i leave?

ta

Ash

Yes thats fine, get in touch with dates etc and ill organise the rest

Bring me the girl in your av for 3 days, fair trade :banana:

As my passenger headlight is new the drivers one looks crappy, also has some scratches on it.

Might be in for this one.

Steve if i send you pics can you forward them on to the repairer? i want to see if my scratches are fixable.

Yeah no probs! You've got my email address :thumbsup:

Also I got your message last night but was in and out of reception, ill reply when your on msn next

Yes thats fine, get in touch with dates etc and ill organise the rest

Bring me the girl in your av for 3 days, fair trade :P

deal its written here you want me to bring you the girl but you didnt say in what form

so

ill bring you a carboard cutot of her for you. DEAL

lol thanks mate ill let you know and ye we can go from there.

ta

Ash

deal its written here you want me to bring you the girl but you didnt say in what form

so

ill bring you a carboard cutot of her for you. DEAL

lol thanks mate ill let you know and ye we can go from there.

ta

Ash

lol, yeah let me know dates

great deal, I'm in for this.. really soon.

Thanks for organising teh GB

cheers !!

No probs!